Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 07:23 AM   #41

Forest River=total junk

I had a bunch of problems with my 2014 Forest River Salem, I had my local dealer fix them. Now I would like to buy another camper at some point, but I'm afraid to go through all the crap that I have been through and also after reading the stories here I bought a tent, it can easily be replaced!
Old 08-20-2021, 08:05 AM   #42

dealer repairs

Dealer service departments are swamped. We called in January and got an appointment in early March to replace a hot water heater motherboard. They kept it on the lot for over 3 weeks waiting for the part. It came in and was repaired THE DAY BEFORE our scheduled trip.
Old 08-20-2021, 08:32 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyElsa View Post
We had a similar experience with our new trailer last year. It was at the dealership for 4 months for warranty work. We had a castophoric failure that made the trailer completely unusable. It took calling Forest River Corporate office directly and finding a dealer rep to help pressure the dealership to complete the warranty work. We came close to invoking our state‘a lemon law to help bring closure to the situation.
I could be mistaken but I don't think Lemon Laws apply to RV's, boats and motorcycles.
Old 08-20-2021, 08:40 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
I could be mistaken but I don't think Lemon Laws apply to RV's, boats and motorcycles.
Depending on the state, rv's are covered.

The lemon law originated in 1984, when the United States government created a means to protect consumer rights against auto manufacturer and dealer fraud, via the Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act, commonly known as the “lemon law.” Now governed by the state, lemon law refers to the individual state laws instituted to protect the rights of consumers everywhere regarding automobiles, trucks, motorcycles, RVs, boats, and other products, that continue to have significantly impairing malfunctions after multiple attempts to repair the problem.
Old 08-20-2021, 09:54 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMullins46 View Post
I feel for you on the wait, but if you look around? Not only is there a wait for RV parts but most major items have the same issue. Have you looked at your local car dealer's lot lately? How many NEW (2021) vehicles do they have in stock? I've seen photos of thousands of new vehicles setting in storage waiting for a computer chip. We've gotten ourselves in one heck of a mess with all the important manufacturing being done overseas mainly China, but in other countries also. When the Covid-19 pandemic hit basically the whole world shut down and has been very slow to get started back up.
All that said, who are you dealing with at Forest River? Have you been talking with the people at the warranty department for your specific brand or someone in the FR corporate office? If it's been corporate then I suggest you contact the warranty dept of your specific brand. Over the years I have found that a call to the people who actually made my unit and being nice works wonders. I know you are frustrated but yelling and screaming and threatening will get you no where but on hold.
Good luck with you issues.
Been talking with the warranty department for my specific FR brand. We've both been polite, but not getting as far as I'd like. Seem like I just need to wait.
Old 08-20-2021, 10:22 AM   #46

Thank you everyone for the feedback/comments. I currently have a list of parts we are waiting on. No ECD, but I have firm details. Now I just need to wait and see.

I am hopeful FR/Dealership will make me whole (payment/insurance/so on) after this delay. We will see
Old 08-20-2021, 01:26 PM   #47

New trailer in the shop for 145 days

I would recommend a good Lemon Law Lawyer. Get all of your money back, including repair bills, purchase price, punitive damages, and legal fees. A Pay Demand letter to the dealer AND Forest River from the lawyers will open their eyes.
San Pedro, CA
Old 08-20-2021, 03:22 PM   #48

A simple letter from an Attorney does wonders.
Old 08-20-2021, 04:15 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER17453361 View Post
A simple letter from an Attorney does wonders.
So not that I doubt that that approach is the wrong direction but have you or others that have taken this approach before and had results? If so it would behoove not just the OP but others who might ponder this approach have how it was accomplished, what this lawyer needed and did it go to court or did just a letter initiate a quicker resolution? Also if restitution was made how was that determined? I, four years ago was very frustrated with a new FR Class A when it spent the 7 of the first quarter months in the shop and still coming back with the same issues and the 2nd year wasn't starting off any better so pushed it up to the top guy in FR warranty Dept. Who finally took care of it and even gave me a list of RV repair places I could chose from. Picked a small family owned shop in two weeks things were fixed finally. Hence no need to go further. 6 months later finally moved up to a DP.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
Old 08-20-2021, 07:45 PM   #50

Mine was in a settlement. They offered me a certain amount that I didn't feel was enough. My Attorney said he could get what I wanted plus a little more. He said he'd write them a letter and asked me if he could have whatever he got over and above what he collected and I agreed. He said companies have 2 different settlement prices, one for an individual and another one if an Attorney is involved.
Old 08-21-2021, 06:16 AM   #51
Site Team

Name:   dangerwill.png
Views: 460
Size:  105.5 KB

This thread is in danger of having posts deleted and/or closed.

Please read this sticky thread we keep in the admin subsection about why threads are closed when/if they turn to legal/attorney talk. It's fairly self explanatory.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...tml#post665355

If you still have any questions, feel free to contact me or any of the other site team members via private messages.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 08-23-2021, 04:22 AM   #52
Defender of America

I dealt with Forest River and selling dealer for 5 months on a single front window leak issue. Here's what I learned:
1. They park your unit until they can get to it.
2. The squeaky wheel gets attentions most.
3. Parts supplying is a real and serious problem.
4. Everyone wants you to think they are doing everything possible while blaming others.
5. Forest River extended my warranty period once the repair was actually complete. For the entire time they had it.
6. I only take my camper to the dealer when I have an appointment and wait. If it's drivable at the end of the day I take it home and set up another appointment.

Just my 2 cents. Your results may differ.
Centerline TS WDH
Old 08-23-2021, 12:35 PM   #53

We have a 2020 Greywolf. In our second season of non-use due to the fridge and many, many other defects. FR has been reasonable about replacement under warranty until now. They had to remove the entry door to replace the defective fridge. Now the door is almost impossible to open & close and the seal doesn't even touch at the bottom. The dealer is drop shipping me a new door as I need to install it myself due to being out of warranty. They messed it up, but I have to fix it. I figured we could actually use it now with the new fridge, but NOOOO. The new fridge is defective as well. Now what to do-- the invoice shows a different fridge than what they put in, so GE won't cover the defective fridge I now have. NEVER buy a FR product unless you just want it sitting in your or their yard.
Old 08-23-2021, 12:46 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemal View Post
We have a 2020 Greywolf. In our second season of non-use due to the fridge and many, many other defects. FR has been reasonable about replacement under warranty until now. They had to remove the entry door to replace the defective fridge. Now the door is almost impossible to open & close and the seal doesn't even touch at the bottom. The dealer is drop shipping me a new door as I need to install it myself due to being out of warranty. They messed it up, but I have to fix it. I figured we could actually use it now with the new fridge, but NOOOO. The new fridge is defective as well. Now what to do-- the invoice shows a different fridge than what they put in, so GE won't cover the defective fridge I now have. NEVER buy a FR product unless you just want it sitting in your or their yard.
Check the lemon laws. Contact your gov rep. This is not acceptable. It can not sit in their shop this long and warranty expire. It should be extended. You really should be due a new trailer.
Old 08-23-2021, 12:54 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankraney View Post
Check the lemon laws. Contact your gov rep. This is not acceptable. It can not sit in their shop this long and warranty expire. It should be extended. You really should be due a new trailer.

The unit has mostly sat in my yard thankfully. Only several weeks at the dealer. I have more miles on it going there than camping. I only dry camp and spend about $50 on gas for generator just to keep up with battery consumption. FR won't extend the warranty and I lost a few months of between agreeing to buy and the delivery last year. We only dry camp and having no fridge sucks! The first one was a Furrion and was supposed to be replaced with an Everchill, but the dealer put in an GE that worked for 2 days and now has become a giant freezer. GE won't work with me as the invoice shows the Everchill! Waiting now to hear back from the service manager. So wish we kept our 20 year old Keystone. It was tight but everything still worked perfect. Even the tires which I hate to admit!
Here in Vermont the "Lemon laws" don't cover campers.
Old 08-23-2021, 01:39 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemal View Post
The unit has mostly sat in my yard thankfully. Only several weeks at the dealer. I have more miles on it going there than camping. I only dry camp and spend about $50 on gas for generator just to keep up with battery consumption. FR won't extend the warranty and I lost a few months of between agreeing to buy and the delivery last year. We only dry camp and having no fridge sucks! The first one was a Furrion and was supposed to be replaced with an Everchill, but the dealer put in an GE that worked for 2 days and now has become a giant freezer. GE won't work with me as the invoice shows the Everchill! Waiting now to hear back from the service manager. So wish we kept our 20 year old Keystone. It was tight but everything still worked perfect. Even the tires which I hate to admit!
Here in Vermont the "Lemon laws" don't cover campers.

I wish I had kept my jayco. My FR was a nightmare. They are the worst. I now tell everyone to NOT buy FR.
Old 08-23-2021, 05:59 PM   #57

Me too! But is there a brand you can still trust?!
Old 08-23-2021, 06:31 PM   #58

I keep seeing people mentioning Lemon Laws. They do not apply in ANY state for trailers or fifth wheels. You may be allowed to file a breach of warranty lawsuit and could receive a settlement dollar amount, but that is it folks.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
Old 08-24-2021, 01:05 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
I keep seeing people mentioning Lemon Laws. They do not apply in ANY state for trailers or fifth wheels. You may be allowed to file a breach of warranty lawsuit and could receive a settlement dollar amount, but that is it folks.
Do your research. Some states have a lemon law. And there is a federal one for ALL.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (also referred to as the federal lemon law) protects consumers when the manufacturer of a motorhome or other RV fails to honor its written warranty. ... Consumers should keep good records regarding the complaints and the time the vehicle was out of service.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:37 AM   #60

Guess this is the new norm for dealership warranty repairs? Mine has been at C.W. since June 2nd and still waiting to get the Schwintek slide out replaced. Our one year of ownership will be this upcoming Labor Day. Lot on non-use days there. Paying for something that you cannot use...
2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn - 5.7 Hemi with 3.21 Gears
Max tow is 8500 LBS with 1788 Payload capability.
Closed Thread

Tags
trailer