Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2011, 08:51 AM   #1

New kid with battery questions

Hello all! New RVers checking in here. My family and I just bought a 2011 26Tbud and of course, we have tons of questions. I posed this question on another forum amend I got lots of good general info but because I think the answer may be model/manufacturer specific, I thought I would toss it out here.

I'm considering go the two 6v battery route. We are taking delivery this Saturday and I was wondering if I should call and tell them I would like this done before pick up. But even before that, is this something I can do with my model? Will the batteries fit? Is there a brand I should insist on? Etc.

I can already see that folks have pretty strong opinions on this and for good reason. Seems both options (two 6s or two 12s) have their merits.

Thanks for any and all input and we look forward to our exciting future with our new toy!
ddepr1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I think there are 2 schools of thought on battery brand. By a cheaper brand, which may not last as long, and just replace it with another cheap brand when it goes; ultimately the lowest cost solution. OR by a serious deep cycle like a Trojan which is likely to last longer (and may have more capacity) but this is probably more expensive. I went the Trojan route. Trojans cost about twice as much; not cheap. But I think they have higher capacity and are more tolerant of deeper discharges. JMHO. I've bought NAPA deep cycle batteries too and they were good.

Before you jump off the deep end with this, think about what kind of camping you will be doing. If you will mostly be on hookups, you don't need more battery. Double batteries are more for boondocking IMO where power isn't available.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #3

a good discount on labor and parts ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddepr1217 View Post

I'm considering go the two 6v battery route. We are taking delivery this Saturday and I was wondering if I should call and tell them I would like this done before pick up.
at our local RV repair shop down the mountain
this same question came up a while back
they said that one of their old employees
used to work at a battery manufacturing plant
he claimed the best way to always go was 2-6 volt
if you got the monies
maybe you wish to just have them do it for you
since
you bought a new rig
they (possibly) should only charge for parts
((which they make plenty on))
or possibly
a good discount on labor and parts ??

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #4

It all depends on how you use your RV. When we got our trailer the dealer "gave" us one GP24 12 volt battery. I soon added three more as we do a fair amount of boondocking. Those batteries served us very well for 6 years. Last spring I replaced them with 4-6 volt golf cart batteries. As I see it, the dealer will "give" one new battery with the trailer. so add a second one and go camping. Plan to add a small portable generator to your stuff and use that to recharge the batteries for now. It is not a big deal and if you boondock a lot you will need the generator anyhow.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
Plan to add a small portable generator to your stuff and use that to recharge the batteries for now. It is not a big deal and if you boondock a lot you will need the generator anyhow.
X2. And go for a quiet one; like a Honda or Yamaha.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
Site Team

the advantage always goes to two 6v golf cart batteries.

the only advantage a 12v deep cycle has over the 6v, is that if one 6v goes bad, you have no battery power.
while if you have the two 12v setup and one goes bad, you'll still have power.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery