Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2009, 09:11 PM   #1

New shocks on tow vehicle

I am experiencing a "porpoising" effect that is very annoying on some roads. I have a Quad cab short bed Ram 1500, and I realize that a 2500 or even better a 3500 would fit the bill much better, BUT I have what I have, and the wife says make it work. SO....I put a hellwig add a leaf rear stabilizer system on the rear, and now I'm replacing the mushy factory 50,000 mi. car shocks with Bilstein heavy duty truck and RV shocks, designed for towing. They are on sale till the end of April buy 3, 4th free! So I did it. 207.00. I am hoping this will dramatically improve the towing control of my truck. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Those things will help and your next move should be to replace those "P" rated tires with some "LT" rated tires. One other thing is to make sure the Dual Cam is set up correctly. That will make a big difference itself.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:54 AM   #3

another idea in shock technology is the Monroe Sensatrack that has an added Coil over the shock. Put them on a 06 Silverado 1500 and made a nice change
walkerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:11 AM   #4

Hi Walkerdog, I was considering those at first, myself. But I figured with the Hellwig add a leafs, AND these are suppose to be "heavy duty truck" shocks, AND on sale, I figured I'd try 'em! The original shocks had 50k on them, and were designed more for ride comfort than anything else, Thanks for your input!! And HAPPY CAMPING!! Randy
Old 04-20-2009, 08:23 AM   #5

Hi BAMA. I have replaced my tires already with Nexen Roadian SUV P 275 70 17's. They are E rated. I asked the manager his thoughts on LT tires, and he said they were "Substantially" higher in price, and really I use my truck on a daily basis for other stuff, only towing the camper average once a month, and usually within 200 miles of home. I pump them up to MAX COLD inflation, and that really helps the "mushiness" when towing, also. He didn't feel the ride quality sacrifice would be worth it in my situation. Thanks. Randy
Old 04-20-2009, 09:52 AM   #6

As far as e rated, e='s a 10 ply light truck tire. any tire that starts out with P is a p-metric a car styled tire with lesser side wall weight ratings. I'd agree with you as far as not wanting to hurt your ride with going to lt's, but they do offer you a stiffer sidewall.
walkerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:32 AM   #7

These tires say 2535 lbs, and 44 psi max pressure cold. There is an "E4" in a circle- I mistakenly thought was an E rated tire- they usually will say "load range___", however I could not find that on these tires. I DID find "made in Korea", however. That REALLY eased my tire worries!! As far as plies, they say sidewall 2 polyester, and tread says 2 polyester, 2 steel, and 1 nylon. I'll pump them up to 44 psi when pulling the camper, and hopefully it should be fine. My camper is 7575 lbs gvwr, so it's not too heavy, at least. Randy
Old 04-22-2009, 08:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
They are on sale till the end of April buy 3, 4th free! So I did it. 207.00. I am hoping this will dramatically improve the towing control of my truck. Randy

O.K. I want these shocks as well. Where did you get them for that price? Do you know the part #'s. I was looking online and the best price I have found is 280 shipped.

Bill

Bduece is offline   Reply With Quote