Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2017, 04:43 PM   #1

New A212hw owner - need advice on Champion 3500

I just bought a A212hw A-Frame and want to use it for cold camping and desert camping for the summer in Az and like boondocking.
The camper has an ac with heat pump & also a heater.

What are your thoughts on the Champion dual fuel 3500 inverter generator? I was thinking of 2 honda 2000s but they're not dual fuel.

I want dual fuel since I like the versatilty of using gas or propane (plus I have 2 propane tanks).
AZ Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:07 PM   #2

Honda’s for the Win !
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:40 PM   #3

The Champion 3500 is a an excellent generator and the price is not out to lunch like that the of Honda.

You can check out the reviews here.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package
Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:49 PM   #4

The Champion is a great generator and I would buy it over 2 Hondas any day of the week and the money you save can be spent for other ugprades to your RV.

I'm sure it'll last as long as a Honda as long as oil changes are done regularly. I use 5w40 HDEO oil which has better soot suspension than a regular oil. I had about 2000 hours on my last China generator and compression was still like new at 120 psi which is what it was new.

The Champion's remote start feature is an incredible feature that I can no longer do without.

Buy it with confidence, Champion has a 3 year warranty but I don't think you'll need it.

Also, my Champion can run my 15k BTU air conditioner from eco-mode at 9,000 feet altitude (using a high altitude jet of course).
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
The Champion is a great generator and I would buy it over 2 Hondas any day of the week and the money you save can be spent for other ugprades to your RV.

I'm sure it'll last as long as a Honda as long as oil changes are done regularly. I use 5w40 HDEO oil which has better soot suspension than a regular oil. I had about 2000 hours on my last China generator and compression was still like new at 120 psi which is what it was new.

The Champion's remote start feature is an incredible feature that I can no longer do without.

Buy it with confidence, Champion has a 3 year warranty but I don't think you'll need it.

Also, my Champion can run my 15k BTU air conditioner from eco-mode at 9,000 feet altitude (using a high altitude jet of course).
Thanks for your reply. I'll be picking up my camper in a few days.
Also, the sales person told me the a/c & heatpump unit has 20k BTU, would the 3500 be able to handle this load as well?
you said this generator has a remote start, you're talking about a remote control feature or just electric start (which i knew from reviews)?
Old 10-08-2017, 11:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
The Champion 3500 is a an excellent generator and the price is not out to lunch like that the of Honda.

You can check out the reviews here.
You don't consider this unit too heavy?
Also, I noticed you have solar. How do you like it? I'm starting think about getting a 2 flex panel setup but need to price everything out.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:01 PM   #7
Site Team

I think a 3500w is overkill for an A-frame and its Cool Cat.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Camper View Post
You don't consider this unit too heavy?
Also, I noticed you have solar. How do you like it? I'm starting think about getting a 2 flex panel setup but need to price everything out.
I don't have the Champ 3500, but know a couple people that do.
The Champion 3500 is twice the weight of the Champ 2000, that is the reason I went with a pair of 2000's.
Solar is the greatest thing the world if you do a lot of boon docking or camp without hookups. I have had solar for 7 years and would not go without it now. I very seldom use my gennys except to run the microwave and AC on real hot days.
Have a look on Ebay for solar, you can get a decent 200 watt setup for under $400.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package
Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:15 PM   #9
Too old to be too smart

You might want to consider getting more propane tanks if you're going dual-fuel. You'll go through fuel faster than you believe you will.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
You might want to consider getting more propane tanks if you're going dual-fuel. You'll go through fuel faster than you believe you will.

Pop
I already have 2 spare tanks plus the 2 that come with the camper.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I think a 3500w is overkill for an A-frame and its Cool Cat.
Well, the Cool Cat is a 10k BTU and furnace is 20k BTU was told that anything smaller may not work so well. The Forest River rep indicated that the 3500 would be a good size, unless I wanted to go with 2 smaller units.

Also, I was looking for duel fuel and it seems like the smaller gens don't have that option.

What would you recommend?
Old 10-08-2017, 03:49 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Well, the Cool Cat is a 10k BTU and furnace is 20k BTU was told that anything smaller may not work so well. The Forest River rep indicated that the 3500 would be a good size, unless I wanted to go with 2 smaller units.

Also, I was looking for duel fuel and it seems like the smaller gens don't have that option.

What would you recommend?
The beauty of the Cool Cat is that many can run it on it on a 2000w inverter generator.
Don't know why you mention the furnace since it runs on 12v battery power, not 110v AC.

The 3500w Champion weighs over 100lbs.
I'd prefer a 2000w 50lb inverter generator since your Cool Cat doesn't need a bigger generator.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 04:42 PM   #13
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
...The Champion's remote start feature is an incredible feature that I can no longer do without.
No remote start for Dual Fuel.
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:05 PM   #14

I had a Yamaha 2000w generator already and instead of buying a second I went with the champion. My reasons were
I can still lift it and it is 1 generator.
Duel fuel so I don't need gas
Have not confirmed but I don't believe you need to rejet for propane.
When I upgrade to a 50A trailer I can have 2.
It was not as quiet but close to the Yamaha and Honda I have had it running next to on the same load. Note that all are loud and quiet is a comparative term.

DW won't camp in summe without a.c. in midwest.

