RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-26-2017, 07:05 AM   #1

My Dometic RM3962 Issue

Hello everyone, I am needing help trying to figure out a problem with my my dometic rm 3962 refrigerator in my 2013 CC 34rlsa. It isn't cooling at all. It does light up in the fridge, the temperature is shown at 60, the fan is on, i can feel the heat from the heater working. I have tried for day or two on electric and a day or two on gas but no change. I took it to the shop and it worked fine for them getting down to 33 over night here in TX and all they did was plug it in and it worked on gas. I had them keep it for a couple of weeks to try a few times and when I went to pick it up last week it was at 37. I am now on another trip and it is doing the same exact thing, all turns on but will not cool. I have no error messages.
2003 Four Winns Funship 214 Deckboat - Hawaiian Breeze
Av8orLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:47 AM   #2
Head Rambler

Are the batteries charged?
Are you plugged into shore power?

Have you tried running it on gas and electric?
What is the temp set to?

You could have an intermittent or high resistance connection at the lower control board. Try unplugging the connectors and cleaning the pins and sockets and see if that helps.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:29 AM   #3

Yes I was plugged in and battery was charged. I have tried on bother electric and gas for days at a time on each. Temp has been set to 5, 3 and 1.
Where is the lower control board?
Old 07-26-2017, 11:26 AM   #4
Head Rambler

The lower control board is in the back of the fridge. Should be under a plastic cover.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:17 PM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Had the same trouble....read carefully!!!!!

Av8orLou

Back in September 2010, on our very first outing with our brand new Georgetown, our fridge, the Dometic RM3962, did not work when we went out camping. Even on the second and third outing, same thing, not working electric or propane. Took it back in the fall for a number of warranty issues and told them to address the fridge issue.

Picked it up from the dealer weeks later....their report was, the fridge worked fine when tested several times, both electric or propane. Can't fix what isn't broke right? They even proved it worked and was cooling properly when we picked it up.

Took it back home, squeezed in one more camping adventure before the end of the season.....once again....no fridge cooling, electric or propane. WTF?

NO ONE COULD FIGURE IT OUT. In the meantime, we relocated storing the motorhome from our property to a private storage lot.....then went camping one more time. Guess what????? It worked, and always has ever since.

Only after countless hours thinking it over, I figured out the fix.

Any idea?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S
and might rarely get pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Av8orLou

Back in September 2010, on our very first outing with our brand new Georgetown, our fridge, the Dometic RM3962, did not work when we went out camping. Even on the second and third outing, same thing, not working electric or propane. Took it back in the fall for a number of warranty issues and told them to address the fridge issue.

Picked it up from the dealer weeks later....their report was, the fridge worked fine when tested several times, both electric or propane. Can't fix what isn't broke right? They even proved it worked and was cooling properly when we picked it up.

Took it back home, squeezed in one more camping adventure before the end of the season.....once again....no fridge cooling, electric or propane. WTF?

NO ONE COULD FIGURE IT OUT. In the meantime, we relocated storing the motorhome from our property to a private storage lot.....then went camping one more time. Guess what????? It worked, and always has ever since.

Any idea?
No clue
Old 07-26-2017, 12:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Av8orLou

Any idea?
Please let me know because it sounds like the same thing happening to me. Works fine and they can't fix what isn't broken
Old 07-26-2017, 12:44 PM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

Our driveway was sloped!!!

It didn't concern me for parking, I used the parking brake, and even put blocks in front of the tires at times if parked for long periods.

I didn't consider it sloped too much, but truly....I would NOT camp at that much of a slope. In our case it was nose low....ass end high.

Turns out, RV fridges such as the RM3962, are absorption refrigerators, not the same as your residential electric only refrigerators. Inside absorption fridges, there's fluid that is key to them working/cooling properly. If you are tilted enough from level for a period of time, that can cause them to shut down or assume the sloping as the new norm.

The new storage location was level, and never had the problem again. All these years later, the RV is stored level, we camp level....
No more problems, and at no time did anyone helping to troubleshoot ask about my driveway. They heard i parked at home, and moved on to the next question.

QUESTION TO YOU.....IS YOUR RIG ALWAYS LEVEL?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S
and might rarely get pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:46 PM   #9
Steelhorzz

I've had the same thing happen to our fridge numerous times. Fails while traveling, works great in the shop!! Our rig has always been level when the fridge stopped working!! Once when out I saw the temp rise during the day as we were repeatedly opening the door during the day. I turned the switch off and then back on. The temp went from 38 to 43 just by doing that. The temp did start to go back down after a while. Next day it happened again. This time I recorded a video as I turned the switch on and off. (Documentation!). Took the coach in, ('12 Georgetown 360), and again it worked fine in the shop. I called Dometic directly, emailed them the video. They said replace the control panel. I had them call and tell my shop. It was covered under the extended warranty. Haven't had any problem since. I've also added a Dometic accessory fan behind the fridge, (dealer installed), to circulate air rather than rely on hot air rising., 2 Vaterra fans on the shelves inside, and the (clip on fans) on the inside to the fins they have all seemed to help. However, I also purchased a Coleman 12 / 110 volt electric fridge, for the future, just in case......
Blue Ox Tow System / U.S. Gear Unified Tow Brake
Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:37 PM   #10

My coach is and was level. It doesn't cool at all I wish I could turn it off and on to get it to work a little for me but I get nothing. My refrigerator is an absorption type as well.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:58 PM   #11

My Dometic RM3962 Issue

I have the same fridge and we are experiencing the same problems. As I write this the temp is 49 degrees F, it is set on 5 (coldest). We have been on the road for 2 weeks and it is hot out here in the West. All our sites have been level, wouldn't move my slides if we weren't. It's mostly been on 110 volt and propane while driving only. I have a fan in the box and have checked the thermostat sensor. Outside the fan is running and there are no restrictions that I can see. This is very frustrating, I've had to throw out a lot of food because of this.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance!
2015 Coachmen Chaparral 336 TSIK

Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8orLou View Post
Hello everyone, I am needing help trying to figure out a problem with my my dometic rm 3962 refrigerator in my 2013 CC 34rlsa. It isn't cooling at all. It does light up in the fridge, the temperature is shown at 60, the fan is on, i can feel the heat from the heater working. I have tried for day or two on electric and a day or two on gas but no change. I took it to the shop and it worked fine for them getting down to 33 over night here in TX and all they did was plug it in and it worked on gas. I had them keep it for a couple of weeks to try a few times and when I went to pick it up last week it was at 37. I am now on another trip and it is doing the same exact thing, all turns on but will not cool. I have no error messages.

"60" is NOT the temp. It is a message stating the fridge is not cool enough...
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
"60" is NOT the temp. It is a message stating the fridge is not cool enough...
I didn't know that, thanks, is it an error code or mean a particular fault with the system.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:51 PM   #14

Quote:
I didn't know that, thanks, is it an error code or mean a particular fault with the system.
Not an error code, simply states the fridge is not cool enough yet. I don't have my manual here but think it measures temp in the crispers.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:08 AM   #15

Well, after turning the refrigerator off for most of the day and then turning it back on, it decided it wanted to start working and cooled to 43 on setting 1 and when I set it to 4 it cooled to 39 in 30 minutes. I have since added food to it so it raised to 42. I don't understand what it could be because I have lost confidence in the reliability of this refrigerator and now the shop won't be able to do anything because it is working now. I haven't moved the trailer, i haven't touched anything, I just turned it off and 8 or so hours later turned it back on and it worked. This is the second time I did this power cycle, once the day before and that time it did nothing. I am confused about this because it doesn't make since.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Well, after turning the refrigerator off for most of the day and then turning it back on, it decided it wanted to start working and cooled to 43 on setting 1 and when I set it to 4 it cooled to 39 in 30 minutes. I have since added food to it so it raised to 42. I don't understand what it could be because I have lost confidence in the reliability of this refrigerator and now the shop won't be able to do anything because it is working now. I haven't moved the trailer, i haven't touched anything, I just turned it off and 8 or so hours later turned it back on and it worked. This is the second time I did this power cycle, once the day before and that time it did nothing. I am confused about this because it doesn't make since.
It has to get below 42 with contents to be safe
Old 07-27-2017, 07:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
It has to get below 42 with contents to be safe
Yes I know, thanks. It went that warm only after I had the door open for a
couple minutes filling it with food. I will keep my eye on it though.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:57 PM   #18

Are You Level?

Quote:
Our driveway was sloped!!!

It didn't concern me for parking, I used the parking brake, and even put blocks in front of the tires at times if parked for long periods.

I didn't consider it sloped too much, but truly....I would NOT camp at that much of a slope. In our case it was nose low....ass end high.

Turns out, RV fridges such as the RM3962, are absorption refrigerators, not the same as your residential electric only refrigerators. Inside absorption fridges, there's fluid that is key to them working/cooling properly. If you are tilted enough from level for a period of time, that can cause them to shut down or assume the sloping as the new norm.

The new storage location was level, and never had the problem again. All these years later, the RV is stored level, we camp level....
No more problems, and at no time did anyone helping to troubleshoot ask about my driveway. They heard i parked at home, and moved on to the next question.

QUESTION TO YOU.....IS YOUR RIG ALWAYS LEVEL?
X2

Larry
Days Camped: 2015 = 51; 2016 = 59; 2017 = 20; 2018 = 12; 2019 =
If you're lucky enough to be camping......You're lucky enough.
beagle22b07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:12 PM   #19

Just to update, it turned out to be the cooling unit. All is working now with the new cooling unit installed.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:17 PM   #20
Head Rambler

Thanks for letting us know what the fix was.

So you had to replace the complete cooling unit? :yikes:

Tags
dometic