Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #1

New knee's or hip's?

I have been recovering at home for the past two weeks from hip replacement surgery on my left hip. While sitting here this morning I'm wondering how many other fellow campers have had a similar surgery and resumed their camping routine without any problems. Have you had to modify anything that you have previously done while camping? Anything you have found out that you can share with me? I chose to get mine replaced this time of year so that I can be back in camping shape by summer..I am looking forward to being able to enjoy the outdoors again.
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:50 AM   #2

December 1991, had my total left knee replaced. It still works fine but I have always been careful not to kneel on it when crawling around the underside of the trailer during hook-up and breakdown. It is titanium, and it goes from the bottom of the thigh bone to the top of the shin bone. The best advice I was given by the doctors is never get on a ladder again, because if you have to jump off the ladder, you will drive that metal knee out the top of your leg. My ladder work is now done by my son-in-law.
robert elling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
Rad

Best wishes to you! I'm in the process of recovering from rotator cuff surgery -- it is a frustratingly long process! I'm also hoping to be at least in good enough shape for our trips this summer! They tell me it takes at least a year to be fully recovered!
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #4

DW had knee replacement surgery last January. Although she went through a long recuperative period it was well worth it. She has no problem using the stairs in our 2 story home or in the 5er. She scheduled her surgery during the winter months also so it wouldn't interfere with the camping season.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #5

I had both knees done January 10th & 12th of 2012. It was the best thing I ever did. Doc said I would be driving in 2 weeks and was and also just walking with a cane. Physical therapy lasted 2 months but now I have no pain and can walk pain free. I am still trying to reteach my brain that I can walk down steps normally vs one at a time but it is slow as I had been doing that for about 15 years, so have to learn to trust them. Doc said not to ski but don't do that anyway am careful on a ladder and have learned not to jump off of anything higher than 6 inches. I have my life back.
2013 nights camped 35
MarcusN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #6

I appreciate the replies from all of you so far. I am encouraged by your responses and can't wait to resume my normal activities. Sounds like you all are doing great and enjoying your way of life again. Recovery time for me is 6 to 8 weeks. Good news is the pain I had in the hip is totally gone, just a little soreness around the incision area. I'm getting more movement back every day. Thanks again for replies and encouragement.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #7
Site Team

though i've yet to have a knee replacement(but at 60, it's in my future), i have had 7 knee surgeries. one was a ACL reconstruction.
but i know many that have had replacements and the key for them and for me, was hitting the rehab hard.

most that return to a very active life, were very dedicated to pushing the rehab exercises hard and being able to push past the pain.

the ones i know that still have issues, were the type to stop if things started hurting and weren't dedicated to their rehab.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
PPST OGCDG

Back in Dec 2010 I had both Knees replaced on the same day. 4 days in hospital 10 days in Rehab Hospital and then 3 times a week for 5 weeks of rehab. I know my limits.
Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank-VA View Post
Back in Dec 2010 I had both Knees replaced on the same day. 4 days in hospital 10 days in Rehab Hospital and then 3 times a week for 5 weeks of rehab. I know my limits.
I think that is the key, knowing your limits..Thanks for your reply.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to King Yankee Send a message via Yahoo to King Yankee
Had my left knee replaced, best thing I did, no more pain. As others have said, hit the rehab hard. It hurts but no pain no gain. Today I'm back to playing golf, riding morcycles and doing all my hobbies. You learn to stay off the knee when getting down. Good luck Pal.

Lexington GTS 300 S/S
Chevy Avalanche
Jeep Wrangler
Honda Goldwing
King Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #11
fmc

I had both hips replaced back in 2008.Today I can do almost everything I was able to do previously with a few exceptions. I will tell you that you will be GLAD that you did have your hip replaced. You should be walking at 6 weeks without any cane and not even have a limp. Today I go camping without any problems at all. Get well soon!!
fmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to iowaborn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank-VA View Post
I can not imagine having both knees replaced the same day. I had both knees replaced (twice), but the last time they were three months apart. The first replacment failed and they were replaced - by a different orthopedist. I would not be walking today if I did not have them replaced.

Iowa: Not as bad as you picture it.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:03 PM   #13

I had my left knee scoped three weeks ago and am currently going through therapy..... I don't plan on letting it slow me down so as soon as I'm given the all-clear, we are on the road again...

Hopefully, no knee replacement any time soon....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:32 PM   #14

As I planned my knee replacements I went to the rehab center which is also a gym and talked with them about what exercises were best to do before hand and worked on them for 3 months before the surgery. My orthopedist when doing a double knee replacement does the first on Tuesday and the next on Thursday and then home on Sunday. He also on Thursday before he does the 2nd knee as you are already prepped he reopens the 1st knee and cleans it out so that knee heals even quicker. I also only had a spinal for both knees and was awake through the whole thing. He said before hand that if I got to moving around he would pull a "Michael Jackson" on me. Well the 1st knee took about 45 minutes longer than planned and I told the anestesiologist that I could move my other toes and he said not to & then I told him a few minutes later that I could move my other foot, the next thing I remember I woke up in recovery. The 2nd knee was shorter and so was awake for the whole thing.
2013 nights camped 35
MarcusN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #15

I had a hip replacement in 2006. No problem in the RV, but you need to know your movement limitations and comfort zone. Everyone is unique. The steps into the Berkshire are steep, so I take them slow and easy.

ADK-RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusN View Post
As I planned my knee replacements I went to the rehab center which is also a gym and talked with them about what exercises were best to do before hand and worked on them for 3 months before the surgery. My orthopedist when doing a double knee replacement does the first on Tuesday and the next on Thursday and then home on Sunday. He also on Thursday before he does the 2nd knee as you are already prepped he reopens the 1st knee and cleans it out so that knee heals even quicker. I also only had a spinal for both knees and was awake through the whole thing. He said before hand that if I got to moving around he would pull a "Michael Jackson" on me. Well the 1st knee took about 45 minutes longer than planned and I told the anestesiologist that I could move my other toes and he said not to & then I told him a few minutes later that I could move my other foot, the next thing I remember I woke up in recovery. The 2nd knee was shorter and so was awake for the whole thing.
I also had the spinal. It made for a quicker recovery after the surgery. The next day I felt great and had no ill effects as someone that would have been totally knocked out. No nausea feeling or anything. Only thing I didn't enjoy was when they first stuck that needle in my back they missed the spot and must of hit a nerve, I had an electrical type pain all the way down to my toes on my right leg. Ouch!! I told them what happened, they pulled the needle out and moved it to a different spot...much better!
Old 02-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #17

I had the knee and hip both replaced on the same side about 8 months apart. The surgeon told me I can do anything I want to, but if I impact it too much (jogging, etc) or crawl on that knee I will be back in sooner to get it redone. I camp, hike and climb ladders like I used to, I'm just careful to limit impact and I do not get down on that knee. The hip is definitely easier than the knee.
2011 Rockwood 2604
K_and_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:50 PM   #18

DW had a left hip replacement in 2011. 6 weeks after the replacement she was cleared to do everything she wanted to do. No pain after the operation. Even went alpine skiing after 4 months. She was 62 at that time. And still going strong. No alternation was required in the house or while RVing.
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:49 PM   #19
PPST OGCDG

When I had my knee replacements they did a spinal tap and lightly sedated me I came to about halve way through and I could hear the sawing and hamming. I ask if I was supposed to hear that and they ask if I could feel it and I said no and then I went back to sleep. After I got out of the hospital I measured my height and I had gained 1/2 inch.
Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #20

im currently rehabilitating from a broken hip and wrist on my right side.
result of an ice fall accident.
i may be in a different situation than some of you, im only 48 and rather then replace by hip they repaired it.. long term this is supposed to be the better route (my age and good bone health currently helped determine this surgical decision) as ill still have my natural bone there... its not as great in that, because its not artificial, i can;t bear weight on my right leg for 3 months, and since my right wrist is also in a cast, that makes rehab and moving around a bit more tricky and longer term.

right now i am trying to get through the pain (my surgery was this past sunday) enough to learn the techniques needed for me to be able to climb 28 stairs up to my third floor condo where my wife and i live.

the pain prior to surgery was an 11
after surgery was 7-8 but held in check with meds.
i was transfered from hospital to acute rehab hospital on wednesday and have been doing daily OT and PT and pain is probably down to 2-4 with pain management.. i expect ill be with pain a bit longer than with an artificial replacement by choice both due to the trauma of the accident itself and all the healing the broken pieces need to do.

what i can say, even in my situation, is that its a high blood flow area so seems to heal quicker than other areas... and daily improvement is noticeable.