Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2017, 12:48 PM   #1

New Camper Delivery?

After e-mailing the dealer we found out that our Salem 272RL Hemisphere Lite come off of the production line on April 3. At first we were told that it would be 7 to 10 days to delivery. Got the word today that the transport companies are way behind. Now we are talking 3 to 4 weeks for delivery. Has anyone else had this problem?
Going to cut it short for getting and restocking the new camper for memorial weekend camping. LOL
Might have to restock my old camper back up to go camping.
LarryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:35 PM   #2

Boy I hope not! We ordered a Grey Wolf mid Feb. and were told an April delivery. I emailed our dealer a couple weeks ago to make sure April was still a go so we could make reservations Memorial weekend. Being our first trailer we do NOT have a backup plan!!
ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:53 PM   #3

mine took 10 days but i live just over an hour from the factory. Ive heard there is a shortage of drivers another thread was claiming 4 weeks.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:58 PM   #4

Mine took almost 2 months after it came off the line in the fall of 2015
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCharger View Post
Boy I hope not! We ordered a Grey Wolf mid Feb. and were told an April delivery. I emailed our dealer a couple weeks ago to make sure April was still a go so we could make reservations Memorial weekend. Being our first trailer we do NOT have a backup plan!!
We ordered ours February 20th. Looks as if it might be sometime in May when we might get it?
Old 04-13-2017, 06:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryS View Post
We ordered ours February 20th. Looks as if it might be sometime in May when we might get it?
I ordered the 18th. I am gonna be bummed if we miss the Memorial weekend trip. We ordered instead of buying a unit off the lot since we were assured an April delivery. Had we known there could be a month delay we would have signed finance papers as soon as a PDI were done

Our 2nd PAID for trip is in August.....if it is not here by then I am asking for a refund of my $500 deposit!!
ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:20 AM   #7
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Looks like some job opportunities out there. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:26 AM   #8

Quote:
After e-mailing the dealer we found out that our Salem 272RL Hemisphere Lite come off of the production line on April 3. At first we were told that it would be 7 to 10 days to delivery. Got the word today that the transport companies are way behind. Now we are talking 3 to 4 weeks for delivery. Has anyone else had this problem?

Going to cut it short for getting and restocking the new camper for memorial weekend camping. LOL

Might have to restock my old camper back up to go camping.

ROADTRIP?????
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
ROADTRIP?????
LOL... Really I'm only about hour and forty five minutes from Elkhart west of me!! And then I'm about hour and a half from the dealer east of me. Right in the middle of both. Would be nice if we could go get it.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:19 AM   #10

I haul rv's for a living. Been doing it for the past 12 years. I haul strictly for 1 dealer. I have 3 trucks on the road steady and I can't keep up. Right now the manufacturers are trying to get 35 to 38 THOUSAND traolers a month out to dealers. The transport yards are overflowing. I hate to say this but don't be surprised if 5 weeks turns into 8. I would certainly talk to the dealer and see if you could pick it up yourself. You may still have to pay the freight but at least you would have it.
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
I haul rv's for a living. Been doing it for the past 12 years. I haul strictly for 1 dealer. I have 3 trucks on the road steady and I can't keep up. Right now the manufacturers are trying to get 35 to 38 THOUSAND traolers a month out to dealers. The transport yards are overflowing. I hate to say this but don't be surprised if 5 weeks turns into 8. I would certainly talk to the dealer and see if you could pick it up yourself. You may still have to pay the freight but at least you would have it.
O that's not good to hear.
Just a question? Why would I have to pay the freight if I picked it up?
Old 04-13-2017, 07:32 AM   #12

You don't know someone that has a truck suitable for towing it and a little common sense? If so, give them some cash and send them to get it. Highly preferable would be someone with some RV knowledge so they can look it over for you when they get there.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:54 AM   #13

Quote:
O that's not good to hear.
Just a question? Why would I have to pay the freight if I picked it up?
I'm just assuming. If you picked up from the factory you should be ok, but if it's in a transport company'syard they will want some money.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:02 AM   #14

Quote:
I'm just assuming. If you picked up from the factory you should be ok, but if it's in a transport company'syard they will want some money.
Thank you
Old 04-13-2017, 08:05 AM   #15

I haul lot's out of Rockwood (still a Forest River company) so I called dispatch for the heck of it. Customers are not allowed to pick up from the factory. If you have a good relationship with the dealer I tell them what you would like to do and go from there. The dealer knows when the trailer has left the factory. It's a bit of legwork for them so bribe them with pizza!
2011 Puma 295kbh
Old 04-13-2017, 09:08 AM   #16

Quote:
I haul lot's out of Rockwood (still a Forest River company) so I called dispatch for the heck of it. Customers are not allowed to pick up from the factory. If you have a good relationship with the dealer I tell them what you would like to do and go from there. The dealer knows when the trailer has left the factory. It's a bit of legwork for them so bribe them with pizza!
I think it would take more than pizza

As much as I would really like to go get it, these thoughts come to mind . The trailer is not titled, I would have no insurance to haul and I think as much as a good driver that I think I am with pulling a trailer, I feel the risk would be big if something would happen. I guess I will just have to wait for the dealer to get our trailer.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:22 AM   #17

Quote:

As much as I would really like to go get it, these thoughts come to mind . The trailer is not titled, I would have no insurance to haul and I think as much as a good driver that I think I am with pulling a trailer, I feel the risk would be big if something would happen. I guess I will just have to wait for the dealer to get our trailer.

I apparently missed the point about it being at the factory- I thought it was at the dealer and you were having it delivered but the dealer couldn't get a driver. The main reason they can't find drivers is that the pay is crap. Somewhere around 1.30 per loaded mile, I think. Most RV drivers don't have loads to haul back, so you're talking a true .65 per mile. Maybe someone has figured their total cost per mile, but I would be that by the time you calculate wear and tear, tires, insurance, costs of keeping a CDL and so on, it would cost you close to .30 per mile on average (loaded and unloaded). If you can make 500 miles a day you're talking $175 per day. If you stay on the road 250 days a year, you're making $43,750. So, you invest a lot of money for an expensive truck, live on the road 50 weeks x 5 days a year, jump through all types of stupid government regulations and subject yourself to all types of additional liability over what a regular driver does, for just above poverty level pay? And that's why you can't find enough drivers to deliver campers.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #18

Pay is better than you think
But, hey, if the customer is willing to pay more for freight I'm all in!
2011 Puma 295kbh
Old 04-13-2017, 09:50 AM   #19

Quote:

If the trailer is atthe transporters yard they will have the packet with everything you need to insure it
All you would need from the dealer is the bill of sale.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Pay is better than you think
But, hey, if the customer is willing to pay more for freight I'm all in!
Based on how far we are from factories and the delivery prices on dealer sheets, I don't think I'm far off on per mile pay. Maybe the factory foots part of the bill and what is shown on the MSRP sheets isn't the full story???

Tags
camper