Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #1

Music in campgrounds

Who has noticed an increase in loud music in campgrounds? I don't mind music at a low volume or a game going on however, I have noticed a irritating trend of campers putting loud music on that you can hear 50 sites down. If you call the park office all they say is quiet time is at 1000 pm. But you can't contact anyone after 1000 PM and the park officers are never thru after that time. I camp mostly at Ohio State Parks and they used to be a quiet peaceful family atmosphere where you can get away from urban noise and enjoy a quiet campfire talking with your kids. Now it seems like they are a place for loud parties that go on until 3 or 4 in the morning and they usually leave their campsite a mess. Yes I am venting but this last weekend was terrible. Thanks for the internet therapy session.
pwrstroke2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #2

I have to agee with you. I am from NY and I seem to notice over the last several years music in campgrounds is climbing. I seems to me more people who are camping are not really campers, but people who are doing it because it is cheaper than being in hotels and renting houses. I also noticed that respecting your camp site is changing. More people have no issues with walking thru other peoples site. I hate that. Thanks for letting me vent....
Jjsav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #3

It all goes along with a trend that is happening in all areas of our live, Me First and The Heck With Others. I've been at campgrounds with the loud music and am not afraid to go over to them an politely say "You know the music is a little loud". If I have to go back a second time then I get down right straight to the point. "Your music is TOO loud and the rest of us would like to hear our own not yours"! I think you'll find that this will happen more and more in the state parks because of the lower cost to camp there, and with the economy it'll attract people with less manners.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #4

We had a bad experience in a campground once after the rangers went home and since then we always stay where they have a campground host. We have never had a problem since. You might try calling the sheriffs department, there are laws against disturbing the peace.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:11 AM   #5

Noisy Neighbours

We have also noticed the trend to loud, thumping music in the campgrounds. We mostly camp in provincial parks where they have regulations stating that your music should only be heard on your site. We don't expect it to be that low but if you can hear it from 5 or 6 sites away and it sounds like it is coming from your trailer, then that is a little extreme. It seems the weekends are worse for this type of behavior. This past summer, we even had campers near us leave their music on then leave for the afternoon. Every camper should be able to enjoy their time out with family but should also show respect to other campers.

Bill & Diane
Cobalt, Ont
Wildcat661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
I think you'll find that this will happen more and more in the state parks because of the lower cost to camp there, and with the economy it'll attract people with less manners.

Are you saying that rich people have better manners ???
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post

Uh Sure they do.. (NOTTTTT)

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #8

Another reason why I never stay in campgrounds unless I have to. Which is usually never.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post

yeah right....i refuse to travel or camp within 2 spots of some of our 750k+ motorhome driving "friends"....(ie relatives)......they moan, complain, dont like food cooked over a fire, and dont like to be cold, hot, dirty, or smell like smoke!! LOL.....not even really sure why they bother to come on "camping" trips other than to show off their expensive toys that they dont even really know how to work in the first place.....?

there are some really nice state parks here in tx with great views, fishing, hiking, and biking...so i dont have issue at all with them...

on one occasion, we had some hillybillys having what sounded like a barn dance a few sites over....they lasted through the night, but about 7am i heard someone asking them to leave....and by the time i got up they were gone...

on another, some meskins were thumping tejano and yealling all night.....finally i got tired of it and walked over and asked them to tone it down.....i think me being meskin myself and asking them in spanish may have helped! LOL....either way, they got kicked out in the morning as well...i guess the ranger answering machine was full of complaints...

other than those two times, i have never had a situation that could not be averted by simply being polite and asking people to keep it under a yell could not solve.....

i get more irritated with unwelcome and loose pets coming to my site, and people letting their kids ride, run, walk through my site......i have a 200lb great dane who does not appreciate other peoples pets peeing on the trailer tires or otherwise... He seems to attract kids though, and LOVES them...he will bark at adults he does not know, but turns into a 200lb licking machine with little kids...lol..so maybe thats part of the problem with kids at my sites...?
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #10

I would rather listen to some music than some of the obnoxious conversations/arguing that you sometimes hear.
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #11

Quote:
No, just different music and nicer sound systems...
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #12
Camper Less Camping

I don't mind a little loud music UNTIL it extends pass quiet hours then it's a problem.

Also, dogs running around without leashes and/or barking to the moon all night (when kept outdoors) gets really old!
Overall, we've lucked out to not be annoyed by either of these situations during our camping trips more than a couple of times.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #13

I usually play music on my outside sound system in the evening. Some folks have actually thanked me, as they enjoyed my play list. Never play after quiet hours start.

Generally I'm pretty tolerant of the noise other people make. We're all on vacation after all, so noise and a good time usually go hand in hand. But there are always the usual campground nazis fretting about people having a good time and wanting to impose their retirement home rules on them. If it's still loud past midnight, I might have a word with them, but if it's not too rowdy, I'll let it pass.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #14
GreyWolfGig

Wow....some funny conversation here. Quite honestly I don't mind music at moderate levels....especially if its Johnny Cash and not after hours. When we camp....its usually with a group of friends and we like to sit around the fire and have a few beers, a few laughs and a few games of eucre. I think live music around the fire involving a guitar and someone singing is pretty cool....but again....not loud. What I find is happening here in Michigan....with gas prices the way they are. Its cheaper to camp closer to home in your local surroundings where you may know many of the people where you are camping. Camping here in Michigan is definately not cheaper than staying in hotels/motels.....after you factor in fuel pulling an RV....stocking the fridge with groceries versus eating out for 2 days...and the time spent in preparation to camp. Here its cheaper to rent a camping cabin or mom and pop type resort motel room for sure. But most people prefer camping because you don't have people thru a 4" wall next door. Most hotels/motels do not offer a centrally located area to socialize with friends....unless you consider a hotel lobby one of these places. At our camp outings.....the firepit is the center of our outings. We cook, serve and eat our meals over it and around it. And when we get tired we each resort back to RV's for rest....and that is the time for peace anf quiet. Til then....we really don't make a big issue on what other people are doing at other lots. Most of us have kids.....and dogs. For certain we were all kids at one time. The kids riding their bikes or having a good time at the playground during daylight hours does not bother me....nor do the dogs. But after hours....we are respectful of others around us.....and expect the same in return.
GreyWolfGig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #15
Site Team

I rather not hear someone elses music, tv or discussions to the point that I cannot enjoy my time. The later into the night the less I expect to be subject to someone elses noise.

Too many people think of themselves without regards to others. At 1:00 AM yesterday morning my campsite neighbors decided to start honking so that the person in their spot would come move the truck that was in the way. The truck owner happened to be with the group that was playing music a bit too loud earlier in the evening too.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfGig View Post
Wow....some funny conversation here. Quite honestly I don't mind music at moderate levels....especially if its Johnny Cash and not after hours. When we camp....its usually with a group of friends and we like to sit around the fire and have a few beers, a few laughs and a few games of eucre. I think live music around the fire involving a guitar and someone singing is pretty cool....but again....not loud. What I find is happening here in Michigan....with gas prices the way they are. Its cheaper to camp closer to home in your local surroundings where you may know many of the people where you are camping. Camping here in Michigan is definately not cheaper than staying in hotels/motels.....after you factor in fuel pulling an RV....stocking the fridge with groceries versus eating out for 2 days...and the time spent in preparation to camp. Here its cheaper to rent a camping cabin or mom and pop type resort motel room for sure. But most people prefer camping because you don't have people thru a 4" wall next door. Most hotels/motels do not offer a centrally located area to socialize with friends....unless you consider a hotel lobby one of these places. At our camp outings.....the firepit is the center of our outings. We cook, serve and eat our meals over it and around it. And when we get tired we each resort back to RV's for rest....and that is the time for peace anf quiet. Til then....we really don't make a big issue on what other people are doing at other lots. Most of us have kids.....and dogs. For certain we were all kids at one time. The kids riding their bikes or having a good time at the playground during daylight hours does not bother me....nor do the dogs. But after hours....we are respectful of others around us.....and expect the same in return.
well said.....that was the initial point i was trying to make...there is a difference between being willingly social with others be it family or other campers and others FORCING their camping experience on you...

i am always the first to say hi to my neighbors, chat with them, offer them a beer, and a seat around the campfire...there have been times when the people camping around us for 2-3 sites over have ended up at our site shooting the breeze ...guys talking work, cars, sports, politics while the ladys talk shopping and kids or decorating or whatever it is they do, and the kids all run, bike, and play together.....i mean isnt that what its all about?....then again there are times when my neighbors are quiet and keep to themselves....so other than saying hi, and nice trailer, 5er, coach, ect, i just let them be and respect thier obvious desire for solitude....

i was more referring to opening the door at 7am and finding some other campers dog i have no idea where they came from greet me on my patio barking and peeing on my zero gravity lounger...or the people next door fighting becase someone forgot the marshmallows or some dumb crap....
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #17
GreyWolfGig

With all due respect mr. Terier sir. You need your own 40 acre parcel of land with one single camp lot situated smack dab in the middle of it just for you and your RV. And I can fully respect that....as there are times when I want to do the same. Perhaps you need to be a little more selective in your campground choices. I myself....consider camping a recreation for my family and our friends to enjoy. In Michigan we only have about a 4-5 month window to camp....before the temps get too cold. No pun intended...if I wanna sit inside and draw the shades at 7:30 in the evening to dead silence.....I will stay home. You may wanna consider the same....its much cheaper.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #18
GreyWolfGig

Gotcha ironj.....you would definately fit in well with our group. This past Labor day weekend.....I came back to camp after making a trip to town for firewood and other supplies. To about 35 people sitting around our campfire to which I knew about 20. My wife had invited some people from a few sites over to eat around our fire with us. These people noticed and admired the way we did things as a group....and so my wife extended the invite. I must admit....things can get a little noisy with that many people B.S.ing and what not....thats why we try to eat our dinners between 6-7 in the early evenings.....so things quiet down around the fire by 9. Its a lot of fun.....but we understand that there has to be limits. We have a rule of thumb we generally go by. Take a moment.....look around in all directions at the sites close by of people you don't know. If people are no longer sitting out around their campfires....or under their awnings. Its quiet time. And trust me.....its a good rule to live by. We love camping....and never want to not be invited back by the ranger.....camp director....or worse the local sheriff.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #19

I haven't noticed any increase in loud music and such during our last few camping trips. Can we blame this on exterior sound systems maybe, or is it boom boxes? I have exterior speakers and use it a bunch. Never louder then what I can hear a few feet from the camper, that would be rude IMO.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #20

It is not the loud noise during the day but the people who stay up till 2 of 3 in the morning drinking and yelling. Plus I go camping to enjoy my site and not have little rug rats running through my site. You are renting a small piece of land to park your trailer on. It is no different then being at home. Would you like it if all your neighbours had all night parties and were playing the music loud and standing outside their homes yelling at each other. I bet you would be calling the police. There are some provincial parks that have no radio zones.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote