Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2018, 10:47 AM   #41

you could even start out with only a few sites, limiting your up-front costs, and expand as the customer base grows. Nothing says you have to do everything at once. Add amenities as customers demand it, but limit everything to the 'basics' to get started - no need for cable tv or wifi... at least until you actually know it will pay off.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:04 AM   #42

NOt sure if you NEED this to make money, or it will be more of a hobby for you... I have always thought about the highly seasonal nature of this business... where you are you have to make your money from May to October and sustain the rest of the year.

Maybe make the "camp office" another business that is year-round... a small cafe maybe with full camping "out back"?

I know Sunbury/Delaware is a growing place just off the interstate there... what business is needed there?

Good luck

PS 15-16 years ago I helped a lady start a destination tourist place in rural KY... she had many problems from neighbors that wanted no development around them. It is not a campground but is on 35 acres, and is right next to a tributary of the Ohio River, a boat ramp and a state park campground 5 miles up the road. Take a look at the reviews here... perhaps you can learn something.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/janes-saddlebag-union

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:08 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
And, it is a 7 day a week 24 hour job during the season. No one camps in Ohio in the winter.
Depending on how close to a north/south expressway you are, I've noticed that there are very few campground in Ohio that are open in winter. There are still a reasonable number of folks on the move who would be interested in an overnight stop. Winter use would not have to cover all sites though.

The guy running RVtravel.com has been blogging about opening a series of low cost parks oriented to folks on the move - basically 1-2 day stay kind of places. You might want to get in contact with him...

Campgrounds I've liked for various reasons:
Clear Springs Campground (COE) Texarkana TX (great site size)
Lower White River RV Park Hazen AR (good for overnight or 2 night stay)
2 Rivers Campground Carrolton KY (FHU open all year)

A side note, current NEC code states electric hookups on RV's must be within 15 feet of the rear and to the left of the longitudinal center of the vehicle. Also, many rigs now have 3 or more waste tanks.

I've been to a few FHU parks where each site had multiple access ports to the sewer each about 10-15 feet apart. When staying more than a couple days, I have connected both of my ports for the duration of my stay - easier than having to move the hose back and forth. A pet peeve of mine - if you have FHU sites, the sewer connection should be at least 20 feet from the next door rig. Having a sewer access right next to you picnic table is a big turn-off.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:48 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
what if he put in some small cabins on the outer edge, add some heaters and ac? they would be year round, add some sled trails, hook them up to the state trail system and now you can have the snowmobilers coming in and staying with you! maybe see if you can double up your hiking trails with cross country trails too.
Great suggestion for a northern campground!

If I were going to build a campground I would try to have a section that is wooded for tents and pop-ups. It would need bathroom/shower areas that have privacy with separate shower/changing area with seat and hooks and good drainage. I do not like taking a shower in one that is four inches deep with water. Yuck!! Conditioned space is even better.

I would also have some set-aside pull through spaces just for folks to overnight while traveling on the highway if you are close to a highway and this need exists in your area. They don't have to unhook and can easily come in and leave the next morning without disturbing the more long-term or weekend campers.

Trees on every site is great, especially if your area is hot. I do not want an open site at all! They don't have to be exactly right next to the rig.

Wide sites with plenty of room or foliage between sites for a bit of privacy. I can't express that strongly enough.

Level sites - go with your local materials, which differ depending on where you are located.

There are many other great ideas on this forum thread. Good luck!!

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:04 AM   #45

We travel to places that have activities as we have young children, swimming, clean bath houses, laundry, store on site if possible. We hate seasonal places (They don't spend money at the campground and are rude people), spacious sites are great
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:15 AM   #46

I've known a couple people that went to work for a Cruise line...after taking a cruise...and thought..."This would be fun"...only to find out...this is all work and no fun. Same for a couple of my kids friends that went to work for Disney World....they thought..."This will be sooooo much fun !!" only to find out....this sucks. Give it some DEEP THOUGHT...before you dive in. It will be most likely a 24/7 job and your vacations will be...."Working at a campground." Just my thoughts....
Good luck on whatever you decide.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:32 AM   #47

If a campground is not located near a major city or in a 'tourist area' I have to wonder if it makes sense. We live on the WV side of the Ohio river not far from you I would guess and only two types of campground exist- the seasonal river lot (must include dock space, most get trashed and flooded regularly) and the state park campground (attraction is the park). Recently we have had several neighbors put in a third type- the oil field roughneck crash pad. These are monthly rentals with no bath-house or amenities other than FHU and we are over run with them due to lack of zoning. I think my personal retirement ideas of a family campground have probably been ruined by the bad reputation of those who have gone before me. It would really take a lot to stand out differently in my area.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:50 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by retireearly View Post
If a campground is not located near a major city or in a 'tourist area' I have to wonder if it makes sense. We live on the WV side of the Ohio river not far from you I would guess and only two types of campground exist- the seasonal river lot (must include dock space, most get trashed and flooded regularly) and the state park campground (attraction is the park). Recently we have had several neighbors put in a third type- the oil field roughneck crash pad. These are monthly rentals with no bath-house or amenities other than FHU and we are over run with them due to lack of zoning. I think my personal retirement ideas of a family campground have probably been ruined by the bad reputation of those who have gone before me. It would really take a lot to stand out differently in my area.
Again, Lots of great input. The land I'm looking at is 25 minutes from Columbus, Ohio. There is a new major tourist property that would be about 10 minutes away (along side Rt 71) called Planet Oasis (https://esportsinsider.com/2018/07/p...esports-arena/). My brother and sister in law just purchased the property right next to this 30 acres I'm looking at that has a large barn an old beautiful house that they will be using for weddings and events. This land is also between two major reservoirs (10 minutes to the east and the west)

As I think through this it seems like it could be well positioned?
Zak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:38 PM   #49

1st thing you want to check is how big a bathroom you need per 10 campers then build accordingly dont forget to make it handicap accessible. Next is dump tank, septic size, well size along with pump house and blatter tank big enough to accommodate every spot. The electric company will normally give you a deal as long as you promise a minimum electric user's during the season but tell them you want meters. Make sure you check the area for others who have a well, make sure you have a safe water source. There's a ton of other stuff, the big thing is is make it family friendly not a senior citizen campground. Families spend a lot of money, seniors are normally on fixed incomes.
Macdoctor56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:50 PM   #50

That sounds like an ideal location, especially with the new investment coming into that area. Just like with real estate investing, location is everything. All other variables can be addressed/adjusted along the way.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:16 PM   #51

OMG PLEASE DO !!!
I’m from Columbus and there are very few RV parks to chose from. We stay at Alton RV Park off of West Broad Street. It’s just a parking lot. No amenities; no laundry, they limit children to 1 week stay, now is that crazy !! Obviously no playground. We stay there only because it’s close to family. Our other options are Plain City or Cross Creek in Delaware AND with terrible traffic issues.
May I ask where would you be thinking of building this rv park ?? Close to the outer belt for convenience ??
I would love to see another option in Columbus. With Ohio State, Games and Hospital and a large VA Clinic in town you should be safe in your investment !!
I’ll check back to hear your reply.
Thanks !!!!
Debrasparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:26 PM   #52
Part timer

Anchor Down is a great model to keep in mind. We first visited them a few months after they opened and they we already selling out all their sites.
2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD
2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ tow/trail ride
Southeastern Tennessee
BBC Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:41 PM   #53

Contact the married couple that own/operate Mountian Stream RV Park in North Carolina. Google it. Private and they live there and it is the nicest place we’ve been.
K Fecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:30 PM   #54

Smile

If you happen to be lucky enough to be on a lake, pond, river, etc. please arrange to put the camping spots right by the water. Most campgrounds, leave the waterfront sites forested, etc and put the camping sites far away so that campers have to drive to see the water. However, when there are any sites near the water, they are always popular, booked first, and charge more than the rest.
New campgrounds are badly needed (not seasonal), especially in Ontario!
Good luck!
finlayj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:43 PM   #55

Zak1, we share the same dream. We’ve been lucky enough to finish our 48 state quest last year with our 4 kids and one dog. It took us 4 summer trips that each lasted 3 weeks. Along the way, we always sought out the nicest campgrounds in the area. Our favorite campground is Anchor Down. We were there a few weeks ago and while the kids were playing in the lake I said to the wife, out of all the campgrounds we’ve been to, this is my favorite and I wouldn’t change a thing. The kids ask us to go there all of the time.
ciscojg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:39 PM   #56

For us, it's really important for the kids to have a place to gather to meet other kids. A pool, beach, play set, etc. They dont need much but need something beyond the site.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:39 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
my final thought is for your dump station. make it TWO lanes. its not much more space, just an extra width. .
AMEN! I can't understand why most places just have 1. It makes checking out on a Sunday awful!!!

2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 254DSX
2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 6.2L
BeckyMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:26 PM   #58

Here in Michigan, campgrounds have to be licensed and inspected. My husband is the director of a youth camp and retreat center. We are only licensed for group camping; overnight camping is a different license and a different inspector. <groan> Do the math carefully. When we came here we were surprised to find that camper registrations would never equal the payroll for staff... that's why we have to hustle to get year-round retreat business. The cabin/skiing idea? Unlikely to work since Ohio doesn't get that much snow. (I went to graduate school in Delaware). We have a lot of success with quilting and crafting weekends. You can do very well marketing to families of the wedding crowd -- those wedding barns are popular right now. Also for the football crowd.
The most important thing to consider is your personality type. Are you extroverted? Like to talk to people? You might enjoy this. If you're going into it because you want to get back to nature, don't spend the money. My husband doesn't get a day off from May 1 to Labor Day and I can't wait for the last camper to leave so I'll have some peace and quiet.
Silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:17 AM   #59

New Campground

I was a full timer for 8 years & ran a Campground for 4 of those years. I am now in Salem Ohio, Columbiana Cty. I may be able to help you. How can I get a hold of you. I'm not big on texting. I prefer either phone or face to face.
biker1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:26 AM   #60
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1952 View Post
I was a full timer for 8 years & ran a Campground for 4 of those years. I am now in Salem Ohio, Columbiana Cty. I may be able to help you. How can I get a hold of you. I'm not big on texting. I prefer either phone or face to face.
Use the Forum's Personal Message system.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, mpg