Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 05:23 AM   #1

Nationwide Fishing License

Hello Fellow RV Travelers,
I enjoy fishing, but am very frustrated by the costs of buying a new license in every state. In my search to find a solution, I found this website, which claims to be compiling signatures for a petition requesting that our government formulate a solution to this problem. Please check it out, and hopefully add your name to the list, so there may some day be a better way to skin some "cat"fish. There are only a few more names needed. Thanks!!!

Safe Travels!,
Grandpa A.

https://sign.moveon.org/petitions/na...m_source=s.fwd
Old 05-02-2021, 05:33 AM   #2

Good luck with this although it has zero chance of happening.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:44 AM   #3

What do we have to lose by trying?
Stranger things are happening everyday!
Thanks
Old 05-02-2021, 06:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljmam View Post
I enjoy fishing, but am very frustrated by the costs of buying a new license in every state. In my search to find a solution, I found this website, which claims to be compiling signatures for a petition requesting that our government formulate a solution to this problem. Please check it out, and hopefully add your name to the list, so there may some day be a better way to skin some "cat"fish. There are only a few more names needed. Thanks!!!

Safe Travels!,
Grandpa A.

I agree. On almost every issue, having 50 different sets of laws is archaic. It really sucks when you live near the State line or a really small State.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:46 AM   #5

Quote:

Safe Travels!,
Grandpa A.

Texas allows you to buy a daily visitor or yearly fishing license online. Takes only a few minutes.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:55 AM   #6

Quote:
What do we have to lose by trying?
Stranger things are happening everyday!
Thanks
Boy, that's a fact! I'm referring to the ''stranger things happening every day''
Old 05-02-2021, 07:04 AM   #7

My friend’s teenage son is now a felon because he was fishing a tributary of the Potomac River in Virginia which happened to be just within the boundaries of (George Washington’s) Mount Vernon. He had a Virginia and Maryland fishing license to cover himself because most of the side of the Potomac River he was fishing on in Virginia is actually the border of Maryland at the high tide mark — this is how George Washington skipped a rock across the Potomac from Virginia to Maryland. Mount Vernon is National Park property and he didn’t realize he needed another fishing license for that. So, in order for him to legally fish off of this one particular bridge on the George Washington Memorial Parkway, he was required to have three different fishing licenses from three different government entities.

You would think a judge would have taken this complexity into consideration and given the kid a break, but he didn’t. So this kid is now a felon...forever!

Bruce
Old 05-02-2021, 07:42 AM   #8

Thanks for sharing your sad events. What a shameful representation of our failed policies at work. Sorry to hear that your family fell victim to such fault-ridden regulations.
Spread the word. Let's get something done to correct this mess. I just emailed my congressman as well, to let him know that this effort to prompt their response is underway. I know it's a small matter. But, maybe it will end up as some of that infamous "pork" that gets shoveled through the Senate. Our waterways should be as open as our highways!
Old 05-02-2021, 07:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
I agree. On almost every issue, having 50 different sets of laws is archaic. It really sucks when you live near the State line or a really small State.
Just what we need, more Federal over-reach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberte52 View Post
Texas allows you to buy a daily visitor or yearly fishing license online. Takes only a few minutes.
So does Minnesota. And probably other states.

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
Old 05-02-2021, 07:49 AM   #10

Quote:
I know it's a small matter.
It’s not such a small matter when a “child” (he was 18 at the time) is labeled as a felon for the rest of his life.

Bruce
Old 05-02-2021, 07:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
It’s not such a small matter when a “child” (he was 18 at the time) is labeled as a felon for the rest of his life.

Bruce
How did a fishing violation turn into a felony?
Hensley Hitch
Old 05-02-2021, 07:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinfever97 View Post
How did a fishing violation turn into a felony?
Read post #7.

Bruce
Old 05-02-2021, 07:56 AM   #13

Quote:
My friend’s teenage son is now a felon because he was fishing a tributary of the Potomac River in Virginia which happened to be just within the boundaries of (George Washington’s) Mount Vernon. He had a Virginia and Maryland fishing license to cover himself because most of the side of the Potomac River he was fishing on in Virginia is actually the border of Maryland at the high tide mark — this is how George Washington skipped a rock across the Potomac from Virginia to Maryland. Mount Vernon is National Park property and he didn’t realize he needed another fishing license for that. So, in order for him to legally fish off of this one particular bridge on the George Washington Memorial Parkway, he was required to have three different fishing licenses from three different government entities.

You would think a judge would have taken this complexity into consideration and given the kid a break, but he didn’t. So this kid is now a felon...forever!

Bruce
Thats bizarre. I know some people who have had major wildlife violations yet none have resulted in a felony conviction. In doing a quick google search on license requirements for the Potomac River and national park land, I see no mention of the penalty being a felony for no license.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:00 AM   #14

This is the organization behind that petition. Moveon.org is a political organization. I don't think this belongs on this forum.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MoveOn

Old 05-02-2021, 08:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
Thats bizarre. I know some people who have had major wildlife violations yet none have resulted in a felony conviction. In doing a quick google search on license requirements for the Potomac River and national park land, I see no mention of the penalty being a felony for no license.
It is bizarre, and I’m sure my friend’s son didn’t even think to research the legality of fishing from that bridge. He was busted by the US Park Police — not a game warden. His parents spent thousands of dollars trying to get him out of trouble, to no avail.

Bruce
Old 05-02-2021, 08:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Read post #7.

Bruce
I did. The only way I can see a fishing violation being a felony is more to the story. Prior wildlife violations making this one a felony? Something else going on with the fishing violation and that being the felony?
Hensley Hitch
Old 05-02-2021, 08:07 AM   #17

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

Old 05-02-2021, 08:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your sad events. What a shameful representation of our failed policies at work. Sorry to hear that your family fell victim to such fault-ridden regulations.
Spread the word. Let's get something done to correct this mess. I just emailed my congressman as well, to let him know that this effort to prompt their response is underway. I know it's a small matter. But, maybe it will end up as some of that infamous "pork" that gets shoveled through the Senate. Our waterways should be as open as our highways!
Up here in the north east our highways are much more expensive that annual fishing licenses. I spend hundreds of dollars every year just crossing the Hudson and East rivers
Old 05-02-2021, 08:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedubya View Post
Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.
What is your point? Mostly everyone here knows American history. The issue is being able to fish (and other similar hobbies) while traveling without spending an inordinate amount of time or money dealing with State and local laws.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:20 AM   #20

I signed the Move-On petition with trepidation. But, I have never been contacted by them in response. I am not asking for you to donate to their broader causes. Politics is indeed a deep pool of characters. I respect and share your concerns about Federal government involvement, and absolutely don't want their regulation of everything. Regardless, I definitely don't want this discussion to seem or become political. There is definitely much diversity in how such a program would effect each state. I am just trying to garner some cooperative support and encouragement or guidance toward resolving this broad issue. We just need to find a more cohesive approach to being able to enjoy and support fishing across our nation, without regard to which state we are living in at the time,or where the fish may have swam from.
Closed Thread