Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2007, 01:19 AM   #1

New Fifthwheel problems

I have a 2007 Rockwood SS8280. On my first trip from Mi. to Al. The roof seam at the front to the rubber roof has pushed all the sealant out leaving a wide open crack. No dealers around. I repaired it with the 4 in wide tape that's costs $75 a roll.The gas line from one lp bottle was plugged. Replaced that $20. The step would not stay in came out every couple of hours. That last time it hit a curb now that it is twisted it stays in. I installed a swivel mount to the lcd tv because you cannot see the tv off to the side very well, that was $65. I also replaced the tv antenna cable from the outside box to the splitter made for a better picture. I taped up a rear window to keep the wind out. One more problem is the grey water tank drain under the slide out. You have to crawl on your belly to get at it.What a dumb idea. I like the extra capacity. It should be connected to the main valves. Now that I said that I do like the layout and hope to keep it for years to come. We are now on our way to Arizona.
Truckwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:53 AM   #2

Hi Truckwheel,
Welcome to the Forest River Forums.

Sorry to hear about you troubles with the new 8280SS 5th wheel.
I know what you mean about the galley drain being under the slide and hard to reach. It's a pain in the ***** to get to.

Have a safe trip,
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:21 PM   #3

Hi Truckwheel,

Hope you have better luck with your rig on the way to Arizona. Sounds like you are the "handy man type" and can cure about any problem. Camp on!!!
Old 02-19-2007, 07:27 AM   #4

Sorry to hear about the problems. I have the slipt grey water tanks also and have learned to adapt. If i think i'll need it for a week I hook a garden hose with a shut off at the end and open the valve then put the slide out. That way when we want to dump we just put the end in the sewer hole and open the end of the hose.If it's just for the weekend I wait until were hooked up and the slides in then dump the tank. I do like the extra storage also.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:25 PM   #5

I made it to Az. only problem was a flat tire someone passing me noticed it that helped. Makes me think about tire pressure monitors. The flat was from a stone turning around in a dirt parking lot.
I like the idea about connecting a garden hose to the gray water tank. I wish I could find a place to put the garbage. We end up with a bag in the sink. No cupboard to put a trash can in. We spend two days at Carlsbad and went to the caves. It snow there and the slideout would not retact until I cleared the ice off the rollout cover. We spend a week in Las Cruces NM. We like it there. A lot to see and do. We are now in Tucson for a week and then on too Lake Havasu.
Truckwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:07 PM   #6

I just send the 7 year old in to pull the galley valve. I think I will keep him around
2002 F-250 Super-duty
Woody 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody 01 View Post
I just send the 7 year old in to pull the galley valve. I think I will keep him around
LOL........When he starts drinking all your beer, get rid of them all......

Night's camped in 2010 36
MrSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:53 PM   #8

Lake Havasu is the location of Forest River's emergency roadside assistance headquarters. Just give them a call if anything else goes wrong. Camp on!!