Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2024, 10:59 AM   #1

Need some advice on cold temp travel

I've read many threads on camping in the cold, and think I have a pretty good idea of what I will do, but would like some assurances from those of you who have travelled through the cold to get to the warm.
We plan to leave northern Ohio next Wed to travel to Arizona. The weather forecasts as of this morning along our route show one 12 hour period of below freezing weather with the low being 23. I don't remember ever being out in temps that cold. The rest of the trip shows to be above freezing. My Rockwood 2604 has the water lines above the floor, except where they cross the camper, they are in the floor (luan, foam, luan floor) where a channel has been cut to allow them from one side to the other. The 3 tanks have heaters (I think- I've checked the current draw, and have some concerns about whether they all 3 are working or not). My 2 biggest concerns are the cross through storage where the water heater (I'll leave that on propane) and water pump are located, and the area behind walls where the outside shower connect. I do plan to stay at a campground where I'll be able to plug in and put a 110 incandescent light in the cross through by the water pump, and I'll open up a passage to the area where the outside shower connects to allow heat from the camper to access.
I guess my question is, I'll be travelling for several hours (3-5) with below freezing temps before I get to the campground. What are your thoughts on the pump and outside shower for that time?
I could leave it winterized, but having access to the water system while travelling is nice, and it's only a 12 hour period I'm worried about.
Thanks in advance for your help.
2011 Rockwood 2604
K_and_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 11:49 AM   #2

You will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_and_I View Post
I've read many threads on camping in the cold, and think I have a pretty good idea of what I will do, but would like some assurances from those of you who have travelled through the cold to get to the warm.
We plan to leave northern Ohio next Wed to travel to Arizona. The weather forecasts as of this morning along our route show one 12 hour period of below freezing weather with the low being 23. I don't remember ever being out in temps that cold. The rest of the trip shows to be above freezing. My Rockwood 2604 has the water lines above the floor, except where they cross the camper, they are in the floor (luan, foam, luan floor) where a channel has been cut to allow them from one side to the other. The 3 tanks have heaters (I think- I've checked the current draw, and have some concerns about whether they all 3 are working or not). My 2 biggest concerns are the cross through storage where the water heater (I'll leave that on propane) and water pump are located, and the area behind walls where the outside shower connect. I do plan to stay at a campground where I'll be able to plug in and put a 110 incandescent light in the cross through by the water pump, and I'll open up a passage to the area where the outside shower connects to allow heat from the camper to access.
I guess my question is, I'll be travelling for several hours (3-5) with below freezing temps before I get to the campground. What are your thoughts on the pump and outside shower for that time?
I could leave it winterized, but having access to the water system while travelling is nice, and it's only a 12 hour period I'm worried about.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Not necessary to winterize for the trip you describe. You'll be fine.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 12:28 PM   #3

I would de-winterize, sanitize and drain the system including the water heater. With what little water will be in the gray and black tanks not an issue as there will be plenty of room to expand into if it freezes. Same for the fresh water tank, don't need to be full just small amount to get you to where you are going.

Like Larry-NC said you'll be fine either way just depends on your risk tolerance acceptability.
Safe travels.

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 12:44 PM   #4

We travel this time of year often.

We place a gallon of water in the sink to wash hands etc. a gallon of rv antifreeze in the shower for the toilet.

Off we go! We then dewinterize and clean and flush the water tank when the weather is cooperating and I have. The time.

Temps of 20 or above should be no big deal.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 02:23 PM   #5
D W

I can only say this:

1. In cold temps, water freezes faster than it thaws.

2. When water freezes it will freeze in the most unsuspected and inconvenient location(s).
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 02:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
I can only say this:

1. In cold temps, water freezes faster than it thaws.

2. When water freezes it will freeze in the most unsuspected and inconvenient location(s).
If you suspect the unsuspected, then where does the water freeze? In the previously suspected places?
Old 02-24-2024, 02:55 PM   #7

Thanks to all who responded. If the forecast does not change significantly, I plan to de-winterize the beginning of the week. It's too cold today.
2011 Rockwood 2604
Old 02-25-2024, 09:40 AM   #8

IF you wait till you get further south for dewinterizing and hauling water in the FW tank, absolutely no concerns. Hauling a few water jugs and some RV antifreeze for the black and gray tanks will stop them from freezing, no tank heaters required.
A small chance of water problems can be made into NO chance of water problems. Why risk it?
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 10:00 AM   #9

I tend to be someone who overthinks things. It occurred to me this morning that the low point drains will be totally unprotected. A few years ago, I replaced the screw on caps with valves. They are much handier when de-winterizing, but I am now concerned that they will freeze. Today's forecast now says 22 degrees overnight at our first stop. I am re-thinking (overthinking?) de-winterizing before the trip.
Has anyone had low point drains freeze on their system?
2011 Rockwood 2604
Old 02-26-2024, 10:52 AM   #10
llr

Quote:
I tend to be someone who overthinks things. It occurred to me this morning that the low point drains will be totally unprotected. A few years ago, I replaced the screw on caps with valves. They are much handier when de-winterizing, but I am now concerned that they will freeze. Today's forecast now says 22 degrees overnight at our first stop. I am re-thinking (overthinking?) de-winterizing before the trip.
It won't hurt the pex, worst case is it could break the valve. Do you have spare valves, caps etc to close off the lines just in case? If so I wouldn't worry about it.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 11:23 AM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Large pool noodles (cut to fit) do a good job of protection for low point drains.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 11:37 AM   #12

Thanks for the replies. It's easier to de-winterize at home with everything at my fingertips, but I think I'll wait until after the first night. All should stay above freezing after that.
Thanks again.
2011 Rockwood 2604

Tags
travel