Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2019, 12:33 AM   #1

Question Need help choosing a Good Wireless Backup Camera System

I am totally new to the backup camera systems and totally confused as to what I should get. I need a system that will be easy to install without having to worry about running wires from the back of my trailer to my Tow Vehicle.
I have a 2000 GMC Yukon and a 2019 Forest River Cascade Trailer. My Budget is quite tight, but I am willing to pay a little bit more to buy a Quality Unit. I don't really need extra cameras for switching lanes, but the option sure would be nice!
I am not extremely handy with tools or directions anymore due to 2 strokes and a bad back, so I need a system that will be easy to install. If this sin't an option I am willing to wait a while longer to save up for a Professional to install the system for me.

I sure would appreciate any and all the help that you wonderful people of this site could give me!
Thanks in advance!

Dick
grandpawrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:41 AM   #2

Dick,

I wish I knew what to tell you. I'm in the market for a backup camera myself for a camper I bought new this past fall. Furrion has mounting brackets mounted on about everything coming off the assembly line these days and reviews I've read are either raving about how great they are or complaining about how the signal drops or is lagging/hesitating/freezing. So far I have been unwilling to flip a coin and hope for the best, mainly because of the poor/lack of customer service reports I have also about Furrion. Mainly that if something is wrong and it's past the 1 year warranty period, they offer to sell you a new unit and have no ability to repair what most would consider a sizable investment.

This, Directly from their website:

"Please contact Furrion Customer Support at 800-789-3341. If your camera system is in warranty it will be replaced at no charge, if your camera is out of warranty Customer Support will be able to assist with the purchase of a new camera."

I'm going to do something this spring but I think it's going to be something other than Furrion. I've heard pretty good reviews on tadibrothers.com customer service and equipment and am leaning that way.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:11 PM   #3
Site Team

Here's the unit I would recommend. It's exactly the same unit as the one Tadi Brothers sells for twice as much (I own both). You can also get the same system with a 5" screen if you'd rather have a smaller screen.

Digital Wireless Backup Camera System

Digital Wireless Backup Camera System with 5" Monitor
Old 03-12-2019, 12:22 PM   #4

Bama Rambler - thanks for the information!
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:43 PM   #5

I just purchased a Haloview MC7108.
www.amazon.com/Haloview-Digital-Wireless-Reversing-Waterproof/dp/B07GKXPKRS

Very simple to install. I always travel with lights on so it was simply a matter of removing the center running light on the rear of the trailer and tying into the positive and negative wires. Mounted the camera and replaced the running light and it looks like OEM. After TT hookup the camera comes on as soon as I turn the lights on. The monitor sits on the dash and plugs into a cigarette lighter socket.

Amazing camera. There are numerous youtube videos. This is a good one.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:14 PM   #6

Our experience with the pre-installed Furrion Bracket (tied into the running lights) and the Furrion observation wireless camera has been excellent. We asked the dealer to install the camera when we bought our 2506S Mini Lite and it does a great job - the wireless connection to the monitor in the Expedition has always been immediate and clear.
I'm sure that there are many to choose from - I just wanted to say that our experience with the Furrion has been very good.
JROtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpawrichard View Post
I am totally new to the backup camera systems and totally confused as to what I should get. I need a system that will be easy to install without having to worry about running wires from the back of my trailer to my Tow Vehicle.
I have a 2000 GMC Yukon and a 2019 Forest River Cascade Trailer. My Budget is quite tight, but I am willing to pay a little bit more to buy a Quality Unit. I don't really need extra cameras for switching lanes, but the option sure would be nice!
I am not extremely handy with tools or directions anymore due to 2 strokes and a bad back, so I need a system that will be easy to install. If this sin't an option I am willing to wait a while longer to save up for a Professional to install the system for me.

I sure would appreciate any and all the help that you wonderful people of this site could give me!
Thanks in advance!

Dick

Grandpaw Dick

Thanks for asking the question. I have been thinking about a WIRELESS BACK UP CAMERA myself, but never got into gear to do research or purchase.

Guess my big dilemma is knowing how far a particular unit can transmit.
I own a 30 foot travel trailer & full size pick up truck.

I'd would also be curious to see what others say or recommend.
How far can a wireless system transmit?

Thanks
Ken
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:12 PM   #8

Appreciate everyone's responses. one other thing I'll throw out is to make sure you decide if you want just a "backup camera" or an "Observation camera" and know the difference . The backup is meant to be tied to use of reverse and only for backing up. The observation camera is a constant on if the trailer lights are on and meant to be used for backing up AND to act as a rear view mirror of sorts as you are driving down the highway.

It's my thought that some of the complaints out there about camera's are because some bought a camera never intended to be used as an observation camera and are having wireless signal issues.

Lastly, if you are going to post a solution you have found, it would be helpful to others as they research which camera to buy if you posted your camper length and how the signal is for us. What might work without issue on a 27' camper may not work on a 40' camper worth a darn. Hopefully we can build a nice thread here with good info for people researching the right camera for them.

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2019, 05:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post

Lastly, if you are going to post a solution you have found, it would be helpful to others as they research which camera to buy if you posted your camper length and how the signal is for us. What might work without issue on a 27' camper may not work on a 40' camper worth a darn. Hopefully we can build a nice thread here with good info for people researching the right camera for them.

Thanks!
Yes!
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Dick,

I wish I knew what to tell you. I'm in the market for a backup camera myself for a camper I bought new this past fall. Furrion has mounting brackets mounted on about everything coming off the assembly line these days and reviews I've read are either raving about how great they are or complaining about how the signal drops or is lagging/hesitating/freezing. So far I have been unwilling to flip a coin and hope for the best, mainly because of the poor/lack of customer service reports I have also about Furrion. Mainly that if something is wrong and it's past the 1 year warranty period, they offer to sell you a new unit and have no ability to repair what most would consider a sizable investment.

This, Directly from their website:

"Please contact Furrion Customer Support at 800-789-3341. If your camera system is in warranty it will be replaced at no charge, if your camera is out of warranty Customer Support will be able to assist with the purchase of a new camera."

I'm going to do something this spring but I think it's going to be something other than Furrion. I've heard pretty good reviews on tadibrothers.com customer service and equipment and am leaning that way.
I have to say, this was exactly my experience with Furrion. my camera crapped out just a month or two out of warranty - i was offered a 10 or 15 % discount to buy a new system but passed. sorry if they wouldn't stand by their equipment just outside the warranty period, then I'm not going to continue to buy their stuff. it sure seemed like an easy fix too, but i dont know what was wrong. the unit just lost connection on the trip home last october in Chicago and I could never get it to re-pair. i even called twice as i was passing furrion on the I-90 (both east when the issue was starting and west when the camera crapped out) to see if they would help get it operational again and they said they could not assist at their head office.

id love to recommend a new camera for you, but i have no hands on experience with any - yet. i ordered a tadi brothers system, that comes with an adapter mount to allow for the camera placement into the stock OEM furion mount already on my unit. it also is an observation system - so always on - highly recommended. I should have feedback shortly - potentially easter weekend, but definitely May 5 when we get the unit out for the first trip this year. i can say for the same money, according to the tadi specs, i feel i got a better resolution camera and a wider monitor for the same price as the furrion system. only time will tell.

i can say, when the furrion worked it was pretty good, although i did have intermittent signal failure on a 41 foot 5er. i bought a longer antenna for the camera that i was going to install based on furions recommendation when i was traveling east, but of course, its of no use now.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:30 PM   #11

Hi I have a Furion i got for Christmas never installed. Pm if interested. Thanks
justpassinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:31 PM   #12

I got one for Christmas never installed. Pm me if interested thanks
justpassinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROtexas View Post
Our experience with the pre-installed Furrion Bracket (tied into the running lights) and the Furrion observation wireless camera has been excellent. We asked the dealer to install the camera when we bought our 2506S Mini Lite and it does a great job - the wireless connection to the monitor in the Expedition has always been immediate and clear.
I'm sure that there are many to choose from - I just wanted to say that our experience with the Furrion has been very good.
Same system for 2 years on a 43' 5er. Never dropped a signal. No problems. Easy install as described above.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:50 PM   #14

Thumbs up

Thank you Everyone for your responses! You have given me a lot of information to digest!
I think that this post could be of value to quite a few people that are considering a camera system. At least I hope it can be.
This site is such a wealth of information and so full of wonderful, caring people that are always willing to share information!

Dick
Old 03-13-2019, 05:48 AM   #15

I bought a 4Ucam TWO Digital Wireless Camera + 7" Monitor Quad-view + Adapter for Furrion FRCBRKT-BL Pre-install Mounting Kit (FOS48T-BL/FOC12TA-BL) for RV. About $360. works great. Comes with 2 cameras, has a big 7" screen. All you have to do is hook to 12 or 24 volt power. Plug your screen in tow Vehicle and Pair them and good to go. You can do one screen, split screen, four screens. Very user friendly, and not overly expensive.
Moms TT Dads F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:54 AM   #16
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Same system for 2 years on a 43' 5er. Never dropped a signal. No problems. Easy install as described above.
X 2 only complaint I have is I have the 5 inch monitor screen. At my age little hard to see. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:37 AM   #17

Went with the Furion. Trailer wasn't pre-wired so bought their bracket. Looks good, works well. Only problem I had was when my trailer came unplugged and I lost the signal because power was cut to the camera. Was glad to find that immediately because I also had no brakes. I wire tie my connector in before every trip now.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:08 PM   #18

Thumbs up

Thank you to everyone that posted to this thread! I really appreciate All of your comments and the information that you shared!
After much extensive and deliberate investigation I have finally made up my mind on which system to purchase. I just purchased a Haloview MC7108 !

I have spent a lot of hours researching he products last night and today. I read all of the customer reviews, product specs and weighed all of the options. Even though my trailer came with a Furion Camera Mount I thought that To me, for my use I feel that the money was well spent on the I just purchased a Haloview MC7108.

Two of my main reasons for choosing this brand and model are The 720p camera and the ability to Record.
I also like the idea of the bigger viewing screen. My vision isn't what it used to be, even though I have had Cataracts removed and have also had some Lazik Surgery on my eyes.

My wife and I have decided that we are going to make a custom mount for the screen so that we can mount it for use on the Rear view Mirror of my Yukon. Then when we are not towing the trailer we can easily remove the monitor and store it in the locking storage compartment so that we can use that mirror for normal use.

I Don't want my whole dash and Forward Visibility used up by a monitor. We will probably design and use a Velcro Strap mounting system to attach the monitor to the rear view mirror.

I also liked the Ease of mounting the system and how quickly it pared with the monitor.

I promise to let you all know any and all Likes or Dislikes that I have with the system and also how we made our own custom mount.

Dick
Old 03-14-2019, 12:05 PM   #19

X2
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Appreciate everyone's responses. one other thing I'll throw out is to make sure you decide if you want just a "backup camera" or an "Observation camera" and know the difference . The backup is meant to be tied to use of reverse and only for backing up. The observation camera is a constant on if the trailer lights are on and meant to be used for backing up AND to act as a rear view mirror of sorts as you are driving down the highway.

It's my thought that some of the complaints out there about camera's are because some bought a camera never intended to be used as an observation camera and are having wireless signal issues.

Thanks!

Wow! You threw a curve ball at me CincyGus with the BACK UP (reverse only) vs OBSERVATION CAMERA. I had no idea and assumed they were one in the same.

As you stated, WI-FI signal vs trailer length is very important so there will not be any dropped signal when using.

Everyone is talking Furion. I am sure there are other brands.
I guess if I did a search on Amazon I'd find information.
KEN9XL is offline   Reply With Quote