Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2017, 01:37 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrell View Post
You will hear different ideas here, but I believe in covers for the slide. It better seals, it keeps foreign items off the roof of the slide which come intoo the trailer when you retract it, and it helps to save the ,roof from deterioration.
Agreed, and we are looking to put slide toppers on the new 5th wheel, but they are pricey and will put a dent in the travel budget. Also, they will make it cooler in the summer as the sun is not directly on the top of the thinner roofed slide, and quieter when it rains also.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:39 PM   #22

We bought a set of walkie talkies to use when backing into a camp site. Works much better so you don't have to always see each other or have to holler at each other.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:45 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo View Post
We bought a set of walkie talkies to use when backing into a camp site. Works much better so you don't have to always see each other or have to holler at each other.
Ding! Ding! Ding!

Short of a backup camera, this is the best way to ensure your relationship doesn't suffer....
Old 03-28-2017, 01:59 PM   #24

I had to laugh at the comment of ensuring our relationship doesn't suffer!

The trailer we bought is backup camera ready, so that will be a purchase later this year or over the winter months for next year. The slide out cover I can see would have quite a few benefits so Ill look into it.

We have all the kitchen essentials, we combined two households a year ago and knew eventually we would want a camper so I saved all of it, we are covered on literally everything that needs to go in a kitchen or bathroom or bedroom, except maybe a fun RV rug outside!

It's the hardware and trailer specific items that seems overwhelming but I think once we get the items, we are good (for the most part, obviously we will collect along the way!)

And I completely agree, Walmart and Amazon seem to be the way to go for just about everything so far! We are getting a starter kit from the dealership that I thought seemed worth it, its $48 for a 10ft blackwater hose, a regular hose, water pressure regulator, some RV TP, the stuff you put in the tank and one other thing (I cant remember, shoulda taken a pic).

From reading someone else's post, we downloaded Voxer last night as a walkie talkie app, but it had too much of a delay on it, walkie talkies might not be a bad idea either, guess we will see how we do with the practice parking first, lol!
Jadenala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #25
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Slide toppers only if you camp in the trees....
slide toppers do reduce the amount of noise during rain storms. Much easier to hear things like the TV and people talking. macerator pump? Never used one in 45 years of camping.

I prefer the rhino system of dump hoses.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:01 PM   #26

I don't think anyone mentioned an EMS. absolutely a must have!
Moogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Slide toppers only if you camp in the trees....
Or where birds and Elephants fly,Snow,within 5 miles of Pine trees that are producing the Yellow Pollen this time of year,helps cool your slide roof,less chance of water coming in around slide seals,don't have to climb ladder to sweep top of slides also many more Pluses than Minus! Youroo!!
Old 03-28-2017, 04:18 PM   #28

Not to sound dumb, but what's an EMS?
Old 03-28-2017, 04:21 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadenala View Post
My boyfriend and I are finally going to pick up our TT next weekend. Because we are brand new to the TT we have a lot of first purchases to get as I know everyone has had to do before us.

The things I know for sure we need are of course the sewer hoses, clean hose, chocks, blocks and all the normal living stuff.

We bought a stabilizer hitch for the trailer so that's covered. One thing I've been trying to read about as much as I can is the slide out cover, how necessary is that to have? I've been looking at as many pics as I can on here to see if folks have one or not and it seems to vary. Thoughts?

And any other major items specific to the trailer I might be overlooking? I've printed out a few different check lists, but sometimes it's better to ask the ones with real experience. Any tips would be appreciated. Really have learned a lot from you guys just by reading. Can't wait to be official FR camper owners!
Jadenals, don't go crazy buying "Stuff" before you pick up the unit! Dealers usually "Give"? things at delivery! Granted most of the time its Not Top Shelf,but you could/maybe trade for Upgrade items! Youroo!!
Old 03-28-2017, 04:35 PM   #30

My $.02

* Slide Toppers....may be nice but to me they're another thing that can break and has to be maintained. I have a nice ladder (Little Giant). Small rechargeable blower (Worx) and a squigee on a telescoping handle. I can use all of these items for other things in addition to cleaning the slide top.

* Best things purchased thus far:

- TPMS (TST brand)
- 17" Blackstone Griddle. Small, light and cooks everything.
- Tool bag with torque wrench and sockets that fit lug nuts and hot water heater anode. Don't forget to buy a breaker bar too! Keep some plastic tie straps of various lengths in there as well as the normal stuff like pliers, wire cutters, screwdrivers, etc. and 3 lb hammer.
- Spare hot water anode rod.
- Lap boards - we tend to eat while in the recliners so these work great!
- Battery cutoff - hopefully will save me from killing my battery. also a theft deterrent
- lock for hitch - another theft deterrent
- Doberman brand alarm. works great. Unbearably loud alarm goes off if anyone enters the camper. 7 second delay. I only enable this when at home as a theft deterrent.
- Andersen jacks and Andersen levelers. These are great. Find their website. Watch the videos.

Amazon is your friend for most of this stuff. I tend to add things that come to mind while camping to my "wishlist" and purchase the last day camping. That way I don't forget to purchase things that I need or that I run out of (tank deodorizer, etc)
seakayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:43 PM   #31
Site Team

unfortunately we didn't get a slide topper on our old HTT.
a year later, we paid double the price to have one installed.

now wouldn't be without one.
our old one is still working perfectly, after over 10 years.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:17 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo View Post
X2 on the Walkie Talkies. BUT. Try them at home before you go out to camp. Most of the newer ones have a delay between pushing the button and transmitting your voice ( it is used to send digital codes for privacy settings). It is a very short delay, but long enough that if you hit the button and immediately yell "STOP" nothing will be heard on the other end and that can result in meeting a tree. Also remember when backing into a spot, check clearance at the top of the TT as well as down at waist level. Some times limbs will be the limiting factor of where you can park.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:18 PM   #33

Don't base your needs on others or you will be sorry. Everyone is different and in our case less is better. Camp a few times and let your style be the guide.
Santini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:12 PM   #34

Phones on speaker is good...assuming you have signal. DW don't argue much, but parking will bring it out. Best rule we have is to run kids/dogs off and DW maintain chatter as backing in. I.E. keep coming/looking good, watch YOUR left/right side, more towards picnic table/elect poke or whatever, little bit more etc.

Practice and be calm. It will save in attorney fees.

On supplies. One might pretend you where cooking at church or something and take needed supplies to perform. One person said to plan meals and take what you need for that. Just a dollar can't be beat for cheap kitchen stuff.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadenala View Post
My boyfriend and I are finally going to pick up our TT next weekend. Because we are brand new to the TT we have a lot of first purchases to get as I know everyone has had to do before us.

The things I know for sure we need are of course the sewer hoses, clean hose, chocks, blocks and all the normal living stuff.

We bought a stabilizer hitch for the trailer so that's covered. One thing I've been trying to read about as much as I can is the slide out cover, how necessary is that to have? I've been looking at as many pics as I can on here to see if folks have one or not and it seems to vary. Thoughts?

And any other major items specific to the trailer I might be overlooking? I've printed out a few different check lists, but sometimes it's better to ask the ones with real experience. Any tips would be appreciated. Really have learned a lot from you guys just by reading. Can't wait to be official FR camper owners!
The most importand thing you MUST BUY FIRST, BEFORE YOU PLUG YOUR TRAILER IN is a Progressive Industries EMS.

Progressive Indistries 30 Amp Electrical Management System w Remote Display from tweetys.com

Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C | RV Energy Management Systems
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:53 PM   #36
Just as confused as you

What I have found over the years is for the driver to get out and walk to the rear then turning to look at the trailer. Walking backward, notice every thing on each side, up and down where you want to put the trailer. Then get back inside and have the person guiding you use arm/hand signals while looking at you. As long as you can see each other all should go smoothly. Arms down at the side with hands up on either side of the face. If the trailer needs to the left, that arm/hand goes down to the left and stays until he/she is satisfied. The other arm/hand is moved forward and back next to their face. Vice versa to turn right. If you need to come straight back, then both hands are moved forward and back next to their face. When you need to stop then the arms/hands go across the chest in a X fashion moving the hands to a upside down V in front of the face then back to X. If doing it in the dark have a flashlight in each hand.
Yes, it looks kind of like directing an airplane to the ramp, but it works.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:23 PM   #37

Cast iron cook ware to me is a must. You can use It inside and over the fire. If you cant cook it in a dutch oven you shouldnt be eating it camping.

Our dealer did give us a cheap starter package it came with a fresh water hose that is good enough for now some tank treatment rv tp and a cheap sewer hose
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:40 PM   #38

The best suggestion I can offer is pack up and camp in your driveway for a weekend, bring a pad and pencil and see what you forgot or want, before traipsing to a campground and finding out your needs.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:03 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Here’s an abbreviated list of things I’ve bought for my TT

Shore power extension cord
Regular house extension cord
Surge suppressor
Various adapters (30A to 50A, 30A to 20A, 20A to 30A…etc)
cable TV cable
Drinking water hose
Water filter
Water pressure regulator
Good quality sewer hose
Sewer hose extension
90 degree dump station adapter
Clear sewer hose adapter (so you know the tank is clean)
Sewer hose stand
Rubber gloves
Dedicated black tank rinse hose
Black tank chemicals
RV safe toilet paper
Lynx leveling blocks
X-Chocks
Carpenters level
Inverting generator (3kW at least)
Portable tire inflator
Lug wrench
Hydraulic bottle jack
Mechanics tool kit
Spare fuses
Spare hitch pins
Towing mirrors
Traffic cones
Flashlight
Road flares

And most important…

A sense of humor

and to add to this nice list

Tool specifically for Hot Water Heater to open the plug when your done camping and drain HWH (Hot Water Heater).

Also some pipe tape and spare Anode Rod if you have a Suburban HWH.

If I end one trip and I am not going right back out, I empty the tank to keep it clean, if I am going back out 1-2 days after first trip, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't up to you. Also get

Cordless Drill for Scissor jacks, makes leveling a whole lot easier. You can get an adapter at Sears, Lowes, HD etc.

Good Luck to you both

I also carry an extra ABC fire extinguisher which I keep outside for grill and fires in case you need one [emoji848]
Old 03-28-2017, 10:47 PM   #40

Thank you again everyone, we appreciate the advice!