Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2021, 12:52 PM   #1

Unhappy My Personal Record--Towing in Wind

This past Sunday afternoon, May 24, 2021, we were headed to Red River, NM from the Texas Panhandle. In the long stretch from Dalhart, TX to Raton, NM I told the wife we've never pulled in wind like this before. We stopped for gasoline at Raton and I noticed two of the brackets that hold the fenders on in front of the trailer tires had broken and were flopping. Gorilla tape was the temporary fix.

I looked at the NWS website at the Raton airport and we were driving in sustained winds of 40 mph gusting to 55 mph. With a 2500 RAM and a 37 foot LaCrosse trailer I could feel it but looking back I think it was dangerous and we should have pulled over and waited a while for the weather to improve.

What's your record?
Sticki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 01:00 PM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

Yeah, not for me. Driving that long with a turd about to pop out sounds awful. That's a 9 on the Beaufort wind scale, strong gale force. You got lucky.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 01:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticki View Post
What's your record?
Not a record I'll be looking to challenge hopefully EVER.

2021 Riverstone Legacy 42FSKG
2016 RAM 3500 DRW
llamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 03:45 PM   #4

Ran across I-80 in WY into strong head winds. Not only was fuel mileage very bad, but upon arrival at the CG noticed the entire right fender on the fiver had disappeared.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 04:40 PM   #5

I was on a 17 day, 5,200 mile round trip from new orleans to mount rushmore, when i turned on to I-90 in south dakota (2005), the wind was so bad, it ripped the front awning strut away from the trailer, i had to bungee, to hold it in place the remainder of the trip...
rowdy boys 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 10:23 AM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

Damage not surprising. If you are going 50mph into a 50mph wind gust, that's 100mph hour winds on your RV. I would be surprised if stuff DIDN'T tear off.
Old 05-31-2021, 11:00 AM   #7

I don't have to get anywhere bad enough to drive through wind like that. I don't need perfect weather but extreme weather isn't just hazardous to the equipment, it can be hazardous to your health.

"You" may be able to handle the wind that's making control difficult but what about that other guy on the road?

Being late isn't as bad as not getting there at all.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 11:12 AM   #8

Towing in ridiculous wind speeds is never anything I would ever brag about, much less commemorate with a new personal best record!

Head winds and tail winds don't bother me much. Trouble is, the road always curves Crosswinds approaching 30mph sustained and I start looking to change my plans.
In the southwest you get used to checking wind speeds on travel days. If you don't, you might get stuck at a truckstop with a bunch of angry semi drivers when they close the roads.
I must admit that after putting load range G 14ply tires on the RV, wind rarely bothers us anymore unless it gets way up there (over 30 sustained). We also try to travel early morning or late evening during windy season to avoid both the windiest and hottest part of the day.
If you get caught in a 50mph wind, you did not do your homework for your route.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 04:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Towing in ridiculous wind speeds is never anything I would ever brag about, much less commemorate with a new personal best record!

Head winds and tail winds don't bother me much. Trouble is, the road always curves Crosswinds approaching 30mph sustained and I start looking to change my plans.
In the southwest you get used to checking wind speeds on travel days. If you don't, you might get stuck at a truckstop with a bunch of angry semi drivers when they close the roads.
I must admit that after putting load range G 14ply tires on the RV, wind rarely bothers us anymore unless it gets way up there (over 30 sustained). We also try to travel early morning or late evening during windy season to avoid both the windiest and hottest part of the day.
I'm not as smart as you. Sorry.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post

When is windy season? We are thinking of going out west next year.
Thanks
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 04:57 PM   #11

Have you ever driven in the mid-west?

It's always windy there. Many times it pushes so hard that it makes your motorhome or travel trailer "crab" on I-90. You get used to it; however, going under an overpass will wake you up! Sometimes the vehicle shifts a half lane when you block the wind like that.
Boscorelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 05:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by old40ford View Post
Thanks
I think windy season out west is Jan 1 to December 31.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:10 PM   #13
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfrede View Post
:roflb lack:
Old 05-31-2021, 06:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfrede View Post
There is a lot of truth in that! It can be 'shut down the highway' type of windy just about anytime. Historically March through June are the windiest months with April and May seeing the worst of it. But then we usually get pretty consistent wind in the fall also.
Whenever you see highways that have permanent high wind warning signs (most of ours do), you know to check your weather forecast frequently. If the signs are flashing, find the nearest place to hunker down for awhile Also pay attention to the instructions displayed for what to do in zero visibility situations (dust). We have many 10 to 50 car pile ups on I10 from folks not knowing what to do when they don't shut down the highway fast enough.
There have been many times when we were wanting to travel and the only times that had acceptable wind levels for days at a time were late at night until in the wee hours of the morning. So we would travel overnight and get odd looks when we pull into our destination at sunup
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:38 PM   #15

Heading home to Arkansas on I40 we were in Albuquerque two years ago with the wind howling all night. Hooking up the next morning, wondering if I could pull in this type of wind, my wife got talking to another couple from Florida. The Florida wife said: "The only time we wind like this in Florida is when a hurricane is coming in."

Eventually it died down and we went on our way.
Old 05-31-2021, 06:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by old40ford View Post
Thanks
My late wife and I used to drive across South Dakota a couple times a year. Always windy. In Fall and Winter, steady wind from North. Spring and Summer, from the South. Strong enough to make Semi's lean over significantly.

You know there's a wind problem when you see wind socks installed along the highway annd they're fully extended.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:48 PM   #17
Trailer Park Supervisor

In the summer, I can kill for a little breeze here in NJ. My valley becomes a sweltering hot hell more often than I want. I cannot even imagine winds like you westerners get.
Old 05-31-2021, 07:06 PM   #18

Here in Nevada the wind seems to blow all the time....My trailer has a built-in wind gauge....When the steps to the front door blow down it time to stop for a rest....
Firestone Airbag Ride Rite system
paverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 07:11 PM   #19

I frequently have to do a lot of windy driving going through Mohave Desert to see the relatives. I passed through just last week with severe winds, then hit a blowing snow storm, not expected- late season. I always follow the weather reports very closely but with this last trip the winds were blowing for over a week straight with barely a break to sneak through. Driving during the day isn’t half as scary as at night getting blown around. I have had to pull over many nights in rest areas or behind a gas station, trying to sleep as the rv shakes violently back and forth. I do have a Hellwig rear stabilizer and that helps a little. I don’t mind the tailwinds, they give me a boost, it’s those cross winds I hate.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 10:13 PM   #20

Winds across the Dakotas

My wife and I took a trip out through "flyover country" a couple of years ago, chasing quilt shops on the Row By Row trail. We decided to run the trip in our TOAD, a 2008 SMART convertible. We didn't kill each other, but... Out in North Dakota I was driving West on the day we hit the dreaded prairie winds. That day it was a starboard forward quarter wind (right front) that beat me silly, blowing us almost out of the lane, right to left. Pucker factor was up there. I caught up to a tractor trailer doing just under my 65mph and I tucked in at about 1 1/2 seconds following distance, close enough to break the worst of the wind but far enough to react if needed. Wife-san was over there having kittens saying I'm too close, etc. So I backed off just a tich until the car was beating us silly again. Then I closed back in and the buffeting dropped off. I didn't say a word the whole time, but she said OK, OK. Fast forward a couple of days and we were coming out of Rapid City, South Dakota from Mt Rushmore on the way home to Virginia and the winds wanted to play again. This time they were blowing from East to West, go figure. I'm not a weather guesser, I just had to deal with it. Similar situation with wind off the right front and beating us up. Had to kind of crab to stay in the road. That worked to a point, I'd come up on a small bridge over a creek, and there were quite a few, and the concrete walls broke the wind just enough that one second I'm fighting that wind and the next that wind isn't there and I'm headed for that side of the bridge. Immediate correction in steering and then I'm back to fighting the wind again. Awwww, come on, man!!! We got past Wall, SD and lost the worst of that prairie wind and got home without any blood being shed by being tucked in that small car for all that distance. On those bad headwind days I got my worst gas mileage of the trip, 32 mpg. The best mileage was 42 mpg. Broke my heart, but at the same time I wished for my Sunseeker and my own bed and didn't miss fighting those winds with a rolling billboard. Y'all be safe out there. Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing