Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #21

I stand corrected, It is listed as a GVWR of 9250
It also indicates a pin weight at 21%. So 21% of 9250 is about 1950 pounds. Still way too much for a 1/2 ton. Heck, my GM 2500HD only had a real world net cargo carrying capacity of 1750 pounds when loaded and ready to go camping.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #22
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspoe View Post
I am waiting on the delivery of my 2012 8288WS (Diamond Package) and recently bought a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4 to pull it. It has the full tow package and I am planning on having the RV dealer install the hitch. Any special tips on this combo by those experienced RVers out there would be much appreciated.

Marshall
First of all, congratulations, and welcome to the board. Now, while some may have come off as a bit heavy handed (or worded) in their assessment of your truck, I would in general agree with them. Without knowing actual weights, it's hard to know for sure, and the actual specs on your truck could vary as well (due to the 4X4, how many doors, bed length, etc.). However, even if all the stars lined up, and the trailer, at it's max GVWR, is within the rated specs of the truck, you may find that you are not happy with the performance. As one mentioned, towing any but the smallest 5th wheels can be an experience for a 1/2 truck. The general advice and wisdom would say that the 3/4 ton truck would be a much better choice, both for safety and comfort. As was said, if you only stick to the "local area" (I pretty much stick to the East Texas area), you may be fine. But if you are pulling through mountains or even hilly areas, you may quickly find that truck is just not up to the task.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #23

WOW! You people sure do know how to take the fun out of RVing. He already has the truck and the trailer is on order and all you folks can do it tell him he's made a terrible mistake. What do you expect him to do, sell his truck? Cancel his order?

This is the main reason I rarely visit RV Forums anymore, a bunch of number crunchers telling everyone that doesn't own a one ton truck or larger that they've made a terrible mistake.

With the exception of mountain grades, where the engine and tranny would get a workout, his truck will be just fine.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #24

"This is the main reason I rarely visit RV Forums anymore, a bunch of number crunchers telling everyone that doesn't own a one ton truck or larger that they've made a terrible mistake.

With the exception of mountain grades, where the engine and tranny would get a workout, his truck will be just fine."
=============================================
now, now, Oakman, don't be so hard on us!
While I agree that the rude people, who make up numbers to prove they are always right, can turn people off, most of us are truly trying to help.
You are most definitely wrong about a Ram 1500 being "just fine" under all but mountainous conditions. Considering the fairly soft suspension under the Ram 1/2 tons, I would be more concerned about windy conditions, and how that might throw the truck around. That is a very unsettling feeling when the camper is making it feel like you have a rampaging bull in the box of the truck.
Being lightweights, these Campers are bigger than they are heavy, so the wind effects are noticable.
Under most conditions, it shouldn't be an issue. But like I said before, attention to those conditions, and associated care, are both required.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #25

Just for interest, I was talking to my buddy with the EcoBeast this morning, and he was reading off his info sheet that his payload is 3060 lbs! On a "half-ton"! It is fairly new yet, and as it gets broken in, he says the power keeps increasing. His fifth is a bit lighter than mine, but that Ford just pulls it like nothing, and with the stiffer rear suspension, it handles the camper like nothing.

With the availability of the EcoBeast, I have to wonder why people are buying Dodge's for pulling campers that really are pushing the limits. The Ford will get just as good gas milage when empty, will outpull the hemi, and the truck is set up to pull. I know the Dodges are cheaper, and prettier (I own one), but would it not be worth spending a few thousand more for a truck that will drive like a car and yet pull the camper without effort?
Just askin.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #26

Numbers are just numbers and are always published by the manufacturers of these trucks. I'm willing to bet that a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 is just as capable as a 15 year old 3/4 ton Ford, Chevy or Dodge for towing. Come on now, don't you think that all the pounding on an older truck compromises it's towing capacity and may even downgrade it's capabilities after all these years. The champions of the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are pushing the limits of their trucks as much as I do with my 1/2 ton. I've sung this chorus before and I sing it again. The single biggest contributor to towing capability is the abilities of the driver. A lot of these guys shouldn't be driving a corolla, let alone a 2 ton truck with a 5 ton camper. There are just a few rolling hills here in Atlantic Canada, but I have travelled them with relative ease. Geeze, I've even travelled through the White Mountains of New Hampshire this past summer. Transmission temp didn't budge and with those big 4 wheel disc brakes on my Dodge, stopping wasn't an issue. Drive safe, arrive alive.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #27
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

crocus ,

in your opinion what would quantify the difference in actual truck weight that you would determine that wind would blow around a 1/2 ton and not so much a 3/4 ton ? the two trucks exactly the same with options and equipment would be very very similiar in "weight" 1/2 ton versus 3/4 would be heavier axles and more "spring" for payload . could the difference be more than 1,000 lbs ?

keep in mind that a vehicle manufacture can raise the payload limit by simply making the box taller . which is what ford did a few years back .
they raised the side of the box which in turned raised the payload XXXX amount .

now heres another scenario .

my 2005 3/4 ton has a tow weight rating of lets say 10,000 lbs 6.0 engine
a 2005 3/4 ton or 1 ton with a diesel has a tow rating of 16,000 .
same truck same suspension same tires same axles . only difference is the engine and trans .

so will i have a problem in the wind ?

while I do not disagree on what your saying I just have a different point of view . dont take it to heart .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #28

"I'm willing to bet that a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 is just as capable as a 15 year old 3/4 ton Ford, Chevy or Dodge for towing."
===================================
Well Rugged, I have to call your bluff on that one.
I own that "15 year old 3/4 ton Ford", and it is a TANK compared to my 2010 Ram 1500. Of course, the Ford rides like a tank too.
But I know I would not feel half as safe pulling my fifth with my Dodge as I do with the old Ford.
And "all the pounding" on the old truck has not had any effect on its towing capabilities whatsoever.
I think you are getting to be as silly as donn.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Numbers are just numbers and are always published by the manufacturers of these trucks. I'm willing to bet that a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 is just as capable as a 15 year old 3/4 ton Ford, Chevy or Dodge for towing. Come on now, don't you think that all the pounding on an older truck compromises it's towing capacity and may even downgrade it's capabilities after all these years. The champions of the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are pushing the limits of their trucks as much as I do with my 1/2 ton. I've sung this chorus before and I sing it again. The single biggest contributor to towing capability is the abilities of the driver. A lot of these guys shouldn't be driving a corolla, let alone a 2 ton truck with a 5 ton camper. There are just a few rolling hills here in Atlantic Canada, but I have travelled them with relative ease. Geeze, I've even travelled through the White Mountains of New Hampshire this past summer. Transmission temp didn't budge and with those big 4 wheel disc brakes on my Dodge, stopping wasn't an issue. Drive safe, arrive alive.

true rugged !

never thought about a 10 or 15 year old tow vehicle having diminished capacity "stress" "wore out" good opinion .
ten years old is still an 2001 and i see a ton "pardon the pun" of them pulling campers .
Old 11-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
Just for interest, I was talking to my buddy with the EcoBeast this morning, and he was reading off his info sheet that his payload is 3060 lbs! On a "half-ton"! It is fairly new yet, and as it gets broken in, he says the power keeps increasing. His fifth is a bit lighter than mine, but that Ford just pulls it like nothing, and with the stiffer rear suspension, it handles the camper like nothing.

With the availability of the EcoBeast, I have to wonder why people are buying Dodge's for pulling campers that really are pushing the limits. The Ford will get just as good gas milage when empty, will outpull the hemi, and the truck is set up to pull. I know the Dodges are cheaper, and prettier (I own one), but would it not be worth spending a few thousand more for a truck that will drive like a car and yet pull the camper without effort?
Just askin.

I may have hijacked the thread with this comment but:

Other than the Ecoboost, are there any other differences with the last generation F150. I haven't found any. The Ecoboost is only giving you the same or near about same power as a Hemi V8. The jury is still out on whether you get better gas mileage. The ride is stiffer, doesn't look near as nice as the dodge and is more expensive. I'm not sold yet.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 11-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #31

f1100, all I am saying is that the suspension in a Ram 1500 is fairly soft, and that allows the truck to be pushed around more than one with a stiffer suspension. Remember, I own a Ram 1500, so I am not just guessing.
Now, consider the EcoBeast 1/2 ton, with a payload capacity in excess of 3000 lbs. Do you not think that would handle the load better than an identicle truck without the heavy towing package, and a payload capacity of 1500 lbs?
Old 11-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #32

" The Ecoboost is only giving you the same or near about same power as a Hemi V8."
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
that is pretty funny.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #33

Quote:
"I'm willing to bet that a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 is just as capable as a 15 year old 3/4 ton Ford, Chevy or Dodge for towing."
===================================
I think you are getting to be as silly as donn.

Crocus: If you can't attack the facts, attack the person. Is that your mantra? Come on, lets be men here and discuss the issue at hand.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 11-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
" The Ecoboost is only giving you the same or near about same power as a Hemi V8."
that is pretty funny.

yes i chuckled to

there both almost as close in power to a 6.0 liter chevy . sorry
Old 11-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
yes i chuckled to

there both almost as close in power to a 6.0 liter chevy . sorry

Stand to be corrected.. So, the ecoboost is not as powerful as the HEMI?
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 11-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #36

Supposedly.. The ecoboost will get 22-25 mpg. when NOT towing.. And probably with a 3.31 rear gear ratio.. NOT What we would want for towing.. I would like to know what kind of true Mileage people are getting with a 3.73 or 4.10 rear axel ratio ??
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #37

Quote:
that is pretty funny.
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post

Children: I'm not seeing any evidence to back your laughter. The emoticons are great, but they don't tell me anything.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 11-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspoe View Post
I am waiting on the delivery of my 2012 8288WS (Diamond Package) and recently bought a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4 to pull it. It has the full tow package and I am planning on having the RV dealer install the hitch. Any special tips on this combo by those experienced RVers out there would be much appreciated.

Marshall
Marshall,

to Forest River Forums and congratulations on your new purchase. I can't help you on your combo, but it looks like the guys have already covered it.

And, you might want to know that not all of your posts will result in a four-page argument ... usually

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:05 PM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
Supposedly.. The ecoboost will get 22-25 mpg. when NOT towing.. And probably with a 3.31 rear gear ratio.. NOT What we would want for towing.. I would like to know what kind of true Mileage people are getting with a 3.73 or 4.10 rear axel ratio ??

6.0 liter 410 gear 9 Mpg towing 13 to 14 otherwise

Tags
5er