Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 07:54 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAcamper29 View Post
Hi everyone!
We recently purchased a new Alpha Wolf 26dbh-l. We were scheduled to pick it up tomorrow, however, I just received a call from the dealership stating I can't get it tomorrow because they accidentally sent it home with the wrong family last week and they are in the process of getting it back.

The dealership had 2 on their lot. One vin number ended in "24" the other ended in "42". We purchased "42". When they went to prep the other TT they accidentally pulled "42". The other owner has now towed it ~250 miles to their home and state that they haven't done anything and it's just been sitting in their driveway. The dealer is planning on going out there to pick it up and return it to their facility and then hand it over to us.

I'm just not sure how to feel about that. I feel like I am now getting a used trailer. Am I over-reacting? What would you do?
Be sure to talk to a lawyer first before going back to the dealer. That unit is now used and the registration is all screwed up.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:56 PM   #102

Having never been registered the trailer is, by legal definition, new.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:57 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhairdzinr View Post
If the dealer is willing to compensate you then ok maybe an additional warranty, membership to thousand trails,?
I would not make a membership to thousand trails the freebee, you should have gotten one anyway, TT has been giving them out with every RV for years. I got a free 30 night in 2000. I got a free 1 year in 2019. its how they sell memberships
Old 01-14-2021, 07:57 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAcamper29 View Post
Hi everyone!
We recently purchased a new Alpha Wolf 26dbh-l. We were scheduled to pick it up tomorrow, however, I just received a call from the dealership stating I can't get it tomorrow because they accidentally sent it home with the wrong family last week and they are in the process of getting it back.

The dealership had 2 on their lot. One vin number ended in "24" the other ended in "42". We purchased "42". When they went to prep the other TT they accidentally pulled "42". The other owner has now towed it ~250 miles to their home and state that they haven't done anything and it's just been sitting in their driveway. The dealer is planning on going out there to pick it up and return it to their facility and then hand it over to us.

I'm just not sure how to feel about that. I feel like I am now getting a used trailer. Am I over-reacting? What would you do?
Sorry to hear..... but nobody is hurt, just some disappointment. Stuff happens.

250 miles is nothing on a trailer. All the trailers that are delivered from Indian to Campbell River BC Canada, has 2400+ miles on them when they get here.

If the dealer is reputable and is looking for repeated business, they will give you some kind of credit

Be well, be safe

My RV Cookbook now on Amazon! USA or Canada
Travel Blog
Cooking Blog
Old 01-14-2021, 08:00 PM   #105

I think the dealer registered it in the other peoples names.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:02 PM   #106

I think I'd be reasonable with the Dealer. Doesn't seem to be any problems for them moving TT's if the news reports are any indication.

Push the Dealer too far, or threaten with a lawyer, and he may just write a refund check then show you the door.

Like Chris said, hasn't been registered so it's still new.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
Old 01-14-2021, 08:08 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingmom65 View Post
I think the dealer registered it in the other peoples names.
My understanding is the VIN intended for the OP was never registered. That trailer was sent with the other buyer but the state DOT doesn't know that.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:18 PM   #108

That doesnít seem right

I know how you feel donít feel like you have to still except the trailer I would tell them I want another trailer from the manufacture I wouldnít except that trailer if you do they should give you a major discount you know how that works as soon as you pull it off the lot thatís the price they should takeoff the top
Old 01-14-2021, 08:41 PM   #109

"I'm just not sure how to feel about that. I feel like I am now getting a used trailer. Am I over-reacting? What would you do?"

You can:
- get angry or not.
- walk away or not
- ask for extras from the dealer, or not
No one can answer this for you. YOU are the only one who'll know how you feel about it a week/month/??? down the road.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:43 PM   #110

I would take the offer and get the new one coming in. Why should you be concern if something goes wrong, when you should be enjoying the camping life with the family. Not to be an alarmist, with the current pandemic going the way it is, I wouldn't take any chances of getting into an TT that other's you don't know have been in it and not knowing if they are COVID negative. Shame on the dealership for not double checking paper work, VIN, and registration. Their error should not be your concern. Be well and safe out there and enjoy camping life.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:53 PM   #111

I'd be more than pleased to take the one that got towed 250 miles and didn't fall apart

Thank of it as a great road test
Old 01-14-2021, 08:53 PM   #112

In one sense I would hold the dealer accountable. At least ask for a discount or some free stuff, On the other hand itís not a big deal. I mean if the couple just towed it home and havenít used it, I doubt there is anything wrong with it. Just get anything in writing.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:07 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by mflugel View Post
Since it's the middle of winter, just wait a couple of weeks and get the brand spanking new one that is being delivered to the dealer

That’s the best advice. If you have not scheduled a trip for the foreseeable future, why not wait for the new unit coming in a couple of weeks? It will solve any return travel issues, any possibility your unit may have been damaged, any registration problems that may crop up in the near future, and those nagging “why did I accept that unit back from the wrong owner,” thoughts that are sure to creep into your head sometime down the road!
But it is your decision to make.... I’m sure you will use the advice you received here to make the most comfortable decision for you and your family.
Good luck, and I hope we bump into one another someplace, so we can discuss your final choice!
Happy camping!
Old 01-14-2021, 09:36 PM   #114
A Mile High & a Mile Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Just be thankful the dealer isnít in charge of delivering babies!
. . . I don't know about you but there've been several times when I wished my kids had been switched at birth . . . (this CAN'T be my natural offspring!)
Old 01-14-2021, 09:44 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by toslow View Post
I'd be more than pleased to take the one that got towed 250 miles and didn't fall apart

Thank of it as a great road test
Ha! Brilliant - I love it!

This has been an insightful thread. Put me in the camp of those who can't quite figure out what the fuss is all about. A mistake was made and is being rectified. In the grand scheme of things, this is a gnat.

And someone was worried that somebody else might have used the toilet?? What, thereby rendering said toilet unfit for anyone else to use? - Sheesh.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:46 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
There you go.
You have all kinds of options now.

All this talk about lawyers and major screw ups is nonsense.

Mistakes are made. Those that make them don't always have to be held accountable/rectified by lawsuits.

I agree 100%.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:23 PM   #117

IMHO that is now a used trailer. And like any used product you have no idea what has happened to it since it left the dealer's lot. Even though The accidental owner says he's done nothing to it, I would not rely on his statement. I recently left Southern California and know what can happen in 500 miles on those poorly maintained highways. Don't know what the roads that camper went over. Usually nothing, sometimes something not good. So it's fine to accept the trailer but negotiate for a used trailer price or cancel
Old 01-14-2021, 11:59 PM   #118

Hummmm seems a bit strange to me.

Could have been worse - The Trailer I bought had a folding ladder on the side to access the roof. The Trailer I picked up and drove home didn't. I guessing a bate and switch in my case, shame on me for not doing the due diligence when I picked my trailer up. Love the trailer but...
$600.00 for the ladder I thought was included.

I would definitely ask for some compensation.

2016 Sandstorm
Old 01-15-2021, 02:46 AM   #119

I would ask to be there when the unit returns to the lot and look it over. Any scratches or dings, animal hairs, cigarette smell, labels pulled off, etc would be deal breakers for me. I wish it was easier to take people at their word but the truth is you have no idea what the unit did while the other people say it was in their driveway.

That said, the unit is under warranty and was already pulled to the dealer once before and probably by someone that didn't care if he dodged the potholes or not. So it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. I say look it over and then decide, but if not in any rush to use it you could wait just for that extra piece of mind.
Old 01-15-2021, 04:16 AM   #120

Been there done that

I purchased a new vehicle several years ago. All of a sudden i was getting fines for going through the turnpike without paying the tolls. I didn’t even know the area that they said i was driving. For two years i kept calling the DOT trying to figure out what was going on. Here the dealer had plates stick together and had the wrong in on my car! What a hassle. I’d get another one. Too much to deal with later. However, i never complained to the dealer. We are all human and make mistakes. This one is big. I’d find another one. And ask yo be compensated some goodies like the others mentioned above.
Closed Thread

Tags
accident, camper