Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 02:39 PM   #21
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAcamper29 View Post
So I just got off the phone with the dealer. He confirmed that they never double checked the vin number when they did the registration. The camper that is sitting in the other families driveway is indeed NOT registered. This is why they have to do the swap. He did mention that they are getting another 26DBH-L in a few weeks and that I am welcome to have that one instead of the one that I was scheduled to pick up.
There you go.
You have all kinds of options now.

All this talk about lawyers and major screw ups is nonsense.

Mistakes are made. Those that make them don't always have to be held accountable/rectified by lawsuits.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
Old 01-08-2021, 03:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
There you go.

Mistakes are made. Those that make them don't always have to be held accountable/rectified by lawsuits.

X2
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Old 01-08-2021, 03:24 PM   #23

Quote:
There you go.

Unfortunately, it's the way the country is right now....
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
Old 01-08-2021, 03:50 PM   #24

Exclamation Take the new TT that is coming shortly

Although you would have to wait for this newer trailer to be delivered and I've been there and know what a pain it is, no matter how you look at it, you would be getting a used trailer. You can't be sure what's happened with the financing, modifications, registration or anything. Dealerships are still in a feeding frenzy selling trailers like crazy and many of them have let their preparation of the units and the paperwork fall into the gutter. Better to error on the side of caution and wait a little longer and make sure things are done right.

Having said that, I personally feel that the dealer owes you some compensation for their disappointing service.

Paul & Sherida Hodel and Coco Chanel, the Chocolate Cockapoo and the family's prized possession!
New TT: 2021 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2608BS, 570 watts of solar + 300 AH of Battle Borne lithium batteries.
TV: 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500
Old 01-08-2021, 03:50 PM   #25

Quote:
There you go.

X2. Just make a choice and enjoy it. No need in getting all worked up. Life is too short.
Andersen hitch
Old 01-08-2021, 03:54 PM   #26

I'd tell him you'll take the new one unless he can give you a little something extra off the "used" one.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
Old 01-08-2021, 04:00 PM   #27

If you don't need the camper immediately, I'd wait for the one they will get in a few weeks. You bought a new camper and you should get one.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:04 PM   #28

Never ceases to amaze me why people think they need to be compensated for an honest mistake that did not cause a real problem.
It is so unfortunate what society has evolved into.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:11 PM   #29
Site Team

From a long term perspective, I would tell them you want to do a full inspection of the returned trailer. If it is OK and it most likely will be then you should take it. By the middle of the camping season it will make no difference. There is no guarantee that the one that shows up in a few weeks will be better. Your ultimate goal should be to get the RV you want, get through the process and start enjoying it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 01-08-2021, 04:14 PM   #30
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexasRVr View Post
Your dealer is in breach of your contract. I would demand at least 3K off the price. Not a credit. If no go, find another dealer. People need to start taking responsibility for their idiotic mistakes. It's not your mistake that some idiot can't read numbers.
With campers in short supply, I am sure the dealer can sell it if the purchaser decides he doesn’t want it. I would be very surprised if you have gone through your whole life without making a mistake. The dealer did take responsibility for it and is in the process of correcting it.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:26 PM   #31

Trust no one....especially the dealer, no matter how sorry he sounded. Gee, why would I say that.....Get the new one and then you won't have doubts.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Old 01-08-2021, 04:52 PM   #32

Your choice, the one you were promised, or the yet undelivered one. My only advise, in addition to what others have mentioned, is if you take the one promised and do the inspections, make sure the roof is gone over with a fine-tooth comb. It's easy to run under a tree and not notice it scraped across the roof.

As others have said, this sounds like an honest mistake so I would quell all thoughts of lawyers or huge discounts. A 2nd battery or something similar doesn't sound like a far-fetched request.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Old 01-08-2021, 05:05 PM   #33

Mix-Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
If you don't need the camper immediately, I'd wait for the one they will get in a few weeks. You bought a new camper and you should get one.

I agree. Wait for the new one.

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax
Old 01-08-2021, 05:32 PM   #34

I'm in the wait for the new delivery camp right now. That's assuming it meets your criteria and inspection.

Not sure where you live or where the trailer was built but these 99% come on their own wheels and the extra 500 round trip to the wrong owner may not be significant.

-- Chuck
Old 01-08-2021, 06:59 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
I'd tell him you'll take the new one unless he can give you a little something extra off the "used" one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splashes3 View Post
Trust no one....especially the dealer, no matter how sorry he sounded. Gee, why would I say that.....Get the new one and then you won't have doubts.

I must agree with both camaraderie & Splashes3 . Compensation on a new, now used one, then trouble down the road or settle for new RV at original negotiated price. Guess that is a no brainer.

Good Luck
Old 01-08-2021, 07:39 PM   #36

Technically it's not used until titled.

Waiting for one yet to be delivered is no assurance it will be any better than the one in question.

May even be worse as the one returned will have been subject to far more scrutiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN9XL View Post
I must agree with both camaraderie & Splashes3 . Compensation on a new, now used one, then trouble down the road or settle for new RV at original negotiated price. Guess that is a no brainer.

Good Luck

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 01-08-2021, 08:38 PM   #37

Legal Terminology here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexasRVr View Post
Your dealer is in breach of your contract. I would demand at least 3K off the price....

NorthTexasRVr be sensible. How much "damage has been suffered because of the error"?Breach??? perhaps. The breach being a dely in the "expected date of delivery." Are you going to sue because of a slight loss use because of delays of delivery caused by the lack of material availability up the supply chain???

AC's are in short supply, trailers are sitting in the lot's of the manufacturer waiting for them to come in after which the manufacturer has to "work in" the trailers for completion. Who you going to sue for that delay???

In the court of law a judge has to determine the "total damage" in dollar amount and make the plaintiff "whole." Did PAcamper29 suffer a loss of $3000.00? Hardly. Then throw a temper tantrum and walk away if you don't get your way. In that scenario if I were the dealer I would show you the door.

NorthTexasRVr, Ask yourself .... you never came home from the store with the incorrect item that YOU picked out? What occurred to PAcamper29 was an honest mistake, it was not done with intent to "defraud." The dealer realized the error and notified the customer prior to the customer coming to PU the trailer. The dealer made every attempt to make the customer "whole" according to the contract. That's all the customer is due. $3000.00 for punitive damages, I like your joke.

Richard in Milwaukee
Old 01-08-2021, 08:51 PM   #38

I'm missing something here, either because of my state (NY) or maybe my normal state of confusion due to advancing age. But here my dealer operates like a mini DMV and issued me plates and a temporary title (later replaced by a regular title issued by NY).
Sounds as though the OP is in Pennsylvania so maybe things are different. But does PA let you pull an RV without a plate dedicated to that RV? Also, if the camper had been in an accident while being pulled to that home, if its damaged while sitting there or in transit back to the dealer, whose loss is it? I.e., who right now owns this camper?
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
Old 01-08-2021, 09:10 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYCamper View Post
I'm missing something here, either because of my state (NY) or maybe my normal state of confusion due to advancing age. But here my dealer operates like a mini DMV and issued me plates and a temporary title (later replaced by a regular title issued by NY).
Sounds as though the OP is in Pennsylvania so maybe things are different. But does PA let you pull an RV without a plate dedicated to that RV? Also, if the camper had been in an accident while being pulled to that home, if its damaged while sitting there or in transit back to the dealer, whose loss is it? I.e., who right now owns this camper?
No they do not. The plate is registered to the VIN#.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:31 PM   #40

But the Vin# needs a name to become official when submitting to the DMV.
Closed Thread

Tags
accident, camper