Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2020, 08:32 PM   #1

need to move camper 3 feet! without a truck!

31 BHSS Salem. My camper is in a private park and never gets moved. I bought it where it sits. The tongue faces a small downward hill, no way to get my truck to hook up to trailer. I need to move it maybe 3 feet to square it up to a concrete drive. I am going to have a "car port" built over it to protect it from the elements. Any suggestions on how to move it without a truck?
twam911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:38 PM   #2

Many parks I've been to have a ball attachment they can put on a tractor, have you asked the ground crew if they can help?
filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:39 PM   #3

Does the park have a backhoe or something like it that you can hire ?
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:40 PM   #4

I move mine with my Kubota farm tractor... ball is on the hydraulic hitch on the back... I can back up to the trailer, align the ball, then use the hydraulics to lift the tongue. Any 3 point hitch tractor can do this... all that is needed is a DRAWBAR and a hitch ball attached to it. Ask around to see who has a tractor nearby.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:06 PM   #5

Asking the park for help is the best way, but...if you place blocks under the front tongue, and lower the tongue jack to rest on the blocks, then retract the tongue and place a block under the tongue, then lower the tongue you may be able to lift the front high enough to back the truck under to make the connection. In other words take the slope out by lifting the front of the trailer hitch higher. MAKE SURE ALL YOUR STABILIZERS ARE FULLY RETRACTED. Good Luck
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twam911 View Post
31 BHSS Salem. My camper is in a private park and never gets moved. I bought it where it sits. The tongue faces a small downward hill, no way to get my truck to hook up to trailer. I need to move it maybe 3 feet to square it up to a concrete drive. I am going to have a "car port" built over it to protect it from the elements. Any suggestions on how to move it without a truck?
What about a com-along with some tow straps around the axle? Could be difficult to attach to the axle without damage.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:25 PM   #7

See if you can rent a trailer dolly like the park it 360.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfrede View Post
What about a com-along with some tow straps around the axle? Could be difficult to attach to the axle without damage.
I moved a trailer using this method years ago. A lot or rigging necessary as well as a good anchor point. My trailer was a bumper pull and to make sure I didn't bend the tongue jack I added some chain from spring hangars to the base plate on the jack leg. Luckily I had a huge tree to use as an anchor point.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:05 PM   #9

sounds like you need some trees, slings, a come-along, and some creative thinking
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfrede View Post
No way I would attempt this pulling it forward on a "Small Downward hill". If the trailer gets moving forward and you have nothing attached to it other than straps to pull it forward towards something unmovable that you have the come-along attached to, how do you stop it? I see this ending badly under this method. If it were a uphill slope, yes. Downhill, NO WAY!
Old 03-24-2020, 01:18 PM   #11
"Curmudgeon"

Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
Depending on the pin weight, a furniture dolly might work. I drilled a 3/4" hole in the bucket loader of my Kubota tractor, and bolted a 3/8" piece of steel with a 2" ball mounted on it.
2018 F-150 4X4 Max tow EcoBoost 3.5
2020 Tesla Model Y
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:23 PM   #12
Old Engineer

I used to move my Corvette into a winter storage spot by using a heavy duty hydraulic floor jack with steel wheels to move it sideways, one end at a time.

You could do the same thing if you rolled the jacks wheels on timber rails so it didn't sink into the ground.

A few big friends, some beers, and a rope to pull on and you are good to go.

FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post
No way I would attempt this pulling it forward on a "Small Downward hill". If the trailer gets moving forward and you have nothing attached to it other than straps to pull it forward towards something unmovable that you have the come-along attached to, how do you stop it? I see this ending badly under this method. If it were a uphill slope, yes. Downhill, NO WAY!
I was assuming he wanted to move it backwards uphill. It fairly easy to move it forward down hill. But if it needs to be moved back and forth for some alignment, then a tractor is about it. Obviously if you move something downhill you need to be able to check the movement, like another rope on the back of the unit.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:12 PM   #14

Your profile says you live in Bettendorf, IA. I'm betting that your seasonal site is someplace close in Iowa or Illinois, and that the campground owner either owns a tractor or knows somebody close by who does. I'm thinking that if you can't get your truck hooked up to the travel trailer, that a tractor is the easiest - and SAFEST - way to move it.

Good luck.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
Your profile says you live in Bettendorf, IA. I'm betting that your seasonal site is someplace close in Iowa or Illinois, and that the campground owner either owns a tractor or knows somebody close by who does. I'm thinking that if you can't get your truck hooked up to the travel trailer, that a tractor is the easiest - and SAFEST - way to move it.

Good luck.
X2.

Someone had to get that trailer into that site and I'm betting the campground stored it there. It's a fairly common practice for campgrounds to sell storage and move trailers to sites that suit their needs. They will usually pull it out when you need it.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:31 PM   #16

We used the UTV with 2" receiver hitch to move ours all the time. Short and fast turning, and won't roll away from you. Someone will have one.
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:50 PM   #17

A couple cases of beer and a few buddies. lol ������������������
EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:22 PM   #18

Beer over Wheaties should do it, a little sugar on the Wheaties may also help!
Good luck
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:24 PM   #19

Six pack of PBR and 4 Southern boys, and that sucker will be wherever it needs to go, asap!!!!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthy-Beast View Post
Many parks I've been to have a ball attachment they can put on a tractor, have you asked the ground crew if they can help?
Thats a good question and I will have to ask! thanks
twam911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, truck