Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2020, 11:08 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopesNC View Post
My wife was give
* was given . GEES sometimes I can't type and I know I can't spell ,but " was give " ?

I wish I could edit these things.

Years camping 50+,
Days camping in 2021, 120 and counting.
Rolling Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:13 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
A souvenir from my time at Camp Lejeune. They must be made out of steel, as they are much heavier than newer aluminum plates.

[IMG][/IMG]
WOW! Have not seen the green NC plate since I was in high school. That was at a time when you had to have the city plate on the front of the car. Whatever city address you had was the plate name that went on the front. I'm glad they did away with that.

Years camping 50+,
Old 11-06-2020, 12:51 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
I was in the process on renewing my truck registration here in NC and noticed the State is requiring vehicle license plate replacements starting January 1st 2021 for plates older than seven years old. Interesting the State says vehicle owners wouldn’t have to pay for the new tag where is the 11.6 million dollars coming from the first year to initiate the change ?
Mmmmmmmm Somehow I think us North Carolinians will be paying for it in some form.

The new replacement effort was tied to a requirement that North Carolina license plates use the latest in reflective technology to make them easier to see and read at night. The DMV has formed a team to come up with a reflectivity standard that also meets the needs of law enforcement agencies and machines that read plates to assess tolls or allow vehicles to enter or exit parking areas.

What I couldn’t find out is once you get the new plate is the State going to make you replace that one every seven years ? Oh well atleast it sounds like NC will be moving into the modern age with this change �� What are the poor inmates going to do now ?

Vehicle owners wouldn’t have to pay for the new tag, beyond the normal registration renewal fee and vehicle property tax payment. If they renew by mail, the new plate would come in the mail. If they renew at a license plate agency, they’d have to return to pick it up.

The old plate should be returned to the DMV, either by mail or to the license plate agency office, Abbott said, “so they can be properly removed from the system and destroyed.”

There are 9.2 million registered vehicles and trailers in North Carolina. The DMV has estimated the replacement effort would cost $11.6 million in the first year, including plates, registration cards and stickers, postage and IT costs, Abbott said
The agency also needs to update its registration computer system to flag when a plate needs replacing and order a new one.

“What this amendment does is actually it takes us into a modern age. It will inevitably remove the old metal stamp process that we currently do, as you know, by many of our North Carolina inmates and take them into the digital printing world,” Torbett told committee members. “It’s better for the license plate, to be able to read them for law enforcement. It’s better for the owner of the license plate to be more lucent. They’ll be brighter.”
They had that law here in Washington for a while. I haven't seen it on my license plate renewal for some time so perhaps it went away from all of the complaints (me included) Ostensibly it was so that law enforcement would be able to read the plates but there was a "fee" associated with it.

I can't recall that I EVER had a hard time reading a license plate but even if that was the case, we could direct the vehicle owner to get the plate replaced. For us here in Washington, it seemed to me to simply be another tax grab.
Old 11-06-2020, 12:57 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsgm View Post
They had that law here in Washington for a while. I haven't seen it on my license plate renewal for some time so perhaps it went away from all of the complaints (me included) Ostensibly it was so that law enforcement would be able to read the plates but there was a "fee" associated with it.

I can't recall that I EVER had a hard time reading a license plate but even if that was the case, we could direct the vehicle owner to get the plate replaced. For us here in Washington, it seemed to me to simply be another tax grab.
This thread made me curious, so I looked it up yesterday. Apparently the mandatory replacement in WA went away in 2015. I was kind of surprised because I hadn't heard & was thinking that my truck plate was probably due.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 01:00 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsgm View Post
For us here in Washington, it seemed to me to simply be another tax grab.
Here in WA they prefer to use the term "Fee" when adding costs to license issuing and renewal.

My last renewal statement looked like a Cable Bill with all the "add-ons".

I'm just glad I don't live in an area where license "Fees" have a HUGE addition for building light rail. How'd you like to live in Seattle where license renewal costs are more than some House Payments?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:27 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Here in WA they prefer to use the term "Fee" when adding costs to license issuing and renewal.

My last renewal statement looked like a Cable Bill with all the "add-ons".

I'm just glad I don't live in an area where license "Fees" have a HUGE addition for building light rail. How'd you like to live in Seattle where license renewal costs are more than some House Payments?
That sounds like CA, no matter what the government does they collect it from the taxpayers. Just different names and hiding techniques.
Some security cameras see those reflective plates as pure white at night. Useless for reading the number, no problem since most crooks operate during the day.😂
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:18 PM   #47

license plates

The reflective plates are useless because most people are going to install the laser blockers over them, even though illegal.
For the one who said here come the tolls, well we already have them here in Charlotte.
Mikolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:48 PM   #48

Quote:
The reflective plates are useless because most people are going to install the laser blockers over them, even though illegal.
I'm sure you meant "a few." Otherwise they'd be selling millions of these covers.

-- Chuck
Old 11-09-2020, 10:58 PM   #49

Antique

Quote:
A souvenir from my time at Camp Lejeune. They must be made out of steel, as they are much heavier than newer aluminum plates.
North Carolina also has a law which states that any antique vehicle (defined as over 40 years old) may bear a plate of the year the vehicle was built as long as the current plate is in the vehicle. It doesn't have to be on display, just in the vehicle. I found a 1962 plate for my 1962 Impala on eBay and have had it on the car for several years.

A couple of years ago I noticed a city of Raleigh pickup in the driveway, then noticed someone snooping around the yard. He didn't ring the doorbell--was just snooping around the yard. I asked him what he wanted. He said he was investigating an unlicensed car which had been reported at this address.

I asked him if he had looked up the state statute on antique vehicles. He said he had never heard of one. I explained the rules to him and told him to call his supervisor to confirm the information while I went into the house to get my keys.

When I returned, I asked him whether he had called his supervisor and what he had learned. He confirmed the call and that the information I gave him was correct. We walked over to the car and I didn't even open the doors. I said "You can see the plate on the back seat, with current sticker. Now, which of my neighbors complained." And that's when he got on his high horse and announced that he wasn't going to reveal that.

Looking back, I'm sorry I didn't simply tell him to get off the property.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 08:29 AM   #50

it's all revenue & Law enforcement to track you ...
what happen to our privet an personal information...

did it here in NY but be for they did it.
the Governor an some over paid artist mock up new plates .
huge debate that cost tax payers way to much..
the kicker is taxpayer's never see that end of this debate ..
Old 11-10-2020, 07:59 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
North Carolina also has a law which states that any antique vehicle (defined as over 40 years old) may bear a plate of the year the vehicle was built as long as the current plate is in the vehicle. It doesn't have to be on display, just in the vehicle. I found a 1962 plate for my 1962 Impala on eBay and have had it on the car for several years.

A couple of years ago I noticed a city of Raleigh pickup in the driveway, then noticed someone snooping around the yard. He didn't ring the doorbell--was just snooping around the yard. I asked him what he wanted. He said he was investigating an unlicensed car which had been reported at this address.

I asked him if he had looked up the state statute on antique vehicles. He said he had never heard of one. I explained the rules to him and told him to call his supervisor to confirm the information while I went into the house to get my keys.

When I returned, I asked him whether he had called his supervisor and what he had learned. He confirmed the call and that the information I gave him was correct. We walked over to the car and I didn't even open the doors. I said "You can see the plate on the back seat, with current sticker. Now, which of my neighbors complained." And that's when he got on his high horse and announced that he wasn't going to reveal that.

Looking back, I'm sorry I didn't simply tell him to get off the property.
Do a Freedom Of Information Act request on the complaint. I wonder why the city would be snooping around, as I would think that vehicle registration is a state function. A couple of times I've seen neighbors with expired tags, but I just give them a heads up. I certainly wouldn't rat them out.
2020 KZ 130RBSE
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 08:06 PM   #52

Why worry about the change, the state will send you a new tag or you will get one when you renew next time after this goes into effect. I have had the same tag on numerous vehicles here in Arkansas for 30 years now. it is on my Dually at this time and is still $25 per year
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:07 PM   #53

Quote:
I wonder why the city would be snooping around, as I would think that vehicle registration is a state function.
Key name to note here. RALEIGH !

Years camping 50+,