I hook to the trailer propane quick connect by removing the regulator.

Went through a 20lb bottle in 12.5hrs running a.c. and tv on 95 degree day. 14.5 hours on 5gallons of gas.

To each his own and best of luck!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:17 PM   #15

1. A 2000 watt inverter genny is just enough to run the Cool Cat, but when it is on Economy mode it may struggle to re-start the Cool Cat if it cycles the compressor too quickly. You may need to run the genny with econ set to "Off"

2. You may not have enough reserve power to run the genny at high altitudes or on LPG.

3. The 2000 watt gennies only hold about 1 gallon of fuel. The 3000 and 3500 watt units usually hold about 4 gallons, so you won't run out of gasoline during the night.

Because I already owned it, I use a Honda EU3000is. It weighs 130 lbs empty, so I have to load it onto the camper with a winch. I built a platform for it where the LP tanks usually go, and carry the tanks inside the front storage area. When I need propane for hot water or heat I just pull out a tank and sit it on the ground.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The beauty of the Cool Cat is that many can run it on it on a 2000w inverter generator.
Don't know why you mention the furnace since it runs on 12v battery power, not 110v AC.

The 3500w Champion weighs over 100lbs.
I'd prefer a 2000w 50lb inverter generator since your Cool Cat doesn't need a bigger generator.
I was just giving you the specs and the furnace also works on electric from what I understand (I'll need to ck that out further).
I prefer to have the option of gas or propane & haven't been able to find dual fuel inverter gens at the 2000 watt size. Do you know of any?
Also, weight doesn't bother me - it's actually a good deterrent. Who wants to steal a 100 lb generator?
Old 10-08-2017, 08:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
1. A 2000 watt inverter genny is just enough to run the Cool Cat, but when it is on Economy mode it may struggle to re-start the Cool Cat if it cycles the compressor too quickly. You may need to run the genny with econ set to "Off"

2. You may not have enough reserve power to run the genny at high altitudes or on LPG.

3. The 2000 watt gennies only hold about 1 gallon of fuel. The 3000 and 3500 watt units usually hold about 4 gallons, so you won't run out of gasoline during the night.

Because I already owned it, I use a Honda EU3000is. It weighs 130 lbs empty, so I have to load it onto the camper with a winch. I built a platform for it where the LP tanks usually go, and carry the tanks inside the front storage area. When I need propane for hot water or heat I just pull out a tank and sit it on the ground.

I'm usually camping at 7500 - 8000 ft and did hear that the altitude does effect performance.
So, you're saying that even the 3500 may struggle running propane at high altutudes?
Old 10-08-2017, 08:34 PM   #18

Quote:

My champion only has a 1.6gal tank...I have the 3400 duel fuel. You can add an aux tank with either a modification to use either that or on board tank (includes a fuel pump lines etc and fits under cover), or gravity fed boat tank that you need to leave higher than the generator.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:39 PM   #19

Quote:
I'm usually camping at 7500 - 8000 ft and did hear that the altitude does effect performance.
So, you're saying that even the 3500 may struggle running propane at high altutudes?
I was speaking of the 2000 watt category. I am quite sure that the 3000 or 3500 watt units have enough reserve power to handle both high altitude and propane de-rating. Honda recommends rejetting the carb. at over 6K feet. I don't know about propane regulators. You might be able to rejet and run the gasoline system at altitude, and leave the propane alone and run it a lower altitudes. That could make a very versatile system.

The small (1.6 gal) gasoline tank on the Champion makes the LP option look good if you want an all-night run.

The Propane Space Heater uses 12 volts only (no 120 volt AC) to run its fan. A 75 amp. hour group 24 battery will give you enough power to run overnight as long as the battery is fully charged before you shut off the genny.

Be aware that the WFCO Converter/Charger supplied from the factory DOES NOT FULLY CHARGE THE BATTERY unless left powered for about 12 hours. For a full charge in less time, a standard automotive charger is a great idea.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:37 PM   #20

Quote:
I was speaking of the 2000 watt category. I am quite sure that the 3000 or 3500 watt units have enough reserve power to handle both high altitude and propane de-rating. Honda recommends rejetting the carb. at over 6K feet. I don't know about propane regulators. You might be able to rejet and run the gasoline system at altitude, and leave the propane alone and run it a lower altitudes. That could make a very versatile system.

The small (1.6 gal) gasoline tank on the Champion makes the LP option look good if you want an all-night run.

The Propane Space Heater uses 12 volts only (no 120 volt AC) to run its fan. A 75 amp. hour group 24 battery will give you enough power to run overnight as long as the battery is fully charged before you shut off the genny.

Be aware that the WFCO Converter/Charger supplied from the factory DOES NOT FULLY CHARGE THE BATTERY unless left powered for about 12 hours. For a full charge in less time, a standard automotive charger is a great idea.
Pardon my ignorance...."rejetting"?
Ya, I know the battery isn't even connected. They recommend a 5 hr run at the beginning & change the oil the battery can be charged during this run.
The camper I have has a furnace and I thought I was told it uses either battery or electricity. Cool Cat has heat pump so I can use 2 sources if needed.
I'll probably try to rent the genny i am interested in 1st and then buy. It's hard to find a physical Champion 3500 in the store, everything's all online.

Tags
3500, 500