Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2019, 03:17 PM   #1

New Trailer Questions

We are currently towing a 2018 Coachmen Apex 28.3 ft with a max gvwr of 7000lbs with a 2013 f-150 half ton crew cab Eco boost with a max towing capacity of 9500lbs. The DW has spotted a NEW Coachmen that she thinks we need. It is 34 ft. long with a max gvwr of 7800 lbs. I think it is well within my capacities. My concern is the the extra length I would have to deal with. My wheelbase on the TV is 157in. I don't need to here any stopping concerns as 800 lbs. more should not be a problem. Does anybody on here not realize trailers have brakes. I feel my trailer brakes dragging me to a stop as well as the truck brakes. I have not weighed my current setup but plan to on this trip while we are carrying as much as we ever would. I guesstimate we are around 6000lbs with the trailer loaded. We will not do anything until we get home in early April so we are not rushing into this just exploring. Would appreciate your comments and any other questions. Let the debate begin.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:24 PM   #2

Remember when you go to weight yourself, make sure your normal belongings are on, full of fuel and the normal number of passengers in the vehicle when you weigh. I laugh when I see someone get on scales and everyone jumps out. Lol. But looks like you’ll be well within your limit
dodgemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:36 PM   #3

As someone who tows similar weights to your current trailer on a 2016 f150 and weighed you will need to watch your rear axle weights.

You can compare tongue weight ratios of current and new and add that to your hitch weight so you know how much more weight you would be adding. I know that dry weights are not correct but short of putting a shirline scale under the new TT or weighing it I am not sure how else you could check.

Payload aside the rear axle is usually the next victim on the over weight list.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:16 PM   #4
Gold Tee Box

I hesitate to comment on anything regarding towing or weight, because someone will take this apart....

But,

Based on your post, it's not clear if you are concerned about length, weight, or braking.

I have a similar weight TT, but decided to pull with a 3/4 because we go cross country, and like the extra margin for towing/weight/braking.

Your set up may work out, depending on where you pull, but please get to a CAT scale.

I would first go with my TV alone to see what your front and rear axles read.

Then, go back with you TT and WDH set up and see what the readings are, and adjust accordingly.

Know how to use your brake controller and be safe. It's a learning process.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:26 PM   #5
Grammar Pedant

You're focusing on Tow Capacity. You need to focus on Payload. Check your door jamb sticker and it will tell you your payload capacity. This will be your limiting factor, in terms of weight ratings.

Your 7,800 GVWR trailer is probably going to be in the 7,500 lb range when optioned out, loaded, packed, and hitched.

That puts around 900-1000 lbs on your hitch. Add 300 lbs for you and your wife, fully clothed. 50 lbs for your WDH. You're sitting at 1,300 lbs and we haven't added bikes, wood, kids, gear, duffle bags, and other things in your bed or cab.

The truck probably has around 1,400 - 1,700 lbs of payload.

Also, if your trailer is dragging your truck to a stop, then your brake controller is not adjusted properly. Back it off a notch or two.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:41 PM   #6

My advice based on just my experience. Even if all the weights are in line for a half ton, if the tt is over 28', or any fifth wheel or toy hauler, you will have a much better towing experience with a larger truck. Ask anyone who has experience with both size trucks.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:14 PM   #7
Grammar Pedant

Also, this statement here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by camper70 View Post
[...] Let the debate begin.
makes me think this is just a ruse to start another "you can't tow it with a 1/2 ton" argument. Not sure this is more than just trolling.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
Also, this statement here:makes me think this is just a ruse to start another "you can't tow it with a 1/2 ton" argument. Not sure this is more than just trolling.

Agree
dodgemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
My advice based on just my experience. Even if all the weights are in line for a half ton, if the tt is over 28', or any fifth wheel or toy hauler, you will have a much better towing experience with a larger truck. Ask anyone who has experience with both size trucks.
I would agree and add if your trailer outweighs your truck the same would apply as well.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:38 PM   #10

Sorry 67L48 and dodgemark this is not a trolling effort. I think this is doable but wanted some other opinions. I'm doing just fine with what I have now. We traveled over 6000 miles last winter from Md. to Fl and out to AZ. and back and most of the time I don't know the trailer is back there. We are down in the RGV and will do a tour of Texas while here. I'm using an EQ WDH. I'm more concerned about the added length. I don't know what everyone else drags along but my truck with me the Dw our two bikes a ladder and some clothes hanging on hangers are under 600lbs. This is not counting the hitch and a full tank of gas. The Coachmen trailer I'm pulling now only weighed 4980 from the Factory.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:48 PM   #11
Scoundrel

I have a feeling that when the wind starts to blow sideways across the road and you're pulling a 34ft trailer hooked to the back of your F150, you're going to seriously wish you had a bigger, heavier foot-print of a tow vehicle.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:16 PM   #12
Was

I pull a 34 ft Puma about same weight your’e looking at loaded, 2016 F150 3.5 ecoboost . No problems but I do have a Hensley hitch. I think I’d have sway problems without the Hensley.
Was is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:50 PM   #13

Thanks hang diver for your response. I can see your point. The thing is I was also told by others on here I could not tow what i'm currently towing with a Half Ton. Thanks WAS for the info. I'm comfortable with the Equalizer hitch and have absolutely no sway. I would consider the Hensley if I could be assured it would make a big enough difference to justify the cost. Can anybody share there experience with a similar trailer with an Equalizer Hitch. I'm trying to make this work for the DW. A different truck is not an option.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post

I'd agree with that. I just pulled home a Wildwood 263BHXL, weighing 5830# from Omaha to Des Moines this afternoon, with a 2018 F159, 2,7 ecoboost. OAL is 31'. I'm a grown up farm kid, and I've pulled very heavy things......slowly.

Weight was no problem. Handling and braking (with wdh and electric brakes in place) is no problem. Semi trucks with trailers and buffeting were no problem. A 20 mph cross wind wasn't necessarily a problem, but it added to the pucker factor.

98% of our camping will be within 2 hours of home, back roads, and modest hills to full flat travel, and reduced speeds, so we'll be ok. But If I had any intention of going the big distance, I'd be going to a bigger truck or to a smaller camper.

Just the opinion of a simple man.
jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:53 AM   #15
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Sorry 67L48 and dodgemark this is not a trolling effort. I think this is doable but wanted some other opinions. I'm doing just fine with what I have now. We traveled over 6000 miles last winter from Md. to Fl and out to AZ. and back and most of the time I don't know the trailer is back there. We are down in the RGV and will do a tour of Texas while here. I'm using an EQ WDH. I'm more concerned about the added length. I don't know what everyone else drags along but my truck with me the Dw our two bikes a ladder and some clothes hanging on hangers are under 600lbs. This is not counting the hitch and a full tank of gas. The Coachmen trailer I'm pulling now only weighed 4980 from the Factory.
Just remember the weight of tt from factory does not include the weight of 2 full 30# propane bottles and a battery. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:02 AM   #16

Answer the payload question once and forever. Load her up with a full tank of fuel and all family members and assorted heavy stuff in the bed and visit a Cat scale. $13.00 later you can answer the payload question.

The majority of folks do not understand how the truck companies do their thing because it is goofy. About half a book would not explain it to a non engineer.

My take is you are near capacities. The length of your new trailer sort of is an issue with a 1/2 ton truck. Due to the pucker factor ok for short trips. The 10,000 mile trip to Yellowstone etc. might be stressful.

A fancy, expensive hitch might help. A 3/4 ton diesel would do it in spades. Doing nothing might work.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:15 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Just remember the weight of tt from factory does not include the weight of 2 full 30# propane bottles and a battery. Later RJD
Actually, propane weight has been included in dry weights, since about 2009 or 2010.
It changed because that is a known weight.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:32 PM   #18

Even if your plan does work, the only time you could officially get in trouble is when or if you have a crash. Exceeding payload capacities could be considered negligent in the terrible world of litigation.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:50 PM   #19

Thanks for everyone's help and opinions. I broke the news to the DW today that it is probably not possible without a truck upgrade. No comment from her yet.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:37 PM   #20
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
[...] I'm more concerned about the added length. I don't know what everyone else drags along but my truck with me the Dw our two bikes a ladder and some clothes hanging on hangers are under 600lbs. This is not counting the hitch and a full tank of gas. [...]
If your cargo is 600 lbs, then your total payload is going to be in the 1,600 lb range based on the trailer you are looking at. Your door jamb sticker will tell you what your payload capacity is. You can ignore the gas and other fluids, as that's already baked into the number (driver weight is not).

So, you'll be close, I think, depending on how your truck was built/optioned.

Others will have to comment on your length concern and a few have already voiced concerns over a certain length. That's beyond my experience to comment.

Good luck.

Tags
trailer