Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #1

New to forum

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum so please forgive me for questions that may have been answered in the past.
My navigator and I are taking posession of a new 37ft Cedar Creek 5th wheel in a few weeks.
We have camped for many years in tents, tent trailers, travel trailers and now a 5th wheel.
Question: In all those years we have never used a generator. What size of generator do you guys recomend to run coffee maker, toaster, television etc. Do not plan to run AC with it.
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #2

go up to "search" and type in -generators-. there have been many discussions on this topic

welcome and enjoy your new 5er.
realebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:14 AM   #3

Welcome Jacko,

Congratulations on the new RV.

As for the generator, if all you wish to do is run lower amperage items then a small 1Kw portable would work great. I have a Yamaha 1000w that is very small and very quiet. It fits in a side compartment very easily and will run for almost 8 hours on a gallon of gas. Best of all your neighbors wont hate you if you run it.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #4

The size and type of generator is a matter of taste and necessity. We just purchased a 5th wheel with air conditioning, TV's, microwave oven and a number of other energy consuming items. We want to use the toys and our dealer recommended a Onan 5.5 that operates off propane. It is built-in and we still have to watch what we operate. I assume your new 5th wheel has its toys. If you want to use them dry camping, then you need a generator and a powerful one. Some folks go with two portables and carry them in the truck bed or in a storage compartment. It is all in what you want. Oh yeah, cost, the Onan is about $3,500 installed.

Have fun and keep in mind you can always buy the generator later.

Big Bird
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Site Team

if you don't plan on using the a/c at all, then a Honda 2000i is your best bet. weighs under 50lbs. and will run everything except the a/c.
and if you do decide you want to run the a/c, then buy the Companion model to parallel the two and have 4000w available.

Yamaha just came out with their 2000 model and i believe it can also be paralleled.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice.
Will search threads for more info.
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #7

Most people including myself say that a 3500 watt 30 amp generator is good for overall camping power. It will run ONE rooftop AC unit, as well as lights and small appliances. Your unit being a 37 footer probably has 2 AC's on it, however. Also, microwaves are a big power hog, as well as the heater.
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote