Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2021, 02:52 PM   #1

New Owner! Now what??

Pulled the trigger this morning on my first RV, E_PRO 19 FD!. My question is, since we don't pick up till next week, what items should I purchase myself instead of being subjected to the dealerships inferior and costly items? Any tips are appreciated!
gamese7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:09 PM   #2
Multi-Slacker

Welcome from SoCal!
There should be some stickies on the subject

water hose
sewer hose
extension cord (check style)
battery ??
mattress topper
tools for hitch, tires, other
dishes, pots, pans, towels, paper goods, silverware
flashlights and batteries
EMS for electrical (opt)
air compressor (opt)

Spend a weekend in it while in your driveway to see what you need/want

Old 03-19-2021, 03:15 PM   #3

you need a camp site.

Blocks for leveling. I cut up an 8' 2x10.

You need a stinky slinky with an elbow and gloves.

You need a drinking water hose.

A nearby hardware store. A Walmart. They have the Scotts toilet paper for rv's. Credit card.

A square tip screwdriver in the tool kit.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:20 PM   #4

From here the list goes on forever!
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:21 PM   #5

Welcome from Wisconsin. Congrats and enjoy your E-PRO 19 FD. Some dealers include a starter kit which include some items, usually low quality stuff. I'd ask before you go buy stuff. But I'd add to the list:

water pressure regulator
wheel chocks
leveler boards
extra fuses
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 04:27 PM   #6
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Take along a nice universal tool kit.
and make sure you have a level, leveling blocks and such aren't much use without knowing if and when you're level. (of course the old pan of water on the floor will work in a pinch)

We found angel soft TP works well in our tank, 2 ply. it dissolves easily and is a little easier on your bottom.

For everything else, don't worry if you need it, you'll find out as you progress along in the process, just like all of us did at one point or another. Everyone's needs/wants are slightly different.

Purchase the minimum, do a shakedown stay close to home or place where you can get stuff. Most Walmarts have an RV section where you can get the basics. They may not be the best, but they'll get you by.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:38 PM   #7

RV-specific TP is not needed. Flush with more water than you think you need.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamese7en View Post
what items should I purchase myself instead of being subjected to the dealerships inferior and costly items? Any tips are appreciated!
Don't assume that the dealer's items are inferior and costly. Take your smart phone with you and compare the cost of the items they recommend to the price on Amazon before you buy. Most dealers offer items at different quality and price points. You may not need to buy much. Some dealers have a 'welcome package' as a thank you item that includes your hoses and other essential items. Some of the items may not be good quality, but will do for your first trips and you can replace as needed.

I would recommend buying a Electrical Management System/ Surge protector before you go camping and an adapter from 30 to 50 amp (depending on which your rig is) so that you can plug into any campsite.
Other items are going to depend on your camping style and driveway camping is a good way to test what you need.

Welcome to the rving community and to the forum!
Old 03-19-2021, 10:11 PM   #9

An electrical management system, surge protector, is not optional, it is a must!
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:34 PM   #10

a bottle jack, some 12 inch 2x6 lumber, a 25" breaker bar and a 1/2 inch drive 6-point socket that fits your lug nuts... all cheap enough at HFreight, cause your trailer will not come with any of that to change a tire should you get a flat

if your lug nuts have those cheap chrome metal caps on them swap them out for Gorilla lug nuts, lest one of the lug nuts rounds off when changing a tire

I have a foam pad about 2 X 2 feet from the swimming pool section of Walmart to use when kneeling on the ground fooling with anything that needs to be fooled with while on the hard or wet ground

Also, while at the dealer, find those screens that fit over those small vents by the fridge and furnace vents on the side of the trailer that keep out flying/nesting critters. Easy to do to get the correct sizes while still at the dealership.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen-bug.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	250109  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:26 PM   #11

Since no one has really elaborated, get a white or blue drinking water hose for the fresh water tank. White, blue or white/blue striped hoses are the standard color code for drinking water. And the packaging will indicate they are for drinking water. Black or orange are the standard colors for the black tank flush hose. Always keep them in separate containers. I keep 25 foot hoses in the trailer, but also have a 50 foot water hose at home due to the long distance from water outlets to my fresh water tank. You'll also want a filter and a nozzle with shut off valve to fill your water tank. And a 90 degree elbow fitting to hook up to the city water connection so you don't kink the water line.

For sewer hose, I prefer the Rhino Extreme. It's tough and works great. I also have a clear 4 inch extension that goes on the sewer outlet on the trailer. That way you can see what's coming out and when the black tank is clean. I also use a clear 90 degree elbow and a 4 in 1 adaptor at the discharge end of the hose. I find that a 15 foot hose works in almost every situation. I also carry a 10 foot hose just in case.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:53 PM   #12

WOW......I love the response of everyone and the tips are fantastic. Thank you, I know this forum will be a nice resource to have if needed. So, we made a quick visit this afternoon at the dealer before we had to leave town and learned that this particular dealer does not provide any sort of start up bundle at all....( he said because of covid.....ok.....) ...anyway....that at least lets me know what I do need to find on my own, or wait and see what they have to offer. My sales guy told me straight out, its probably a good idea to buy on my own. Gotta love the honestly!
Thanks again for your tips, I am glad to be aboard!
gamese7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 02:14 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Pulled the trigger this morning on my first RV, E_PRO 19 FD!. My question is, since we don't pick up till next week, what items should I purchase myself instead of being subjected to the dealerships inferior and costly items? Any tips are appreciated!

How about some free reading material? Since you stated this is your first RV, this thread link below has a lot of information on things new RV owners need to know.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post1784008

Hope it helps

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 12:44 PM   #14

Another great source for information besides these pages is You Tube. Just search RV and you'll find hundreds if not thousands of RV specific videos, many of which are about stocking and equipping your trailer. I've been RVing for 40 years, and I still learn a great deal about what's out there, and what works, and what doesn't. There's also a ton of information on where to go, and things to see. You'll find people that are doing the kind of camping you like, and their videos can be really helpful. They will usually let you know if they are being sponsored by the stuff they are promoting, or if they just find an item worth talking about.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
RV-specific TP is not needed. Flush with more water than you think you need.
Agree. Don't waste your money. Costco works just fine in my RV and home on a septic system
sfsgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:49 PM   #16

Keep a good first aid kit in your RV.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:37 PM   #17

one thing when you do your walk through next week when you pick up your tt
be sure to record it on your phone so you can look at it later and if you have questions. Because they will talk fast and hopefully cover everything.
and if you are unsure of anything ask questions.

Have fun, enjoy your camper and becareful

oh for your first time stay close to home so you can do a shake down on how it all works and make sure it all works. And for your needs and wants and how you will pack it and make it yours!!!
x-splicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 01:17 AM   #18

When you take delivery, be sure to test EVERYTHING:
Furnace, A/C, hot water, fridge (have them start it the day before), outlets (bring a test plug if you have one), water at all fixtures, lights

Be sure you know how to manually (with a crank):
- Retract/extend slides
- Retract/extend stabilizers
- Raise/lower front of trailer (if a power version)

I had never used a weight-distributing hitch before. It's a bit of a wrestling match to get the bars in place. Have the dealer let you try connecting and disconnecting so that you have a feel for how much tension is correct.

Make sure you got the correct (deep cycle) batteries. My dealer tried to pass off dual purpose batteries, saying: "Dual Purpose means they work for both RV's and Boats, as pictured on the battery

Good luck!
Tom 2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:16 AM   #19

IF ???

Quote:
WOW......I love the response of everyone and the tips are fantastic. Thank you, I know this forum will be a nice resource to have if needed. So, we made a quick visit this afternoon at the dealer before we had to leave town and learned that this particular dealer does not provide any sort of start up bundle at all....( he said because of covid.....ok.....) ...anyway....that at least lets me know what I do need to find on my own, or wait and see what they have to offer. My sales guy told me straight out, its probably a good idea to buy on my own. Gotta love the honestly!
Thanks again for your tips, I am glad to be aboard!
Not if you need this forum but when and you will need it at some point. Also You Tube is a big help also.
FishRich is offline   Reply With Quote