Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2021, 04:51 PM   #1

New Generator Starting issue

Ok, new champion 2500 dual fuel inverter. I only want to run on propane. Trying to do the break in period. I know the direction or 3-5 pull on choke, then switch to propane and should start 1-2 pull. I got a brand new propane bottle and had it filled. found out I may have need to purge but I did not. it takes 9-10 pulls on choke and 3-4 pulls when it starts. I got it started first day and ran for .2 hours. In that time I would turn of and it would take a long time to start again. Today I switch bottle to my grill bottle and it seemed to start up way faster. However I turn it off and a warm engine should start right away I believe I read. Anyway it's the doing same way with the other bottle. I not as healthy as I used to be and pulling on the rope so many time is not fun. Anyone able to shed information if this is thew way propane is or do i possibly have some other issue.?
ronthet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronthet View Post
Ok, new champion 2500 dual fuel inverter. I only want to run on propane. Trying to do the break in period. I know the direction or 3-5 pull on choke, then switch to propane and should start 1-2 pull. I got a brand new propane bottle and had it filled. found out I may have need to purge but I did not. it takes 9-10 pulls on choke and 3-4 pulls when it starts. I got it started first day and ran for .2 hours. In that time I would turn of and it would take a long time to start again. Today I switch bottle to my grill bottle and it seemed to start up way faster. However I turn it off and a warm engine should start right away I believe I read. Anyway it's the doing same way with the other bottle. I not as healthy as I used to be and pulling on the rope so many time is not fun. Anyone able to shed information if this is thew way propane is or do i possibly have some other issue.?
I just got a Champion 2500 dual and had the same trouble. Started very hard on propane. Gas started right away. I found that you have to turn the choke back slightly from full on. I had a bottle I thought must be empty but it was the choke setting. After further invesigation I found other people had the same problem. Love the generator.
Good luck.
Bob
Old 04-02-2021, 06:12 PM   #3

This starting issue is due to the way the propane system works. The regulator needs to feel the vacuum from the intake before it releases propane.

Pulling the choke, giving it a couple or more pulls, then pushing the choke in slightly gets propane to the carburetor then pushing it in slightly allows some air in to mix with it. Fully out and the choke causes the mixture to be too rich to burn.

I have a larger generator with electric start so it's easier to work starter and choke back and forth using each hand.

Once you find the sweet spot of full choke, pulling, partial choke, pull to start, it will be much easier on the "pulling arm".

A note on propane tanks that were filled without purging first.

If the tank wasn't purged before filling the propane inside is diluted with air. Propane is heavier than air so if you let the tank sit in a cool spot (out of the sun at least) the air and propane will stratify to a great extent. Opening the valve and blowing off some gas will remove a large part of the air. Doesn't need to be much due to the high pressure but it will at least make whatever you subsequently draw from the tank more propane than propane/air mix.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:33 AM   #4

Well turns off Champion support called me and advised they believe the regulator is bad. They are sending me a new regulator kit. Took the bottle to Northwest propane and they purged and took care of the bottle for me with a full tank. Did not charge me a thing. He looked at the regulator and he also advised nothing was coming out.
ronthet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator