Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2014, 02:16 PM   #1

New RV

First I want to say I'm not trying to flame anyone or get anyones boxers in a wad BUT.

I see questions on forums, not just this one, from people that just purchased a new RV, and perhaps this is the first RV (new) they have ever owned and need information or have questions about some problem they may have.

Like "what does fuse F-1 do?", "how do I turn on the water heater", "I can't figure out what the switch on the wall by the door does".

Rather that ask on a forum for the answer why don't they ask someone at the dealership where they just purchased the RV. They are by far the only other people that know exactly what kind of RV they have and have the biggest interest in answering their questions plus most familiar with common problems of any particular RV.

I know a lot of RV'rs want to help but they a lot times lead these newbies down a dark alley unintentionally. I'm not an expert on a lot (I should say most any) of these problems and I hesitate to answer if I'm not 100% certain I understand what they are asking and am able to assist.

Don't misunderstand, I love forums. I use them for cruise travel, amateur radio, RC airplanes plus RV's and they all have similar new user questions that sometimes open them to confusion and more problems than fixes.

On the other hand if you purchased a used RV, then perhaps the only place you can get a consensus is here on a forum. In particular used MH's because they have a lot more mechanical features. Many or most times a used RV will not have any information about any appliances, maintenance, or quick fixes, so this is where you start.

Nuff said.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:30 PM   #2

I don't mind answering any questions, if I can help. If you don't want to answer newbie questions then don't. I'm sure someone else will. I think a lot of people get excited when picking up their new RV and even if they are told how things work, they forget by the time they get home. Then on their first trip they get stuck. That's why is great to have a forum like this where no question is a stupid question.

I just don't understand why it bothers you. If you see a newbie question, move on.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
I just don't understand why it bothers you. If you see a newbie question, move on.
X2?
gmcnitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcnitt View Post
X2?

Amen, brother..
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
I don't mind answering any questions, if I can help. If you don't want to answer newbie questions then don't. I'm sure someone else will. I think a lot of people get excited when picking up their new RV and even if they are told how things work, they forget by the time they get home. Then on their first trip they get stuck. That's why is great to have a forum like this where no question is a stupid question.

x 2. Back when I first started camping and bought an RV, as a newbie on a different forum I asked a lot of questions which I am sure many people found annoying [I am sure I still do]. But, I got all of them answered and was always pointed in the right direction. Then it was up to me to use my judgment to decide if I wanted to listen to or act upon what I was told.

When I bought my new RV and switched to this forum earlier this year, so far the experience has been the same. In fact, alparmer answered one of my questions on my resid fridge and pointed me in the right direction.

I can't speak for every newbie, or semi-newbie, but for me the main reason I joined the forums and ask the questions is because I know the people here care, unlike the majority of sales persons who sell the RV and no longer care, and nobody here expects anything in return or will try to charge me for their advice, unlike the majority of the service people who want to get you in their shop and charge an arm and a leg before they fix your problem.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:56 PM   #6

If you are new to RVing sometimes you will find out that the people you bought it from are not the best at customer service. Some may be pretty bad.

Forums like this one can be quite helpful in getting you on the right track.
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:57 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
First I want to say I'm not trying to flame anyone or get anyones boxers in a wad BUT.
I'm not really following this BooBoo. There is no question in all of this and is just basically a statement from you. That is fine........ but since there is no question, what response are you looking for.......or expecting?

Quote:
Nuff said.
Are you asking to lock the thread, after your statement? If so, let me know and I'll be glad to.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #8

sometimes when I think I know,, I may not, but then I think I should know and I don't,,,,,,,,,and when I'm positive about it,, sometimes I'm wrong.............this forum is really a great way to get the answers you need that the Dealers and the books do not teach us..........afterall it's about happy camping! Right????
Old 05-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #9
Site Team

The dealership can be a great resource but the sad fact is that many do not end up being so. I had a pretty detailed PDI and 5 hours later I left with lots of answers and information. I got a slow start out of the gate and I finally went camping I found that I didn't remember it all. Being new to RVing I needed the additional support of other RVers and found that message boards were helpful.

I agree about using your local dealership for answers but it's not a one-stop shop for most of us.

PS
Sometimes its quicker to get an answer here than to wait for a call back.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #10

Quote:
When you start a threat with this sentence, you most likely going to catch some flak.

Quote:
I see questions on forums, not just this one, from people that just purchased a new RV, and perhaps this is the first RV (new) they have ever owned and need information or have questions about some problem they may have.
That's what a forum is for

Quote:
Like "what does fuse F-1 do?", "how do I turn on the water heater", "I can't figure out what the switch on the wall by the door does".
They have the right to ask. Sometimes the answer is staring at you in the face, but it takes a second set of eyes to find the answer.

Quote:
Rather that ask on a forum for the answer why don't they ask someone at the dealership where they just purchased the RV. They are by far the only other people that know exactly what kind of RV they have and have the biggest interest in answering their questions plus most familiar with common problems of any particular RV.
The dealership could be many miles away. If you get the wrong person, you could get the wrong answer. That's why it's important to include your year/model/etc. in your signature.

Quote:
I know a lot of RV'rs want to help but they a lot times lead these newbies down a dark alley unintentionally. I'm not an expert on a lot (I should say most any) of these problems and I hesitate to answer if I'm not 100% certain I understand what they are asking and am able to assist.
I'm sure there is a small percentage of someone giving the wrong answer, but I'd have to say it is very small.

Quote:
Don't misunderstand, I love forums. I use them for cruise travel, amateur radio, RC airplanes plus RV's and they all have similar new user questions that sometimes open them to confusion and more problems than fixes.
Maybe I have been lucky, but I have always received great answers on all sorts of forums.

Quote:
On the other hand if you purchased a used RV, then perhaps the only place you can get a consensus is here on a forum. In particular used MH's because they have a lot more mechanical features. Many or most times a used RV will not have any information about any appliances, maintenance, or quick fixes, so this is where you start.

Nuff said.
I have to disagree. New or used, paperwork or no paperwork, a forum is better than the dealer. All of the documents in my new coach were useless. Well, some of the TV or appliances did help a little. You'll are capable of reaching a greater audience from all over the US and more in a forum vs. the dealer. New or used, they both have mechanical failures. I'd have to say that new ones will have more right off the bat until they are all fixed.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:00 PM   #11

I would have to say that a lot of forum members have seen way more problems an fixes than even the dealer.

Real world experience if you will. I happen to believe that the people here on the forum are truly wanting to get your issue fixed and see you off camping. People here also understand perhaps better than the dealer what people are explaining because they already see it through "Newby Eyes".

People here have possibly found a fix that otherwise at the dealer costs an arm and a leg when all it takes is a quick trip to the store and $10 later everything is fixed.

A big thumbs up to FRF!!
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #12

By the time we were done with our walk around after buying our first TT I probably forgot 1/2 of what was told to me 😃. We live in a town that doesn't have a rv dealer and made our purchase over 150 miles away.

I check the forums every day for newbie questions and try to read all the reply. Thanks everyone👍
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:14 PM   #13

Quote:

Rather that ask on a forum for the answer why don't they ask someone at the dealership where they just purchased the RV.
I think this is the question - possibily retorical - at hand

BooBoo, the short answer is a (sadly) large number of dealerships have, as we used to say in the Air Force, "have their heads fully up and locked." They often can not or will not take time to explain squat save a rushed PDI.

It is a rare dealership that takes the time with new (or experienced!) RVers who are unfamiliar with their new rigs. I am a case in point. I would not send my worst enemy to Bankston RV in Huntsville. When we got our new 5er last year we drove over 100 miles to Dandy RV in Anniston AL, because they are one of those rare RV dealers that actually care about you post sale!

So, point one: The forums often are MUCH faster and more accurate than a dealer (One night I watched real-time posts from a paniced noobie who could not hook her 5er up and the kind forum members who helped her - after a flurry of posts, she succeded in hooking up and driving off with her disabeled husband)

Point Two: Your Dealership may be a 100 muiles away One forum member drove over 700 miles to pick up his rig!

Hope this explains things.

Cheers,

Bob
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:13 PM   #14

Quote:

Don't misunderstand, I love forums.

I don't think you quite understand what a forum is. The real problem on most forums is when people try to push their ideology on others. Instead of "Just stating the facts".
Old 05-13-2014, 05:32 PM   #15
NELA

Just speaking for DH and myself, this forum was a trip saver for us. On our first long trip we were awakened by the smoke alarm and a brand new TT full of smoke.

While I RVed (with ex and our kids) quite a lot in years past, we'd just gotten back in to it with our V-Lite....still wet behind the ears.

I was a WRECK, about ready to grab the dog, abandon our brand new TT and go home! DH jumped on this forum via his iPad and we quickly had an answer. First time usage of our furnace...burnoff of the annealing oil on the heat exchanger. Without the help we got here, I was refusing to stay another night in the TT and damn sure wouldn't have left Fred there for the day trip we had planned that day.

And...while I was big in to RVing years ago, RVs these days are much more complicated, many more systems involved. Heck we didn't even have a smoke alarm in our former MH. And I doubt CO monitors were even an option back then.

I'll say this: I'm GLAD this forum is more than a place to converse. It's the BEST source for help and information on the interwebs! I'd even say it's the best forum, hands down, on the interwebs.

MANY thanks to the site team for their diligence and the non-paid work they do here also! My is off to you folks.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:53 PM   #16

50percent of what I know I learned from cruising the forum. Great knowledge base, great resource and quick answers have helped me out several times. I don't have a dealer to go ask. And even if I did I'd worry I was getting the right answer. Extremely grateful to the members of this forum that have put up with many questions!!
greti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #17

New RV

I am a proud newbie. I do and will continue to ask a lot of questions. I am an assistant principal and my wife is a social worker. We like to take the TT out on the weekends to just decompress. I would rather ask a question and avoid a stressful situation.

I appreciate all the responses to my post. Kids are not getting easier, but each time I take the TT out I have one less thing I have to worry about.

Thanks,

Randy
Grif76040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:25 PM   #18

There's an old saying - Two heads are better than one.

And looking at the bottom right corner of my screen, there were 3,472 heads on line at 02:14 am on 3/5/14.

That's a whole lot better than the RV dealer.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:38 PM   #19
Canadian Member

In the case of FRF, I'd suggest that many newbies find, after lurking and reading the many posts here, that this forum is one where members are generally very respectful and newbies feel welcomed. I can't say that for some other forums I've read.

I can also say that feeling of respect and welcome is not always found at the local RV dealership. My nearest Roo dealer has mediocre customer service at best, so I come here. It's very convenient and reliable.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:45 PM   #20
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post
I would have to say that a lot of forum members have seen way more problems an fixes than even the dealer.

Real world experience if you will. I happen to believe that the people here on the forum are truly wanting to get your issue fixed and see you off camping. People here also understand perhaps better than the dealer what people are explaining because they already see it through "Newby Eyes".

People here have possibly found a fix that otherwise at the dealer costs an arm and a leg when all it takes is a quick trip to the store and $10 later everything is fixed.

A big thumbs up to FRF!!
X2...Whether it is motorbikes, atvs or campers, I've received SO much more valuable info from a Forum that makes the experience of owning these toys so enjoyable vs a Dealer who is chasing the next deal...which I understand they have to do to stay in business.