Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2009, 01:06 PM   #1

my latest prob. ac AND heat

ok everyone. went out this past weekend and everything seemed to be working good. If you remember a while back i had a relay out on the AC which caused the compressor to never shut off. It would cool just fine but once it reached the temp. the fan would shut off but the compressor would still run. The solution for that weekend was to just keep the thermostat set to 50 so it would never reach it's temp. and it would be fine. i brought it in for service, they replaced the circuit board in the unit , everything is good.
Fastforward to this weekend now....
Friday morning got up and it had gotten a little cool overnight so i went to turn the furnace on. Flipped the thermostat switch to on and nothing. Checked that i had gas, YEP. checked the breakers, GOOD.
just nothing. so, just figured no big deal i'll just bring it back in for service next week. So , now i get home and i'm cleaning it out and i go to put the AC on cause now it's warmed up outside. turn the thermostat to cool and put it on auto for the fan and lower the temp so it would kick on, and only the compressor kicks on. even with moving the temp down to it's lowest point the fan will not come on when the themostat is on AUTO. Now, if i switch it from "auto" to "On" the fan will blow and it is blowing cold air.
I'm wondering if the two problems have any relation to each other or if it's just a coincidence. Either way , it's going back again next week but i just wanted to get some opinions on here first.
now, here is one other thing that may or may not have anything to do with the problem... and may be just a coincidence also but i was the exact same site this time as i was last when the AC began to give me problems.

All i know is this is 2 trips and 2 problems with the AC and it's just about out of my full warranty. isnt that convenient!!! i'm beginning to get a little concerned about what is in store in the future with this AC once it gets older if it's doing this now and it's only 1 year old.
eandsphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandsphotography View Post
ok everyone. went out this past weekend and everything seemed to be working good. If you remember a while back i had a relay out on the AC which caused the compressor to never shut off. It would cool just fine but once it reached the temp. the fan would shut off but the compressor would still run. The solution for that weekend was to just keep the thermostat set to 50 so it would never reach it's temp. and it would be fine. i brought it in for service, they replaced the circuit board in the unit , everything is good.
Fastforward to this weekend now....
Friday morning got up and it had gotten a little cool overnight so i went to turn the furnace on. Flipped the thermostat switch to on and nothing. Checked that i had gas, YEP. checked the breakers, GOOD.
just nothing. so, just figured no big deal i'll just bring it back in for service next week. So , now i get home and i'm cleaning it out and i go to put the AC on cause now it's warmed up outside. turn the thermostat to cool and put it on auto for the fan and lower the temp so it would kick on, and only the compressor kicks on. even with moving the temp down to it's lowest point the fan will not come on when the themostat is on AUTO. Now, if i switch it from "auto" to "On" the fan will blow and it is blowing cold air.
I'm wondering if the two problems have any relation to each other or if it's just a coincidence. Either way , it's going back again next week but i just wanted to get some opinions on here first.
now, here is one other thing that may or may not have anything to do with the problem... and may be just a coincidence also but i was the exact same site this time as i was last when the AC began to give me problems.

All i know is this is 2 trips and 2 problems with the AC and it's just about out of my full warranty. isnt that convenient!!! i'm beginning to get a little concerned about what is in store in the future with this AC once it gets older if it's doing this now and it's only 1 year old.

First thing, if you take it in for service DO NOT take it home until the service department has gone over completely with you to make sure It is fix correctly. Sometimes it is hard to trouble shoot A/C problems with out being there, the reason for this is because one thing can go wrong and It can effect other components. Example: A dirty filter can cause a few things to happen, reduced return air which can cause the fan motor to run hotter and may cause It to shut down by tripping the internal over load. This is on the electrical side. Lack of air flow to the coil can cause the refrigerant circuit to fail and the heat from the return air can not transfer and be removed on the condenser side of the A/C system. This can cause problems for the compressor. This is just a short run of how one thing can cause other problems...I hope you can get It all corrected, good luck. Make the service department check everything out from A/C to heat with YOU there.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
Site Team

Sounds like a bad t-stat. Both A/C and furnace issues could be caused by bad connection in the t-stat. Since you said nothing happened when you tried to run the furnace. I wouldn't worry about the A/C too much. I don't think the issue you're having now is the A/C itself. Once you get the issue fixed you should be good to go for a long while.