RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2020, 08:21 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 144
NASCAR

With no new sports, most networks are airing previous events the golf channel is re-airing major tournaments, but not necessarily the ones that were close finishes.

NFL channels seems to be airing mostly "big" games, but not necessarily those that were tight finishes or those that were great comebacks.

College football game rebroadcasts are better - they're replaying bigger games, rivalry games, not just those that lead up to the championships.

Sorry, I don't watch basketball or baseball.

FS1 is replaying what they call the "greatest races". Recently they showed the 2003 (I think) race from Darlington that had one of the most exciting finishes in the history of NASCAR.

Right now they're showing the first ever Cup race (fall 1988) from Phoenix.

The changes in the sport, safety aspects, cars and track are incredible. I totally forgot how "open" some tracks were back in the day. There's an incredible difference at PIR, and seeing what it was like 32 years ago brings back a ton of memories.

One thing that stands out to me is how packed "rattlesnake hill" was in 1988 - almost as many fans on the hill as there are in the stands.

I haven't seen a shot of the parking lot yet - it would be interesting to see how many trailers and motorhomes there were back then vs now. These days there are thousands of trailers and coaches at the races...
__________________
2012 Ram Laramie 2500 4x4 CC SB Cummins
2016 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
Patrick (order taker), Barbara (order giver) & Jasper (Dutch Shepherd) and now Jade (Boxer/Lab/Pointer hybrid) aka PB&JJ
PatrickY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:14 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 276
I watched the Phoenix race a while back - such fun! Thought the same thing about Rattlesnake Hill. Real cars, names I hadn't heard in a long time, lots of good racing. Back in the 70's visited a few Winston West races, but Phoenix was my first big track...about 1979? Over Thanksgiving there was a WW race and a lot of Cup drivers participated. Petty won and if you had a pit pass you could wander anywhere! Was a serious fan for many years, enjoy watching the old races. We might be the minority here.

I don't have TV so watch the old races on my desk top via a link on NASCAR.com Lots of choices and no time schedule which fits in my no time schedule. Thanks for the topic!
__________________
2014 RAM 3500 4x4 diesel
2017 Work & Play Toy Hauler 30WRS
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:20 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
dan-nickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 1,674
Are you not watching the Iracing events?
__________________
Dan
2014 Berkshire 390RB-60
dan-nickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:30 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Cabinfever97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Summit Township
Posts: 592
The Iracing NASCAR and Dirt stuff is really good. Not like real, but good.
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:41 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 1,448
I miss the days when the "SC" in NASCAR was actually what was raced.
__________________
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman, CTD/CC/SB/4X4/Equalizer WDH
2019 Forest River Surveyor Legend 19BHLE
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:16 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 6,418
Yep, definitely missing NASCAR.
Still hope the season finale will happen at PIR in NOV. We have a group of eight RVs with reservations and tickets. It is our favorite place to attend NASCAR. Especially since they spruced the place up a bit and got back to treating campers right.
I just haven't been able to get into the i-racing. I watched one with JR in it, and that made it better for me. But otherwise, I just can't seem to last a whole race.
Sponsors are dropping like flys, so I'm not sure what the future will bring.
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:42 AM   #7
Georgia Rally Coordinator
 
aceinspp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: GA
Posts: 17,543
For what I racing is its pretty neat. pretty close to as real as you can get. Only down side is when they wreck they just come in and get a new car. Be interesting if they did that in real racing. Later RJD
__________________
2020 Shasta Phoenix SPF 27RKSS
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:53 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 6,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
For what I racing is its pretty neat. pretty close to as real as you can get. Only down side is when they wreck they just come in and get a new car. Be interesting if they did that in real racing. Later RJD
Ha! I like that idea! Wreck it, just roll out a backup.
I've always said that once a driver wrecks and becomes a rolling menace, losing parts every lap, creating more cautions, they should just black flag 'em. How many races have we seen that are changed by late race cautions caused by lapped cars? But, I guess that is just racing.
But, if they could just get a new car....hmmmm. Can you imagine how many cars (and haulers) some drivers would need? LOL!!!
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:19 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 276
Agree about the losing parts on the track part...but I always enjoyed seeing a banged up car sitting in Victory Lane.
__________________
2014 RAM 3500 4x4 diesel
2017 Work & Play Toy Hauler 30WRS
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:21 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 6,418
Exactly! Bristol......
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGal3 View Post
Agree about the losing parts on the track part...but I always enjoyed seeing a banged up car sitting in Victory Lane.
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:22 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 9,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickY View Post

One thing that stands out to me is how packed "rattlesnake hill" was in 1988 - almost as many fans on the hill as there are in the stands.

.
That was back when Rattlesnake Hill was free. Today NASCAR and the tribe that owns the land have a deal and admission is charged.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:00 PM   #12
Georgia Rally Coordinator
 
aceinspp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: GA
Posts: 17,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Ha! I like that idea! Wreck it, just roll out a backup.
I've always said that once a driver wrecks and becomes a rolling menace, losing parts every lap, creating more cautions, they should just black flag 'em. How many races have we seen that are changed by late race cautions caused by lapped cars? But, I guess that is just racing.
But, if they could just get a new car....hmmmm. Can you imagine how many cars (and haulers) some drivers would need? LOL!!!
Well they put a limit on how many times you get a new car. Also its up to the driver if he feel damage is enough to warrent a replacement. Later RJD
__________________
2020 Shasta Phoenix SPF 27RKSS
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:11 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Semperfi24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 631
NASCAR's Damaged Vehicle policy has helped a lot of the "leaving parts and pieces on the track" problem. Only down side is that a lot of vehicles that could get back out and salvage the day come up short on the 5 minute clock, or the garage policy and their day is over. Like 2 years ago at Watkins Glen. Logano went off track on like lap 4, and punctured his radiator. Certainly not going to create a hazard on the track when it gets replaced. And theoretically at a track like that, could get a few lucky dogs and actually compete with the leaders. But his day was over because of the damaged vehicle policy (in his case, if you are involved in an accident on track and go to the garage, your day is over). Not a Logano fan, just something that stuck in my mind for an example as an exception to the policy being mostly good.

For iRacing, I tuned in for the first one. Wasnt impressed. It wasnt so much a driver talent competition as it was a video game talent competition. Its great for the lesser known drivers, but not much to gain if you are in the top of the sport. Fast forward to this last week, and I cant see how any driver would voluntarily participate. Sure you can argue "dont do something stupid" and everyone is gonna be ok, but 2 drivers have now lost sponsorship from iRacing, and one has all but lost his career. Nothing to gain and everything to lose with that.

But I do enjoy watching some of the older races when I see them
__________________

_________________________
2019 Ford F250 Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke
2020 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 287BH
Semperfi24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:19 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 6,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
That was back when Rattlesnake Hill was free. Today NASCAR and the tribe that owns the land have a deal and admission is charged.
Never heard that version of Rattlesnake Hill (Monument Hill) pricing. Also never knew it to be free. From what I remember you were always supposed to have a GA ticket, but some folks walked up the back from the Reservation side to 'get in free'.
But hill tickets are still lots cheaper and it's a great place to see the race.
You can also walk up to the historic initial point survey marker at the top. The hill is divided by the principal meridian with PIR owning the west side and the Gila River Indian Community owning the east side. Lots of history there!
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:22 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
U.S.ArmyVeteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
I miss the days when the "SC" in NASCAR was actually what was raced.

Exactly! What we have now is definitely racing. But not STOCK CAR RACING. Like seeing Ford vs Chevy vs Plymouth Vs Dodge. With 427, 409, 421 emblazoned on the hoods.



My Fathers 63 Mercury looked like the Mercs on the track. Minus the stickers and tires.


I do miss Stock Car Racing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	63 mercury marauder.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	227011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dave MacDonald in 1964 Daytona 500 in Bill Stroppe Mercury.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	227012  
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:49 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 9,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Never heard that version of Rattlesnake Hill (Monument Hill) pricing. Also never knew it to be free. From what I remember you were always supposed to have a GA ticket, but some folks walked up the back from the Reservation side to 'get in free'.
But hill tickets are still lots cheaper and it's a great place to see the race.
You can also walk up to the historic initial point survey marker at the top. The hill is divided by the principal meridian with PIR owning the west side and the Gila River Indian Community owning the east side. Lots of history there!
If you were watching the last race there on TV, this was explained while they were explaining the history of the hill and how it got it's name.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:54 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 6,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
If you were watching the last race there on TV, this was explained while they were explaining the history of the hill and how it got it's name.
I was actually at that race, but probably not listening to the TV commentators. And I can't find any supporting articles. But it is an interesting theory I will probably follow up on, seeing as I have plenty of time on my hands
Oops, I was not at the race in March, it was in November that I was last there. We usually go to both races every year but this year is just different all the way around.....
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 01:08 PM   #18
Georgia Rally Coordinator
 
aceinspp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: GA
Posts: 17,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
NASCAR's Damaged Vehicle policy has helped a lot of the "leaving parts and pieces on the track" problem. Only down side is that a lot of vehicles that could get back out and salvage the day come up short on the 5 minute clock, or the garage policy and their day is over. Like 2 years ago at Watkins Glen. Logano went off track on like lap 4, and punctured his radiator. Certainly not going to create a hazard on the track when it gets replaced. And theoretically at a track like that, could get a few lucky dogs and actually compete with the leaders. But his day was over because of the damaged vehicle policy (in his case, if you are involved in an accident on track and go to the garage, your day is over). Not a Logano fan, just something that stuck in my mind for an example as an exception to the policy being mostly good.

For iRacing, I tuned in for the first one. Wasnt impressed. It wasnt so much a driver talent competition as it was a video game talent competition. Its great for the lesser known drivers, but not much to gain if you are in the top of the sport. Fast forward to this last week, and I cant see how any driver would voluntarily participate. Sure you can argue "dont do something stupid" and everyone is gonna be ok, but 2 drivers have now lost sponsorship from iRacing, and one has all but lost his career. Nothing to gain and everything to lose with that.

But I do enjoy watching some of the older races when I see them

Well you'd be surprised at how many of the drivers use this to better there driving skills. Not only a game but more like a simulator much like pilots use. Later RJD
__________________
2020 Shasta Phoenix SPF 27RKSS
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 01:08 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 9,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
NASCAR's Damaged Vehicle policy has helped a lot of the "leaving parts and pieces on the track" problem. Only down side is that a lot of vehicles that could get back out and salvage the day come up short on the 5 minute clock, or the garage policy and their day is over.
The policy was instituted due to the costs causing teams to close up shop.

How many NASCAR races were filled with teams that basically got "field filler money" and their car would only take the start flag, then retire from the race after a lap or two.

Here's an interesting read on how much money it costs just to race one race at the top level of NASCAR.

https://www.jacksonville.com/article...ORTS/801257725


Now imagine those costs without a limit on repair time-------

OR

Imagine it if replacement cars were allowed -----------


As for the days when "real cars" were being used, can you imagine the carnage? A real "stock" car traveling at high speeds, going airborne, and flying into the catch fence? How many spectators might be killed from all the flying pieces, as well as drivers. Well maybe not so bad if "showroom stock" (plus safety cages) was the formula but also not as much fun. Would be like watching a speedway race with a bunch of "Bomber Class" cars running on street tires.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 01:45 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 276
Do miss the run what you brung era. There were some real hot rods. Also liked the pre PC personalities. Oh yeah, the old days!
__________________
2014 RAM 3500 4x4 diesel
2017 Work & Play Toy Hauler 30WRS
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 AM.