Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2020, 12:23 PM   #1

New Lippert Floe Water Line Flusher System

Anyone given this product any research and thought? I notice that they focus on your fresh water lines and say nothing about flushing the gray/black pipes so this would not be a true alternative solution to winterizing, right?

And if all this does is flush your water lines so you don't use "stale" water, couldn't you do that by simply running your water a couple of minutes?

For $250, I was hoping for a complete winterizing solution!

Thanks for your input!

OTR 2024-22 / 2023-29 / 2022-52
2021-51 / 2020-29 / 2019-71 / 2018-49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:33 PM   #2

Do you have a link or a model number or something?
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:49 PM   #3

https://store.lci1.com/flo-integrate...wn-system.html

If this link doesn't work, Google Lippert Components Floe System.

OTR 2024-22 / 2023-29 / 2022-52
2021-51 / 2020-29 / 2019-71 / 2018-49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:03 PM   #4

I already have an air compressor, so buying a $5 air hose fitting that screws onto the city water connection was all I needed to do. I have a second fitting that screws onto my black tank flush, as I don't like mixing fresh water and black/gray water equipment. I also use RV antifreeze once I've purged my water lines. Most people don't even bother using air to purge their water lines if they're going use RV antifreeze.

Quite frankly, I think this device is more a waste of money than anything else. I see no benefit in getting one.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:18 PM   #5
Dahagen

As mentioned by AKErik, a cheap air compressor works great for flushing the water system when you winterize. And I just run fresh water through the system to clear out the 'old' water. Unless you winterize your water system a lot, I see no need for the Lippert thing.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:44 PM   #6

BUTTT it uses:

"Mobile Compressed Air Technology"

Based on the apparent size. It is not much of a compressor. And one review says very noisy. Also probably takes forever to fill the system with air each time.

For $250 you can buy 2 or 3 good compressors that you can use for other things. Like tires and beach toys or whatever.

Not worth it IMHO.

Have fun.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:05 PM   #7

Add my vote for a gimmick that is not worth the money at all.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Add my vote for a gimmick that is not worth the money at all.
X2

A lot $$ for something you typically use once per year. Besides that, you should probably have an air compressor anyway - so kill 2 birds with one stone.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:59 PM   #9

x3... Get a solid air compressor and take care of your water, your tires and inflatable toys for 1/2 the cost of the Lippert.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:25 PM   #10

UK English vs US English

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkRVHog View Post
Anyone given this product any research and thought? I notice that they focus on your fresh water lines and say nothing about flushing the gray/black pipes so this would not be a true alternative solution to winterizing, right?

And if all this does is flush your water lines so you don't use "stale" water, couldn't you do that by simply running your water a couple of minutes?

For $250, I was hoping for a complete winterizing solution!

Thaenks for your input!
It appears to be a complete, permanently installed winterizing solution. Apparently in the UK, "flush" can be used to describe air displacing water. In the US it would more likely be used to describe fresh water displacing stale water.

Regardless, it does seem like an unnecessary toy. Others have mentioned using their compressors to purge their systems. Some, like me, use the built-in water pump to displace the water with pink RV antifreeze.

I always wonder whether the folks using compressors are using oil-free compressors. My compressor has an oil-filled crankcase and I am reluctant to use it on the water system.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
It appears to be a complete, permanently installed winterizing solution. Apparently in the UK, "flush" can be used to describe air displacing water. In the US it would more likely be used to describe fresh water displacing stale water.

Regardless, it does seem like an unnecessary toy. Others have mentioned using their compressors to purge their systems. Some, like me, use the built-in water pump to displace the water with pink RV antifreeze.

I always wonder whether the folks using compressors are using oil-free compressors. My compressor has an oil-filled crankcase and I am reluctant to use it on the water system.

Good point.

I don't know about other compressors. Mine is a 25 year old Campbell Hausfieldor something. The oil is put into the tool. So downstream from the compressor. No issue.i
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:55 PM   #12

My pancake compressor is oil free. Set the regulator for about 30 lbs and let it blow.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:03 PM   #13

Oil bypass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
Good point.

I don't know about other compressors. Mine is a 25 year old Campbell Hausfield or something. The oil is put into the tool. So downstream from the compressor. No issue.i
The compressors with oil in the crankcase do pass a bit of oil in the compressed air. As the piston retracts to fill with air, there's a slight vacuum. Most air comes in through the intake. But minute amounts of oil from the cylinder walls can be pulled past the piston rings into compression chamber and on into the tank and hose.

If you look at the Harbor Freight catalog, for example, you will see both kinds. My Harbor Freight compressor does have oil in the crankcase but that does not provide enough oil for tools--I dribble some into each tool. My son has an airbrush compressor--might also be Campbell-Hausfeld--that is oil-free. It has carbon piston rings.

The auto painters won't go near an oil-filled compressor. They know that it can affect the paint's bonding to the surface being painted.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:26 PM   #14
Retired

Video on the website says in “charges” to 15 psi. Does that imply that it does not provide a continuous 15 psi? Doesn’t seem like a lot of air pressure.
I use 25 to 30 psi with my pancake compressor.
TimKTuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:20 AM   #15
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

And … did you notice how they say it "prepares your RV for winterizing"?
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:42 AM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
And … did you notice how they say it "prepares your RV for winterizing"?
Prepare can be read many ways.

If someone prepares a bath for someone else, that means it is ready for that person to bathe in.

If you say you are going to prepare a speech, that means you have outlined/written the words you want to convey and are ready to give it.

I believe in the case of the Floe system, it means just that... it has prepared your R/V for winterizing... meaning it has done what the Floe was designed to do. If YOU choose to do something additional/different when winterizing, that is no fault of the Floe not doing what it is advertised to do.

I think the manufacturer is simply trying to provide an option for those not capable of buying/using a separate air compressor nor having the ability to sanitize their system in the conventional manner we all seem accustomed to.

You have to remember... there ARE folks out there who don't have a clue.
I'm not saying that may be anyone on this forum or being demeaning in any way.

It is simply a fact that some folks cannot do things others can. Whether that be from lack of knowledge, a disability, or they'd just rather pay someone else to do it.

This device may fill that need.

I have no dog in the Floe hunt but I can see where it could serve a purpose for some. Could it be called a 'sales gimmick'... sure... but so are a lot of other R/V related things.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flush, water