Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2022, 07:41 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Homebrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,158
Nasty camping experience

So we were camping in a state park with power only section. There was a class B ( converted van ) in the next site over. While setting up I noticed a strong urine smell, I noticed the smell every time the breeze came from that site. Two days later While having coffee in the morning I noticed the person in the van dumping a large container of what looked like urine in the gravel in his site.
! Is this common practice for people to dump there urine in the sites? I thought people with composting toilets were to dump the urine in the restrooms.
Has anyone else experienced this during their trips?
__________________
XLR Thunderbolt 300X12HP
2014 Ram 3500 DRW
Homebrew is online now  
Old 09-11-2022, 07:51 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Rhumblefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Right in the Middle
Posts: 855
Wow/ Pouring out their urine ON site? That’s a real good way to earn a talking to. Yep, I’d report them to the ranger, but some things are so egregiously stupid (unhealthy, disrespectful, wrong) as to call for immediate comment/correction.

You can get away with that in remote areas and public land, but don’t be the moron who decides to fool around with waste process rules in a park.

Numbnut.
__________________
2022 Rockwood Roo 235S
2017 Audi Q7 3.0
WeighSafe hitch
Rhumblefish is online now  
Old 09-11-2022, 08:41 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Homebrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumblefish View Post
Wow/ Pouring out their urine ON site? Thatís a real good way to earn a talking to. Yep, Iíd report them to the ranger, but some things are so egregiously stupid (unhealthy, disrespectful, wrong) as to call for immediate comment/correction.

You can get away with that in remote areas and public land, but donít be the moron who decides to fool around with waste process rules in a park.

Numbnut.


I plan on reaching out to the the site ranger when I get home. Iím doing a lot of state and National campground camping on my 30 day trip. Hopefully I donít see a pattern.
__________________
XLR Thunderbolt 300X12HP
2014 Ram 3500 DRW
Homebrew is online now  
Old 09-11-2022, 08:51 PM   #4
Retired Army MSG!
 
lazyjj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Sharon, SC
Posts: 456
I have been a host in a state park this summer after retiring this past June. This is my favorite park so I will not give out a name or location. However, since you brought this subject up, I have found in my daily work that about 4-5% of the campers are complete nasty buffoons. I am 62 years old and I have never in my life seen such irresponsible and disrespectful folks. I could go into where they are from and a lot of different categories but I don't want to stereotype, however, 95% or so are still the campers we have all grown up to love. Hopefully the 5% will decide they don't fit and go away.
lazyjj is online now  
Old 09-11-2022, 08:53 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Nevada
Posts: 1,361
It is illegal to dump grey water nearly everywhere.
I cannot even imagine dumping black water in a campsite.
ppine is offline  
Old 09-11-2022, 09:06 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 15,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyjj View Post
I have been a host in a state park this summer after retiring this past June. This is my favorite park so I will not give out a name or location. However, since you brought this subject up, I have found in my daily work that about 4-5% of the campers are complete nasty buffoons. I am 62 years old and I have never in my life seen such irresponsible and disrespectful folks. I could go into where they are from and a lot of different categories but I don't want to stereotype, however, 95% or so are still the campers we have all grown up to love. Hopefully the 5% will decide they don't fit and go away.
I've noticed an increase in inconsiderate and just plain stupid campers since the Covid issues started.

Many State Parks and Forest Service campgrounds around this state's large cities have just become upscale homeless encampments with similar behavior found at the city encampments.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will." (Japanese Proverb)

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline  
Old 09-11-2022, 09:21 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 7,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
While having coffee in the morning I noticed the person in the van dumping a large container of what looked like urine in the gravel in his site.
They shouldn't be dumping any containers of liquid on the gravel on a site. Any type of liquid will erode the base of the campsite. Obviously, people like that need an education from the ranger.
You wouldn't have to tell what they were dumping, just that they were dumping containers of liquid on the gravel and let the ranger or campground host educate them.
__________________
2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
Reverse_snowbird is offline  
Old 09-11-2022, 09:31 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 8,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
... Any type of liquid will erode the base of the campsite. Obviously, people like that need an education from the ranger. ...
??? Should we worry about covering all the campsites when it rains???
NMWildcat is offline  
Old 09-11-2022, 09:36 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 7,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
??? Should we worry about covering all the campsites when it rains???
That's a bit different than dumping water on one specific area of the campsite.
We've camped on gravel sites and many say in their 'rules' that you cannot dump water in the gravel because it erodes the base. If rain is going to erode the base, it will erode the whole base, not one area. We've camped on sites where it's obvious that dumped water has eroded a 'hole'.
Not my rule....
__________________
2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
Reverse_snowbird is offline  
Old 09-12-2022, 10:06 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Nevada
Posts: 1,361
Those kind of people need to get reported.
It is best to ignore most people unless they are doing something really stupid.
Last year we had some serious fire restrictions in the Sierra by the fall.
Three big guys were sitting around a campfire and the wind was blowing steady 20 with gusts to 30 mph. It was risky, but I asked them to put out their fire. They were agreeable.
ppine is offline  
Old 09-12-2022, 11:08 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
GravelRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 877
Either talk to them or report them. Some people just don't know any better. I was staying at a campsite in Maine last year. It was a beautiful ocean front spot. The only problem was that the neighbors next to us had a fire going all day everyday, which is fine, but it blew into our campsite. The problem was that they seemed to burn a steady supply of plastic all day. All we ever smelled was burning plastic. I wouldn't begrudge someone burning wood at a campsite next to me (assuming there weren't wind issues making it unsafe).

I then watched the guy toss in a couple of plastic bottles and some other assorted trash to burn. I went over and talked to them, and explained that plastic rubbish should be recycled or put in the trash because of the noxious smoke that blows on everyone. He was apologetic and agreeable, and had no idea that what he was doing was causing anyone any trouble. We shared a beer together and each had a pleasant camping experience from then on out. I'm not saying all interactions go like that, but I approached him with a smile (and a beer).
__________________
GravelRider is offline  
Old 09-12-2022, 12:39 PM   #12
Member
 
LivingToCamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
I plan on reaching out to the the site ranger when I get home. Iím doing a lot of state and National campground camping on my 30 day trip. Hopefully I donít see a pattern.
What's the point of talking to the Ranger after the fact ? The people are probably gone by then so what will the Ranger do ?
If someone is doing something that wrong, talk to someone asap so it can immediately be corrected.
__________________
2018 Shasta Oasis 18BH
2005 Mercury Mountaineer V8 w/ tow package
Husky Center Line Towing System
LivingToCamp is offline  
Old 09-12-2022, 01:29 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 16,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
They shouldn't be dumping any containers of liquid on the gravel on a site. Any type of liquid will erode the base of the campsite. Obviously, people like that need an education from the ranger.
You wouldn't have to tell what they were dumping, just that they were dumping containers of liquid on the gravel and let the ranger or campground host educate them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
??? Should we worry about covering all the campsites when it rains???
And what about those who have an outside shower... where does that water go when you use them?

I'm not saying the dumping of urine is something anyone should do on a site but to paint with a broad brush and say no liquid is a bit questionable.
__________________
2022 Cedar Creek 345IK 5th WheelēSolar & Inverterē2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4ēFactory PuckēB&W CompanionēTST Tire Monitor w/RepeaterēSinemate 3500w Gen.
F&AM Lodge 358 Somerset, PA - JAFFA Shrine - Altoona, PA

Days Camped: '18=48 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=112 '23=32
5picker is offline  
Old 09-12-2022, 02:03 PM   #14
D W
Senior Member
 
D W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: ALASKA (World's Biggest Campground)
Posts: 5,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingToCamp View Post
What's the point of talking to the Ranger after the fact ? The people are probably gone by then so what will the Ranger do ?
If someone is doing something that wrong, talk to someone asap so it can immediately be corrected.
X2. The OP didn't mention where this occurred, but in our State Parks we have "active" Rangers who make their rounds and patrol the parks. We also have Wildlife Troopers who frequent the areas. Both have citation authority and neither will hesitate to ticket offenders, or provide you with a Notice To Vacate the premises. Not to say we don't have violators, but they're not the norm.
__________________
'07 K3500 Silverado LT Crew Duramax (LBZ)
2016 Salem 27RKSS
1984 CHEV SCOTTSDALE K20 2GCGK24J0E1XXXXXX (Chevrolet Legends-Class of 2019)
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline  
Old 09-12-2022, 02:11 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 208
This is the reason I live on acreage, the average person these days has below average intelligence and common sense . My wife loves camping, I do it for her. But when I back my trailer in and I look at the distance between the trailers and the people I just sighed to myself and say it's only going to be a few days. I guess for City people and apartment or condo dwellers it's really getting away from it, but for me it's going into it. Myself I would have said something right on the spot about the pee dumpers
Ken-m is offline  
Old 09-12-2022, 02:45 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Brother Les's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BoCoMo
Posts: 2,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
I plan on reaching out to the the site ranger when I get home. Iím doing a lot of state and National campground camping on my 30 day trip. Hopefully I donít see a pattern.

You should have talked to the campground host/ranger when you first noticed your concern. You could tell the host/ranger to keep your name/complaint out of any conversation with the other 'camper'. It is now the Host/Ranger who is doing the complaining and it is up to the host/ranger to resolve the issue/hazard. This 'camper' will do this where ever they go unless politely stopped
__________________
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline  
Old 09-12-2022, 03:02 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 15,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
You should have talked to the campground host/ranger when you first noticed your concern. You could tell the host/ranger to keep your name/complaint out of any conversation with the other 'camper'. It is now the Host/Ranger who is doing the complaining and it is up to the host/ranger to resolve the issue/hazard. This 'camper' will do this where ever they go unless politely stopped
Contacting a host or ranger may have been easy prior to "Covid" but now it appears that hists have dusappeared from many FS campgrounds and rangers are usually hours away. And what do you do when your campground has no cell service?
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will." (Japanese Proverb)

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline  
Old 09-12-2022, 03:30 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Brother Les's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BoCoMo
Posts: 2,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Contacting a host or ranger may have been easy prior to "Covid" but now it appears that hists have dusappeared from many FS campgrounds and rangers are usually hours away. And what do you do when your campground has no cell service?

Well, since you put it that way, I would guess that each is on his own best judgement when passing through FS property.
__________________
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline  
Old 09-12-2022, 03:56 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Homebrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,158
I made a phone call to the ranger station today and reported the issue.

I didnít feel comfortable reporting the issue while sleeping next to this person. Who wants to sleep with one eye opened while on vacation. It was bad enough not having the windows opened on a cool night.
__________________
XLR Thunderbolt 300X12HP
2014 Ram 3500 DRW
Homebrew is online now  
Old 09-12-2022, 09:03 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
LittleBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Joliet, IL
Posts: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
I made a phone call to the ranger station today and reported the issue.

I didnít feel comfortable reporting the issue while sleeping next to this person. Who wants to sleep with one eye opened while on vacation. It was bad enough not having the windows opened on a cool night.
I am assuming you had to register either before or after your arrival. It seems to me that hopefully the ranger would have the site number and dates and thus could give the offender an informative call explaining that isn't something they should be doing and why.

Be safe -
__________________

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
camping

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.