Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2014, 08:51 PM   #1
Salem Cruise Lite Owner

My 2015 Cruise Lite: Issues

My letter to Forest River and the dealer:
VIN # 261BH
Questions/Concerns: Note : This unit is our fourth RV. We are experienced campers.
Addressed to XXXXXXX and Forest River :
1. PLEASE check the shower sprayer connection on the tub! The sprayer was not even close to being tight, causing a flood that ran all the way to the bunk in the front. This flood could easily have caused a lot of damage.
2. The tub access panel does not cover the hole in the side wall of the tub. The hole was cut too large. A picture can be provided. This is gap is over a 1/2 inch and is very long. This is just sloppy.
3. The shower curtain track is not mounted close to the shower head. Water can easily run out. This could be corrected in other units.
4. XXXXXX RV had to remount both closet rods next to the bed. Clothes could not be hung because the rods were too close to the door.
5. Minor issue ; drain plug in the shower broken in half.
6. The dinette table is too close to the window which does not allow the shade to close all the way. This could be corrected in other units.
7. The thermostat is located directly above two heat ducts! Temperatures in the main living area are four degrees cooler when the control calls to shut down the heat.
8. Directed at Forest River only : The light over the dinette is mounted crooked. Can more care be taken to mount the light to parallel the wall?
9. Directed at Forest River only: Our unit does not have the outside kitchen and bumper mounted grill. We don't expect that a extra door be mounted on the outside where the kitchen would be but an entire large storage space, under the double lower bunk goes un-utilized! How about putting a hole in the board under the bunk? As the dinette seat storage works so can the back bunk!!!
XXXXXX RV : Thank YOU for moving the closet rods, replacing the broken refrigerator access door, replacing the missing bedroom blind and especially for installing piston rods on the queen size bed so my wife doesn't break her back raising the panel.
We REALLY would like a reply from Forest River and MAYBE some of this can save other customers from having to accept units in this condition.
Bushbunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:54 PM   #2
Salem Cruise Lite Owner

Never received a reply from Forest River.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
Site Team

Sorry to hear of the issues with your 2015 CL unit. Hopefully your letter will help others. BTW - Did your dealer respond to the letter? Did you order this unit or did you buy it off the lot?

My dealer did a detailed PDI prior to my arrival to take delivery. They tested everything and if they did find anything they didn't share it with me. I haven't had problems with my unit and it's a entry level unit.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:25 PM   #4

I have had similiar Non-Response from the Sanibel side of Forrest River. I bought a 40' 3601 Sanibel 5th wheel "extended stay" unit planning to park it in a campground as a permanent. I immediately found that the electric side of the Suburban water heater didn't work at all, and about one week before the season ended, the furnace stopped lighting (blower works but it won't fire) I contacted the dealership to get someone to respond to the campground to fix them under warranty. They had me call someone, who never responded. I wrote a letter of complaint to the Forrest River service manager back in the first part of November, 2014 and to date, 12/27/14, haven't even gotten a note that they received the letter.
Not a good start to a new owner of one of their "premier" units-
Forecaddiegolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:32 PM   #5

Forest River must not have a quality inspection program, or they just don't give a damn about what they put out. Our 2015 Salem Cruise Lite had similar, small issues that should have been corrected before it left the factory. I'm ashamed to tell people it's American made! For example, our TP holder fell off the the wall when we installed the first roll!
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #6
Site Team

Just a reminder, as it says at the bottom of every page here, FRF is not associated with Forest River.
and the chances that any corporate employee of FR reading anything on the Forum, is extremely remote.
Only a handful of their employees are members here and that's a personal choice of theirs and we're fortunate to have them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forecaddiegolf View Post
I have had similiar Non-Response from the Sanibel side of Forrest River. I bought a 40' 3601 Sanibel 5th wheel "extended stay" unit planning to park it in a campground as a permanent. I immediately found that the electric side of the Suburban water heater didn't work at all, and about one week before the season ended, the furnace stopped lighting (blower works but it won't fire) I contacted the dealership to get someone to respond to the campground to fix them under warranty. They had me call someone, who never responded. I wrote a letter of complaint to the Forrest River service manager back in the first part of November, 2014 and to date, 12/27/14, haven't even gotten a note that they received the letter.
Not a good start to a new owner of one of their "premier" units-
Call Prime time and ask for Shane Imus or Rick.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #8

Location: West, Texas (the town, not the western part of the state)
wow, and that's a new trailer ;-(

We bought a 2014 Salem Cruiser Lite in October and noticed several small sloppy things (toilet paper holder DID fall off right away)

Luckily our dealer checked out and fixed several items before we took delivery, most disturbing was that the roof AC unit didn't work and had to be replaced. The guys that replaced it were under a lot of deadline stress anyway and here the first job of the day (detailing our trailer) put them 2 hours behind. The AC works great, but there was a lot of dirt and grease on the ceiling we can't seem to get out so we just got used to the handprints.

One thing I did go back and ask in person about, the salesman had pointed out the antennae and cable outlets inside the trailer, but the cable has no exterior inlet.(plug?) The tech said that has caused a lot of complaints on the model, that you think you have cable connections but there's nothing connected to it behind the wall. They will install it for me next spring, but I've gotten no answer from emails and calls to Forest River about it as to why the interior connection is there if the trailer is not prepped for it.

But we do love the little trailer ;-)
kralspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Just a reminder, as it says at the bottom of every page here, FRF is not associated with Forest River.
and the chances that any corporate employee of FR reading anything on the Forum, is extremely remote.
Only a handful of their employees are members here and that's a personal choice of theirs and we're fortunate to have them.
Maybe corporate FR should participate in this forum and begin to answer some of the concerns and problems their consumers have about their products. Most of the minor, but annoying problems have been fixed here at home. It wasn't worth the time and expense in taking it back to our dealer.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfarmcafe View Post
Maybe corporate FR should participate in this forum and begin to answer some of the concerns and problems their consumers have about their products. Most of the minor, but annoying problems have been fixed here at home. It wasn't worth the time and expense in taking it back to our dealer.
good luck with that. how many RV websites have you seen RV corporate employees participate in? i'm sure there aren't many at all. maybe a handful.
like i said, we have a handful of FR employees who are members, that try and help the ones whose brand they represent.
many times they have been assaulted by members, when they are only tying to help. they have very little control over how the divisions are run.
if i were one, i'd never attempt to try and help because i'd just end up being a target. i admire the few that do here.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:38 AM   #11

40+ year RV'r here with my 2 cents. It's not just FR with quality issues. I no longer own my 2011 Flagstaff TT. It was replaced last year with my 7th RV, a Keystone Cougar 5th wheel. Two holding tanks replaced (damaged during assembly), trim moldings falling off and a bathroom cabinet door that was never glued together and literally fell apart. All this was repaired under warranty after waiting months for parts. There were a few other items I fixed myself out of frustration with Keystone and Camping World.

Bottom line. Keystone is just as bad as FR and the rest of the Indiana Mafia.

In most instances, material quality is not the issue. (Although in the quest for lighter units this has suffered over the years.) The majority of the issues I've seen and heard of are directly related to quality of "workmanship" and "quality control" in the assembly process.

I've had many conversations with my friends and neighbors in the RV park, where we spend our winters. There are many different brands, models, and types of RV's including some high $$$ 5th wheels and class A's all with similar stories to tell. No one is immune from this. The same problems are rampant through out the industry.

My only advice is to do a detailed PDI prior to delivery and don't plan on accepting the unit until everything has been fixed and all systems tested.
fran8824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:36 PM   #12

Thanks fran8824 for your comments. I'd like to take your advise a little further and ask, in your opinion, are the best 3 TT companies in the country, as well as the worse 3. Just your opinion only, but you did say you had over 40 years in RV's. We hope to trade units within a year, and as you suggested, we'll do a more detailed inspection before we even think of buying it, and certainly one before delivery. We hope not to make the same mistake again. Thanks for all your comments!
Old 12-29-2014, 05:55 PM   #13
Salem Cruise Lite Owner

Reply to all and thank you!

First, I appreciate all the replies. It is somewhat concerning that my unit was not the exception to the rule. My toilet paper holder also fell off the wall, after I wrote my letter. The dealer's check list would not have passed an audit. One straight line through every topic, including items not associated with the trailer. Forest River or the dealer did not reply to my letter. I do love my trailer, now that all the bugs are out but the sloppy details concern me with future down the road concerns. When will the roof leak?
Old 12-31-2014, 11:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfarmcafe View Post
Thanks fran8824 for your comments. I'd like to take your advise a little further and ask, in your opinion, are the best 3 TT companies in the country, as well as the worse 3. Just your opinion only, but you did say you had over 40 years in RV's. We hope to trade units within a year, and as you suggested, we'll do a more detailed inspection before we even think of buying it, and certainly one before delivery. We hope not to make the same mistake again. Thanks for all your comments!
It's not easy to say who is the best or worst. I have owned RVs from at least 3 or 4 different manufacturers. Some were very good some were junk. IMO one of the problems is that we, the buying public, are not holding the manufactures to a higher standard. Except for a handful of high end companies that most of us could never afford, they are all guilty of producing an inferior product for the price they charge for it.
Let your money talk and your feet walk. Don't sign anything until you are completely satisfied and walk away until anything wrong is corrected. If they don't have your money yet, you will be amazed at how fast repairs can be made. A thorough PDI inspection should take the better part of a day at least, followed by an overnight stay, if possible at the dealers or nearby campground.
fran8824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fran8824 View Post
It's not easy to say who is the best or worst. I have owned RVs from at least 3 or 4 different manufacturers. Some were very good some were junk. IMO one of the problems is that we, the buying public, are not holding the manufactures to a higher standard. Except for a handful of high end companies that most of us could never afford, they are all guilty of producing an inferior product for the price they charge for it.
Let your money talk and your feet walk. Don't sign anything until you are completely satisfied and walk away until anything wrong is corrected. If they don't have your money yet, you will be amazed at how fast repairs can be made. A thorough PDI inspection should take the better part of a day at least, followed by an overnight stay, if possible at the dealers or nearby campground.
Thanks for your comments and advise. One other point is the dealer "assured" us that they did a complete inspection after it was delivered to their lot, so I guess they should be evaluated as well. We will do more looking around next time.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:48 PM   #16
Site Team

The unit should arrive with nothing wrong but in real life they sometimes do need something fix. The service department at the dealership plays a big role in the PDI. They should be checking out everything to make sure everything is working correctly. The new owners usually will do a detailed PDI/Walk-through prior to taking delivery. This walk-through is where the new owners are shown how to work the RV system and to verify that everything is working correctly.

The leaky shower hose connection should had be caught the factory first. The service department should had been second in line to notice there was an issue. And during the walk-though it should had been noted provided the shower was turned on. On another note it is possible that the dealership tech had loosen the connection while checking it out. I'm guessing but maybe the tech removed the hose and it wasn't tighten enough when put back on. I have seen service techs remove parts from other RVs on the lot to fix something on an RV in service.

Based on my own experience there should had been 3 chances to find the problem before taking it out camping.

Once you get all the issues taken care of I hope you will be able to enjoy your unit to the fullest.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote