Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2016, 03:47 PM   #1

Need some help, Rv Problems

Good Afternoon,
I am hoping someone can provide me guidance. We purchased a C class last October 2015, and unfortunately we could only take it out three times it has been at the dealers for fixes, and repairs we did purchase a 2016. The last week of October 2016 we went to fill it up with gas so we could go out labor day week, and as we turned the corner water started pouring in my husbands lap from the head liner ( he was driving). We took it in the Saturday prior to Labor day to our dealer), we did talk to Customer Service at Forest River, and we were told they will help us. It is now Sept 21st, and we still have no RV, and no one called us back. The dealer said they would put a new head liner in, but we do not know where the water came form. We are new in the RV world, we have been camping for over 30 years, but wanted an RV to get ready for retirement. I am worried about mold and mildew. Please any advice, I just want to get back to camping before winter takes over. Help Please..
Kim Rvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:02 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Who has the RV now? FR or the dealer? If the dealer has it, that's where you need to look for answers. If the dealer says they are waiting on parts, you can call FR to see if parts have actually been ordered. This is a ploy used by some dealers to stretch out time for an understaffed service center.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:05 PM   #3

I would first certainly speak with the owner or GM. Water damage is nothing to take lightly. Hopefully you can cover. You dont want a "patch"! You want the probelm solved. You spent a lot of money, if they don't listen... Maybe Forest River will.. Or social media!
2011 Dodge 2500 w Hemi
Mods completed = 10
Camping Days 2016 = 46 Nights, 21 More Booked!
Texanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:59 PM   #4

Document and CC the dealership and RV rep so that everyone is on the same page. Include pics and timeframes.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:12 PM   #5

Kim-sorry but I'm really confused by your years or maybe it's the month? You state that you went to fill up with gas in Oct 2016 for Labor Day outing. Obviously something is wrong with that date! If it was Oct 2015 you have been without your RV for 11 months while all the time having water inside the unit and maybe more coming in when it rains. Perhaps you meant Aug, 2016, I just don't have a clue1
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:00 PM   #6

I am sorry if it seems confusing, The FR dealer has had my RV since Aug 24th 2016. I purchased in Oct of 2016. I had to take it back for a list of items that were not correct, and they were going to fix. It went back in Nov 2016, I had to call the dealer several times, and I got it back in March of 2016. They needed it back due to not fixing everything, and somehow my decals were missing over the external vent for the refrig. We got it back in one week, they ordered wrong parts, could not complete and a new Service Manger, and he stated the previous Service Manager never put the list in our folder, we went back and made the list again. I had the RV back, then getting ready for Labor day 2016 vacation, we went to fill up and that is when the water came down. I called in and the Service Manager was no longer there, this is third Service Manager. They now have my RV, and I have not heard anything. I have a fear, I am asthmatic and mildew sets it off, will they be able to get all the water out. I did make a mistake, I gave the second Service Manager my handwritten notes, where the third cannot find them. He sounded so trusty worthy. I have since then started the notes again. I have reached out to FR and the manager at the dealership with no assistance from the dealership, I am waiting for FR help.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:36 PM   #7
Site Team

Kim,
Still a little confused - Oct & Nov of 2016 have not arrive yet. Are you referring to last year, 2015?

Am I correct in reading that the RV went back to the dealership Aug 2015 until March 2016? And then when filling up for Labor Day earlier this month the water issue occurred?

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:58 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Rvr View Post
I am sorry if it seems confusing, The FR dealer has had my RV since Aug 24th 2016. I purchased in Oct of 2016. I had to take it back for a list of items that were not correct, and they were going to fix. It went back in Nov 2016, I had to call the dealer several times, and I got it back in March of 2016. They needed it back due to not fixing everything, and somehow my decals were missing over the external vent for the refrig. We got it back in one week, they ordered wrong parts, could not complete and a new Service Manger, and he stated the previous Service Manager never put the list in our folder, we went back and made the list again. I had the RV back, thengetting ready for Labor day 2016 vacation, we went to fill up and that is when the water came down. I called in and the Service Manager was no longer there, this is third Service Manager. They now have my RV, and I have not heard anything. I have a fear, I am asthmatic and mildew sets it off, will they be able to get all the water out. I did make a mistake, I gave the second Service Manager my handwritten notes, where the third cannot find them. He sounded so trusty worthy. I have since then started the notes again. I have reached out to FR and the manager at the dealership with no assistance from the dealership, I am waiting for FR help.

The dates you list do not add up. Please see them in red above. I think you are mixing up 2015 and 2016 as October and November 2016 have not yet occurred.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:02 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

You need to find out exactly what repairs have been done and why the decals are gone. in response to your mildew question. Yes you need to worry about mold/mildew any time water intrusion is involved.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:04 PM   #10

I am sorry I was trying to write prior to dinner. Purchased October 2015. It is a. 2016 c class Forrest River. I am sorry just frustrated about this. Miss camping. I appreciate everyone's comments and advice. I am hoping to here from Forrest River tomorrow.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:06 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I would ask for it to be taken back to the factory for repairs.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:08 PM   #12

I would prefer that. I did not know we could do that.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:20 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Yes. My fifth wheel has been sent back two times. I believe it works for the motorhomes as well. What class C do you have?
Old 09-21-2016, 07:45 PM   #14

I only know it is a c class ford 350 This is our first one. It is 24 feet
Old 09-21-2016, 08:01 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Is it a sunseeker, leprechaun, etc?
Old 09-22-2016, 12:43 PM   #16

I had a similar problem with a motorhome that I had. I went to drive it and water came down from front upper area. I took out the upper lights and resealed. That took care of leaking problem.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:52 PM   #17

Kim
You should email to the service mgr. your list. ask him to confirm that he recd. the list.
save all your correspondence with him in a email file. it gives you proof of dates and conversations with the dealer. Most dealers will email you back.
By the way did the water come from up near the roof or from the area just above the drivers head?
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:17 PM   #18

Return to factory. Do not settle for dealer repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Rvr View Post
Good Afternoon,
I am hoping someone can provide me guidance. We purchased a C class last October 2015, and unfortunately we could only take it out three times it has been at the dealers for fixes, and repairs we did purchase a 2016. The last week of October 2016 we went to fill it up with gas so we could go out labor day week, and as we turned the corner water started pouring in my husbands lap from the head liner ( he was driving). We took it in the Saturday prior to Labor day to our dealer), we did talk to Customer Service at Forest River, and we were told they will help us. It is now Sept 21st, and we still have no RV, and no one called us back. The dealer said they would put a new head liner in, but we do not know where the water came form. We are new in the RV world, we have been camping for over 30 years, but wanted an RV to get ready for retirement. I am worried about mold and mildew. Please any advice, I just want to get back to camping before winter takes over. Help Please..
I had an identical experience with same leak in a class c made by Thor. The headliner filled up with water and you would get drenched. Dealer was Byerly RV in Eureka, MO. I took it to them twice and they did nothing except dry out headliner in cab and smear some sealer at joint where front cap is joined to back body of motorhome. Needless to say, I got wet again and water even ran out of some of overhead lights in living area of camper. I once again went back to Byerly RV and they told me they had fixed it and I had also told them I couldn't hold it in the road and they told me everything was fine and tires were balanced. You dtill couldn't hold it in the road. I was informed by Byerly that they had done all they were going to do and it was ready to take home. You are required to give dealer 2 chances to fix with a Thor product so I called Thor and they told me a dealer would never be able to fix that and set me up with repair date and they sent a driver to pick it up. It was returned about a month later and they had replaced headliner and all wood that had been wet as well as removing all old seal where cab over and camper were joined and redid all that. No more leaks. I had also informed them about the steering and Byerly refusal to do anything about it. It came back with new Michelins and drove like a dream. I later received a recall from Michelin on all 6 of the original tires. Long story short, Thor did good and I will never darken Byerly RV's door again. Moral of story, send it to factory for rebuild.
Old codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:21 PM   #19

I dont have a motor home. but we had a list of issues with our trailer selling dealer service department was a joke ..long story..ended up taking unit to the closest factory gave them a copy (two page worth) of the problems ..got the trailer back repaired within two weeks. I recommend by-passing the dealership if you can
mopar.bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
I would ask for it to be taken back to the factory for repairs.
X2, it needs to be thoroughly disassembled in the wet area(s) and inspected for mold as any material affected needs to be replaced. Mold can start in as little as 24 hours and be visible in 48.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote