Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2021, 10:19 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticki View Post
I'm not as smart as you. Sorry.
Don't take it too personal, we all learn thru experience - either ours or others who share. You've started a conversation that will help others who haven't had your experience, but can learn from it. Finding a weather forecasting website you trust is important when RVing. The surprise wind events can still pop up and we need to have a plan for those times so we don't have to continue pulling unnecessarily. Keep having fun and continue contributing.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 10:30 PM   #22

Here is a site I use. I have used it when we traveled out west but use it mostly for hurricanes. I live in central Florida…

https://www.windy.com
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 10:41 PM   #23

I like the Windy app. I use it for sailing. I found thier forecasts to be pretty good. The only thing better is a live weather station.

2020 Rockwood Roo 19
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:11 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Here is a site I use. I have used it when we traveled out west but use it mostly for hurricanes. I live in central Florida…

https://www.windy.com
WOW. There you go - I've not heard of this site before. With all it's layers and information I'll follow it to see how accurate it is for my area. Just may have a new favorite weather site. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2021, 09:52 AM   #25
Trailer Park Supervisor

Just clicked on it. I still prefer http://wunderground.com
Only because you actually see the weather stations feeding the data, and they have a network of many thousands of stations from users all over. The Weather Channel took the site over years ago, and did all they could to ruin it, but the local station data is still there.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:04 AM   #26

I usually use one of three, sometimes all three if one seems out of bounds. AccuWeather, weather.gov, and WeatherUnderground.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:10 AM   #27
Trailer Park Supervisor

I use weather.gov as a 2nd source too. I used to use Accuweather, but many years ago they switched to reporting everything in overly dramatic fashion that appeals to the typical american these days.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:26 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I use weather.gov as a 2nd source too. I used to use Accuweather, but many years ago they switched to reporting everything in overly dramatic fashion that appeals to the typical american these days.
I just use the accuweather app for the town nearest to me. No talking heads, just numbers
I gave up listening to any talking heads years ago on any channel.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:48 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I usually use one of three, sometimes all three if one seems out of bounds. AccuWeather, weather.gov, and WeatherUnderground.

I think we all or at least most have “our favorite” weather site. I typically use MyRadar app. Starting using that many, many years ago when it was pretty much a radar app and showed storm fronts which was important to us when we were boaters. It has changed a lot in the past 10 years as have all of them.

I only use Windy when a hurricane is coming our way and can see the forecasted wind and direction on an hourly basis.

I used Windy when we traveled to your neck of the woods and then north to Glacier NP and east home on I-90. Nice to just glance and see the severe wind show up in color and see where it is heading with a simple glance.

Hopefully, all of these suggestions will help a fellow RV’er find a weather app that they like..
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 06-01-2021, 01:07 PM   #30

Quote:
I have used Accuweather and WeatherUnderground as my go to sites over the past number of years, but will watch windy for a while and see how it does.
Old 06-01-2021, 01:19 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Sifter View Post
I have used Accuweather and WeatherUnderground as my go to sites over the past number of years, but will watch windy for a while and see how it does.
Agreed! I do like to see the entire wind system that Windy shows. Now if we could just get all the weather forecasts to agree
Old 06-01-2021, 01:34 PM   #32

Quote:
Agreed! I do like to see the entire wind system that Windy shows. Now if we could just get all the weather forecasts to agree
Lol…I always laugh when camping with a group how everyone has a different forecast for the day and the days following. One thing that is pretty accurate on them all is sunrise/sunset…
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

Old 06-01-2021, 01:37 PM   #33

IBM took over wunderground a few years ago and almost killed it. They no longer have the extensive weather station network they used to. I still use it for general weather info, but for wind forecasts I find it lacking.

The Windy app (not windy.com) has the most accurate local wind forecasts in my area. The wind sports people use it extensively here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Just clicked on it. I still prefer http://wunderground.com
Only because you actually see the weather stations feeding the data, and they have a network of many thousands of stations from users all over. The Weather Channel took the site over years ago, and did all they could to ruin it, but the local station data is still there.

2020 Rockwood Roo 19
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 02:46 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
IBM took over wunderground a few years ago and almost killed it. They no longer have the extensive weather station network they used to. I still use it for general weather info, but for wind forecasts I find it lacking.

The Windy app (not windy.com) has the most accurate local wind forecasts in my area. The wind sports people use it extensively here.
Wind is something that is not only hard to forecast, it's impossible to predict in specific locations where changes in geography mess with winds.

At my house I can go out in the yard with a hand anemometer and read 5-6 mph wind but the trees on the hill behind me are clearly getting blown by forecasted winds in the teens.

Kind of works similar with rain.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:19 PM   #35

Done that!

We drove through the Texas panhandle last summer in 40 mile an our winds. It was awful. Actually pulled part of our plastic fender off our minilite. Could not get our Ram 1500 to go more then 45 miles an hour. I hope never to have that happen again.
Mitchell 2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:42 PM   #36

We ran to Constant head winds going from Tx to Az. Fuel mileage dropped to 5mpg. Then it switched to Pushing us. Got almost 20mpg. That was nice. We did get off the road when it changed from a constant blow to gusting. I don't need to get anywhere that fast that I can't let it blow itself out.
Philandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:23 PM   #37

We just passed through Dalhart about 2 weeks from Lake Mead to Wamego KS. All the way to Lake Mead and back we fought winds from 20-50 mph. Pulling a Salem Lite 20BHXL with a Ram 1500 Eco Diesel. LT tires on the truck and Endurance tires on the trailer and really no problem.

We did the Raton Pass in 2017 and that is a hill . We stayed at Road Runner RV park, what a great place. Red River is a great place. If you have never been there before hit the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge. Absolutely beautiful and make the trip around the enchanted highway.
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:14 PM   #38

I have a 23' Salem Cruise Light and tow with a 1500 4x4 Dodge and we don't travel in windy conditions over 30mph because of possible 50+ gusts. Why take the risk if you don't have to?
TMegelhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 12:04 AM   #39

I wasn't towing, but our Crusader Lite 5th wheel survived 140 mph winds during Hurricane Laura sitting in a open sided metal shed. I had chocked all four tires and filled the grey, black & potable water tanks full of water, the added 1260 lbs. of weight kept the trailer from moving. Only damage was the scuffing of paint to front cap, lower RH corner, something got blown into it. DW and I were safe inside our home.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:06 AM   #40

8 years ago we decided to get a new camper. We live in Billings Montana and found the best deal in Michigan. It was in late March and the weather looked good. We drove out in our 03 Dodge 3/4 ton diesel. No problem going out but on the way back not so much. We stayed over night at a restaurant in the twin cities and woke up the next morning with cooler temps. I was working construction and wanted to park the camper on the constriction site in Culbertson Montana so we were coming across I94. Coming out of Minnesota into N Dakota the weather took a turn for the worse. It started blowing and snowing. By the time we got into Fargo there was a foot of snow. We're pulling a 32' 5th wheel. We pulled into a truck stop and talked to some people there about road conditions going west. They advised us not to go that way. So I told the wife if the snow gets much deeper we'll turn around and go back to Fargo and take I29 down to I90. She had the smart phone but wasn't paying close enough attention to the weather otherwise we would have bagged the idea of parking the camper on the construction site and got on I90 in Illinois. Any way we made it about 40 miles west of Fargo and the snow was up to 2' deep with 20 to 25 mph wind. I said this is nuts so we found an over pass and turned around. We made it back into Fargo then headed south on I29. The wind was blowing out of the NW. The snow started diminishing the farther south we went. The camper was dog legging because of the wind so I drove in the passenger lane doing about 25 mph until we had a line of cars behind us then I'd slowly ease over into the driving lane. All I could see was the side of the camper in my right mirror. As soon as all the vehicles would get by us I'd get back in the passing lane then so do it all over again. About 70 miles south of Fargo the snow ended but the highways turned to black ice. If I thought the snow was bad it paled compared to the black ice. We slowed to 15 to 20 mph for 25 miles until we ran out of it. Those weren't high winds for dry road driving but when there is snow on the highway, that's not much fun. Oh did I mention that I'm a truck driver by trade? So doing this in a loaded truck wouldn't have bothered me near as much but pulling a light camper was a horse of a different color. I've driven truck in some heavy winds pulling doubles for FedEx. Sometimes the doubles are empty and it gets real interesting when the winds get up to 55mph with gusts higher than that. That's when I call the boss and say uh I don't think it's not a good idea to be out here with empty trailers. Yes we get used to the high winds out here in the west but sometimes you just have to say to heck with this and pull over. Even if it's just on and off ramp that's better than laying it over.
mixerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing