Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #1
Site Team

Need help/suggestions/advise moving a trailer

Due to some unfortunate circumstances and some family issues, we are looking at moving our 5th wheel trailer from our current permanent site to another permanent site at a different campground.

When we bought this trailer we did not have a truck to pull it with. A few people told us that this was a bad idea but we figured since we were permanent we wouldn't need to move it much. We had the dealer deliver it for us to our original CG and the last time we moved, the new CG was able to help out.

This time around the new CG doesn't have a way to move it and we don't personally know anyone with a big enough truck and hitch. The dealer we bought from doesn't offer this service after initial purchase.

I've found RV transport companies online but I have no idea what the cost will be. We have about a month and a half and I'm trying explore all options.

We've even discussed buying a truck of our own but it seems silly to spend that much money to use one time and then let it simply sit in our driveway afterwards. Although the option to travel with it would be available to us. But I think we like being seasonal more.

Any thoughts, opinions or suggestions? Anyone ever use any type of RV transport service?
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #2

First, sorry to hear about your situation. Just a thought... Have you considered putting a help wanted type of ad in a local paper, craigslist, etc. Maybe a mobile RV tech would do it or might know somebody that will.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:26 PM   #3

It depends on how far you are moving, but I would think someone you know has a hitch and would be happy to move it for you. I assume you asked people at work, friends and family. None of my known relatives or workmates have a 5er(one has TT). I have a few friends and several customers who do..and would prolly move mine if asked.

Craigslist is a good idea....assuming you can trust the person.

Call the local RV dealer or RV service center or RV storage lot?
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:00 PM   #4
Weekend Warrior

maybe someone on here could help. Seems to be a pretty large network of great people
KyleStout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:04 PM   #5

Quote:
current permanent site to another permanent site at a different campground.
From where to where?

Maybe someone will offer to help if they knew where...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:06 PM   #6
Broken Toe

Pay the pro's. If for no reason they are insured. Lets say your cousin's neighbors Uncle's boss has a truck big enough and offers to move it for $200 for you. In the process, he bends the hitch, tears off the rear jacks and mangles the bumper. His insurance won't cover it (as it was a for-hire job, and unless he paid extra for 'for hire' coverage, any claim will be denied) and getting him to pay for that will damn near take an act of congress.

You may check with mobile home transporters, or even local towing (wrecker) companies.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:25 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
From where to where?

Maybe someone will offer to help if they knew where...
I'm in Northern Illinois in the Rockford area. The actual distance the trailer will be moving is about 50 miles.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:25 PM   #8

Im not sure where you are located and how far your are wanting to move but if you are in my area I'll help you. Ive got a 3500 with a 5er hitch or I can do a bumper pull if you have the drawbar. Im sure someone on this forum might be near you, if Im not, that could help. Where are you located, what camper are you moving and how far do you need it moved? I dont see your sig or anything to know.

If no one can do it, then I would use a transport service. I know I get a discount through progressive (my insurance) company on non-emergency towing (that doesn't count towards a claim), if you have an insurance policy you might look into it. If not then I would just use a towing service/transport service out of my own pocket, Just look for reviews online and ask about insurance and what exactly you will be paying for beforehand.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:29 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Pay the pro's. If for no reason they are insured. Lets say your cousin's neighbors Uncle's boss has a truck big enough and offers to move it for $200 for you. In the process, he bends the hitch, tears off the rear jacks and mangles the bumper. His insurance won't cover it (as it was a for-hire job, and unless he paid extra for 'for hire' coverage, any claim will be denied) and getting him to pay for that will damn near take an act of congress.

You may check with mobile home transporters, or even local towing (wrecker) companies.

Tim
We have full coverage on the trailer itself. I'll have to call them to see what would happen if something does happen to it while in transport.

I called a local place that is a CG, RV repair shop and dealer all in one. The guy I talked to took my name and number and said he may have someone that can help me out. I'll update later when I get a call back.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:36 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Many R/V sales places in our area do this (for a fee) even if you didn't buy it from them.
Have you checked with local R/V dealers in the area?

Sorry to hear you have to make some changes.
Hope it all works out.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:23 AM   #11

Call a tow truck. We had them move ours.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:45 PM   #12
Canadian Full Timer

Thumbs up We use(d) a Towing Company

Hello - when we moved a few times within a campground here in Canada, and then later to another one for a permanent spot, we used a Towing company. They have all the experienced drivers, and all insurances in place as well.

I now know a local RV hauler in our area here on Vancouver Island and he is very good at what he does, but is also very busy. Word of mouth for this type of person is the best reference you can get and, once again, all the necessary insurances are in place so you don't have to worry if something should go wrong. If you ever move to Vancouver Island, I would send you his name............
Cherokeerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokeerose View Post
Hello - when we moved a few times within a campground here in Canada, and then later to another one for a permanent spot, we used a Towing company. They have all the experienced drivers, and all insurances in place as well.

I now know a local RV hauler in our area here on Vancouver Island and he is very good at what he does, but is also very busy. Word of mouth for this type of person is the best reference you can get and, once again, all the necessary insurances are in place so you don't have to worry if something should go wrong. If you ever move to Vancouver Island, I would send you his name............
I've wondered about doing a small business with that. Could be a good way to pay for a new truck!
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokeerose View Post

Keel Hauling?

2014 Crusader 351 REQ Touring Edition (the Cottage)
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT (Allison B)
Nights in the Cottage: 2014: 27, 2015: 80 2016: 47,[B]2017:41
2018: Jan= 2, Feb=2, Mar=3, Apr=2, May=7, June=5, July=15, Aug=1,Sept=2,
Running Total:232
Rigpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:04 PM   #15

Sucks you dont have a friend that could help you I'd move it for the cost of fuel if I was close enough to ya . Good luck with your search .

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:09 PM   #16

moving

Rent a truck from U-Haul. They have many to choose from.
bobstepsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:12 PM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobstepsup View Post
Rent a truck from U-Haul. They have many to choose from.

He has a fifth wheel. Uhaul won't have a hitch.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:12 PM   #18
Always Learning

What about calling a mobile RV tech?
Old 09-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #19

My thoughts are have someone that is in the business of moving RV's move it. No brainer.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #20

You have many RV dealers in the Rockford area from Belvidere to Huntley, Beloit to Marengo. I would start calling them and see if anyone will help you. When we had our rental business we used to deliver trailers for dealers. I agree with the previous poster about insurance. What happens is that the insurance of the tow vehicle becomes your insurance while towing. I carried special insurance.
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer