Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 10:36 AM   #1

New camper accidentally sent home with wrong family!

Hi everyone!
We recently purchased a new Alpha Wolf 26dbh-l. We were scheduled to pick it up tomorrow, however, I just received a call from the dealership stating I can't get it tomorrow because they accidentally sent it home with the wrong family last week and they are in the process of getting it back.

The dealership had 2 on their lot. One vin number ended in "24" the other ended in "42". We purchased "42". When they went to prep the other TT they accidentally pulled "42". The other owner has now towed it ~250 miles to their home and state that they haven't done anything and it's just been sitting in their driveway. The dealer is planning on going out there to pick it up and return it to their facility and then hand it over to us.

I'm just not sure how to feel about that. I feel like I am now getting a used trailer. Am I over-reacting? What would you do?
Old 01-08-2021, 10:42 AM   #2

I wouldn't worry so much about the 250 miles. I've taken delivery of several vehicles over the years that have been driven from Dealerships in towns up to 350 miles away and never an isssue.

I would just insist on a thorough inspection of the entire unit before you take delivery.

Perhaps you could leverage this mistake by the Dealer into some "extra's" like a second battery, or other interior accessories to make up for their error.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 01-08-2021, 10:54 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I wouldn't be concerned a bit if the facts are as you presented them.

250 miles is nothing. What if you lived 250 miles farther away from the dealer?

If the dealer is any kind of dealer, you'll now be getting a R/V that will have TWO PDI/Customer Orientations (one for the other family/one by you) so any issues should be noted.

Make sure YOU are satisfied and as mentioned, for the confusion, ask for something in return.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
Old 01-08-2021, 10:59 AM   #4
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

X2 IF they hadn't done anything or used it in any way.
Suggest having the dealer put something in writing that this happened and cover anything that may be attributed to their mistake.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 01-08-2021, 11:29 AM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Just be thankful the dealer isn’t in charge of delivering babies!

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
Old 01-08-2021, 11:41 AM   #6
Texas RVr

Your dealer is in breach of your contract. I would demand at least 3K off the price. Not a credit. If no go, find another dealer. People need to start taking responsibility for their idiotic mistakes. It's not your mistake that some idiot can't read numbers.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:46 AM   #7

This is your opportunity to ask for some compensation. You can ask for money or a discount on the RV, but the dealer is unlikely to give without a fight. You might have better luck with getting X number of dollars in accessories or supplies for free. Whatever you do, don't accept free "service" as compensation. Would you want this dealer servicing your RV?

If you aren't totally in love with this particular RV, demand a full refund and go find another one. You agreed to purchase this unit in the condition you found it on the lot, but it is no longer in that same condition.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:01 PM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

I’d want BehindBars representing me.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
Old 01-08-2021, 12:27 PM   #9
Senior Member - Retired

To clarify, was the VIN on the paperwork the buyer signed the VIN for the trailer they wanted or the one you wanted? I cannot imagine purchasing any type of vehicle, trailer, etc., and not checking the VIN against the VIN on the paperwork. If they signed paperwork with your VIN you may have a mess on your hands, if the dealer has already submitted registration paperwork to your state Department of Motor Vehicles. in CA, trailers and boats are registered with CA DMV when sold. If already registered it may have to be reregistered as used, rather than new, making you the second owner. If the person who signed the paperwork the trailer actually went to did not pay cash, paperwork was submitted to the loan company who are now the legal owners.
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
Old 01-08-2021, 12:31 PM   #10
Site Team

Get a letter from the dealer explaining what happened. This may be helpful when you go to sell to prove you are the original owner. I would not be too concerned about damage as more than likely the other family took good care of it thinking it was theirs. If there is an option you would like ( ie second battery) I would ask for it at PDI to compensate you for the screw up.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 01-08-2021, 12:35 PM   #11
Senior Member - Retired

As bad as COVID-19 is here in Southern California, give some thought as to how it is where the trailer was delivered and decide whether or not you need to have deep cleaning done before you take possession.
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
Old 01-08-2021, 12:40 PM   #12
Texas RVr

You have a mess... You should consult with a lawyer immediately before you take possession. That trailer has already depreciated at least 15% of it's value when it left the dealers lot. Therefore you need to be compensated for any and all damaged from the tort feasor.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Fisherman View Post
To clarify, was the VIN on the paperwork the buyer signed the VIN for the trailer they wanted or the one you wanted? I cannot imagine purchasing any type of vehicle, trailer, etc., and not checking the VIN against the VIN on the paperwork. If they signed paperwork with your VIN you may have a mess on your hands, if the dealer has already submitted registration paperwork to your state Department of Motor Vehicles. in CA, trailers and boats are registered with CA DMV when sold. If already registered it may have to be reregistered as used, rather than new, making you the second owner. If the person who signed the paperwork the trailer actually went to did not pay cash, paperwork was submitted to the loan company who are now the legal owners.
These are all good questions that I do not have the answers for. I can't imagine that the dealer wouldn't double check the vin when they are doing the registration paperwork.
You can be sure that I will follow up on this. Especially since the dealer told me at the original visit that RV warranties are not transferable.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:42 PM   #14

Is there a difference between the two trailers? Is the other one available now? Our dealer had 2 exact trailers on the lot when we bought ours last year and he almost delivered the wrong VIN. We caught it, but we would have taken either one as they were identical. But we needed to make sure the registration was correct as that would have been a mess to unravel later.
1200W solar > 412 Ah LiFePO4 > Victron MultiPlus II > Cerbo GX
Old 01-08-2021, 12:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Is there a difference between the two trailers? Is the other one available now? Our dealer had 2 exact trailers on the lot when we bought ours last year and he almost delivered the wrong VIN. We caught it, but we would have taken either one as they were identical. But we needed to make sure the registration was correct as that would have been a mess to unravel later.
I believe both trailers were identical. Definitely the same model. I reached out to the dealer to ask him which Vin was registered. I believe they registered the right vin and delivered the wrong camper (trying to confirm now) since they said that they had to go get it from the other owner.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:59 PM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAcamper29 View Post
I believe both trailers were identical. Definitely the same model. I reached out to the dealer to ask him which Vin was registered. I believe they registered the right vin and delivered the wrong camper (trying to confirm now) since they said that they had to go get it from the other owner.
This is just me, but as long as the RV warranty and licensing/registration mess is dealt with appropriately, I wouldn't ask for anything special from the dealer.

This sucks right now but one day you'll be looking back on this telling the story around a campfire.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexasRVr View Post
You have a mess... You should consult with a lawyer immediately before you take possession. That trailer has already depreciated at least 15% of it's value when it left the dealers lot. Therefore you need to be compensated for any and all damaged from the tort feasor.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
Old 01-08-2021, 01:02 PM   #18

I've bought two trailers long distance and I always do a VIN check as soon as I get there to pick it up. I also do a VIN check anytime I buy a new vehicle. When I bought my 2016 Silverado it was from a TV commercial. I paused my TV and took a picture of the commercial, which included the VIN. The commercial showed a black truck, but the VIN was for a white truck. I wasn't able to drive the truck home the day I went to the dealer because the manager was gone for the day and I wanted the full $15,000 off the factory sticker that was advertised. I went back the next day, got the full $15,000 discount and checked the VIN one more time. Always check the VIN on anything that is registered with DMV!
Old 01-08-2021, 01:47 PM   #19

So I just got off the phone with the dealer. He confirmed that they never double checked the vin number when they did the registration. The camper that is sitting in the other families driveway is indeed NOT registered. This is why they have to do the swap. He did mention that they are getting another 26DBH-L in a few weeks and that I am welcome to have that one instead of the one that I was scheduled to pick up.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAcamper29 View Post
So I just got off the phone with the dealer. He confirmed that they never double checked the vin number when they did the registration. The camper that is sitting in the other families driveway is indeed NOT registered. This is why they have to do the swap. He did mention that they are getting another 26DBH-L in a few weeks and that I am welcome to have that one instead of the one that I was scheduled to pick up.
The fact that it has not been registered is good I think. It won’t show you as the second owner-making the unit appear to be used when you take delivery.

I’d certainly double check the validity of their claim though. An understandable mistake to make but still not something I’d want to take the chance of getting shafted with either.
Closed Thread

Tags
accident, camper