Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2022, 11:08 AM   #1

New rv’s

We have been starting to look at new travel trailers. Wondering if anybody has any idea what percent off of MSRP dealers are working with. I am sure it is not as much as a few years ago but just trying to get an idea. Thank You. Mblaze67
Blaze67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 12:22 PM   #2

From what other's have posted in other threads, it depends on the dealer and, more importantly, the model and floorplan you're looking for. But, you can expect anywhere between 15 to 20 percent off of MSRP is what I've been seeing.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 12:34 PM   #3

Thanks I appreciate the response. May find out shortly.
Old 02-04-2022, 12:54 PM   #4

I wrote the following in this forum on April 26, 2021.... I do believe the market has changed and prices have increased since then but data is your friend and this is valid data. Note if you "search the forum" I have found excellent information on many topics.
It is absolutely The Dealers right to try and maximize profit. The manufacturer does NOT set sale price.
We drove 2 hours to “local” dealer intending to purchase FR Sandpiper 5th wheel. Dealer was offering 15% off MSRP. I was confident could do much better. Purchased identical unit under Sierra Brand 33% off MSRP. Over $7k savings! Enjoyed the 10 hour drive 1 nite stay for PDI. Love the rv.
As rv owners we do need good relationships w someone who can provide quality competent service. Some dealers forget that we have choices. Find a good service house close to your home that you can trust. They may not even sell rrv’s (mine doesn’t).
Finally, when working w a dealer, competition is your best friend. Find same rv elsewhere (4 or 5 or 10 even better) so you know the market. I don’t agree that supply/demand is all screwed up due to Covid. We had no problem finding many dealers w our unit in stock. Yes I had to have some flexibility regarding specific features and I had to take road trip to pick it up.
RV Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 01:16 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

This has been discussed here frequently and most recently last week as I recall.

Seems it depends on the dealer and the location but no discounts like pre-COVID.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=88
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 01:56 PM   #6

Lots of variables (unit, unit type, location, and lots more).

I purchased a 5th wheel toyhauler in December of 2021.

Sale price was ~22.5% off of MSRP.
OTD in California was ~15% off of MSRP.

I may have been able to do a little better if I had continued to wait, but I'd already been searching for many, many months, and I didn't want to keep missing out on local units for sale over a few dollars. I am in Southern California, and 5th wheel toyhaulers are incredibly popular. As such, I had to compromise on price a bit in order to get what I wanted / needed: was looking for a certain size, certain features, and it had to fit with my 3/4 ton truck.

Depending on what you're looking for, you may have more flexibility with inventory, or you might be in a similar position.

I will offer this guidance: be careful about chasing a really good price out of state and hoping your local dealer will service it. I've got a pretty decent-sized list going on the one I just bought (I posted it in the Sandstorm toyhauler section). Buying local was important to me; I want my dealer to take my issues seriously and make sure they're getting handled correctly.
Greenhound386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 02:18 PM   #7

Thanks for all the replies. We bought local about 11 years ago and hope to do the same this time. Would like to order our unit as we did last time. It will be interesting to see how long it will take on a ordered unit. Last time ordered a Rockwood and it was in 10-12 weeks. Would like to order another Rockwood. . As far as wait time we still have our present unit so not in a real hurry. Thanks again.
Old 02-04-2022, 02:24 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze67 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. We bought local about 11 years ago and hope to do the same this time. Would like to order our unit as we did last time. It will be interesting to see how long it will take on a ordered unit. Last time ordered a Rockwood and it was in 10-12 weeks. Would like to order another Rockwood. . As far as wait time we still have our present unit so not in a real hurry. Thanks again.
If you told us what part of the country you're in, perhaps members can be more helpful.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 08:58 PM   #9

Sorry about that. We are in northern Ohio. East of Toledo. Thanks
Old 02-04-2022, 09:36 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze67 View Post
Sorry about that. We are in northern Ohio. East of Toledo. Thanks
Have you checked RV Wholesalers in Ohio?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 10:52 PM   #11

I just went through this and spent a few months shopping around both in state and out of state. i was able to obtain 20% off MSRP 7hrs away from me at a smaller family owned dealer. I tried rvwholealers ant the dealer i settled on had a better price and the unit was there unlike rvwholesalers. MSRP's are higher then they were a few years ago, i went back and forth on upgrading now or waiting for the bubble to burst as many claim will happen but in the end we decided to upgrade. Who knows when the prices will come back, if they even do and our kids are only young once. Camping is a huge part of our lives with us taking a trip once a month. Good luck on your search, I take delivery of mine in a few weeks!
Old 02-10-2022, 11:49 AM   #12

I just picked up a Wolf Pup 16FQBL for 33% off. They have another one in stock if anyone is looking.
Asnowmobiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 10:03 AM   #13

It doesn't matter much for me. I usually end up spending about 10% above retail on any major purchase. Never been a negotiator; never will. If I try and negotiate, they usually get mad at me.

But we did get an exceptional deal on our RV. Probably cause I was sick and not involved in the details.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 10:58 AM   #14

When I bought in October last year I got about 20% off MSRP.
The MSRP was from July and the dealer did not increase prices as FR increased MSRP between the time I ordered and it was delivered. (FR did increase price to dealer during that time.)
So the deal still had some room left in his "pocket."
Old 02-15-2022, 12:36 PM   #15

My guess and rule of thumb is the discount off of MSRP, if you can find a "true one", not something made to look factory by the dealer should be minimum in the 25%-35% range. Find a unit you like, price check it on the internet around the country to get an average suggested price, and go from there.

Don't deny the dealer a profit, say $1000 + shipping which used to be about $500. The rest of the money should stay in your pocket.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 12:42 PM   #16

I have noticed some dealer lots are starting to fill up and not bare as they were a couple of months ago...............................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote