Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2017, 11:46 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
I disagree. Slide covers are a nice to have. I don't have covers and all I do is make sure the slide tops are free from debris before closing.
X2. Nice but not essential.But is IS important that you check your slide every time you close it to make sure the top is clear of debris.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:15 AM   #42

I never go anywhere without my red Andersen Levelers. Best damned leveling system I've ever seen. Get yourself two of them and you'll save many hours of aggrevation leveling your TT.
D-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:48 AM   #43
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
I never go anywhere without my red Andersen Levelers. Best damned leveling system I've ever seen. Get yourself two of them and you'll save many hours of aggrevation leveling your TT.
I prefer lynx levelers. I place my phone with clinometer app running on the bumper and get an exact count of how many blocks I need and on which side. I then just stack the correct amount of blocks in front of the tires and pull forward until its resting on top. Takes 5 min.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:16 AM   #44

Quote:
I prefer lynx levelers. I place my phone with clinometer app running on the bumper and get an exact count of how many blocks I need and on which side. I then just stack the correct amount of blocks in front of the tires and pull forward until its resting on top. Takes 5 min.
I can level my TT in under a minute with my Andersens half-moon levels. Place them in front or behind the wheels, drive back or ahead a little and then put the chocks in. Takes just seconds to drive off them and put them away. You can also use one as a jack to change a flat tire, take only a few minutes. I tried leveling blocks, hated them. Takes up too much space and picking them all up and putting them away was a pain.
D-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:19 PM   #45

Another tool

Jadenala,

I do not know how good your boyfriend's back is but mine is not the best. One tool that I use every time we set up camp is a 1/2 inch DeWalt cordless drill. I have a socket, generally available at many RV stores, that fits on the ends of the stabilizing jacks. Jacks go down in a whiz and far less time spent bending over with the manual wrench. About my favorite tool. Has other uses, too. But primarily for the jacks going up and down. One charge gets the jacks up and down for one trip but I always have an extra charged battery just in case.

Welcome and enjoy.

By the way, a few years ago, we bought an inexpensive set of duplex headset walkie talkies. Duplex means constant on and you can hold a regular conversation without having to press buttons to transmit. Love them. Put on the headset every time I am backing into a spot. Wife watches the corners I cannot see. Probably saved us some thousands in repairs. Been several near misses which would have been not good but for the headsets and instant communication.
MacII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:06 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacII View Post
Jadenala,

I do not know how good your boyfriend's back is but mine is not the best. One tool that I use every time we set up camp is a 1/2 inch DeWalt cordless drill. I have a socket, generally available at many RV stores, that fits on the ends of the stabilizing jacks. Jacks go down in a whiz and far less time spent bending over with the manual wrench. About my favorite tool. Has other uses, too. But primarily for the jacks going up and down. One charge gets the jacks up and down for one trip but I always have an extra charged battery just in case.

Welcome and enjoy.

By the way, a few years ago, we bought an inexpensive set of duplex headset walkie talkies. Duplex means constant on and you can hold a regular conversation without having to press buttons to transmit. Love them. Put on the headset every time I am backing into a spot. Wife watches the corners I cannot see. Probably saved us some thousands in repairs. Been several near misses which would have been not good but for the headsets and instant communication.

Besides the wallow talkies we use our iPhones she calls me I use Hands Free in the Truck while she stays off to the side and lets me know how we are with the 3 slideouts, works well and I can focus on backing up without having to hold anything. If you do FaceTime she can show me video of where I am and what it looks like works better then a backup camera, Just Love My DW
Old 03-29-2017, 03:20 PM   #47

Awesome advice! We actually have electric stabilizer jacks throughout so that should help a bit. We figure we will use cell phone or hand signals for now, may end up with walkie talkie's but this summer will be an expensive summer anyway getting all the first time purchases just for the TT. It's good to have goals, lol.
Jadenala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:10 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadenala View Post
Awesome advice! We actually have electric stabilizer jacks throughout so that should help a bit. We figure we will use cell phone or hand signals for now, may end up with walkie talkie's but this summer will be an expensive summer anyway getting all the first time purchases just for the TT. It's good to have goals, lol.

Yep when I first started it was a $500.00 bill this year with the New 5th wheel since we own it outright and plan on keeping it I am not going cheap on Upgrades so far this one is in the $2,00.00 range, but that includes a second AC in bedroom
Old 03-29-2017, 07:40 PM   #49
Site Team

Quote:

I need to check this app out. How does it tell you how many blocks? Like "You need 2 blocks"? Or do you need to do the math? Sorry but no husband to explain this to me.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:15 AM   #50
Insert witty title here

New TT equipment questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
I need to check this app out. How does it tell you how many blocks? Like "You need 2 blocks"? Or do you need to do the math? Sorry but no husband to explain this to me.

It's math, but very simple. Every 0.6 degrees of tilt requires 1 block provided that your camper is as wide as mine.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:49 AM   #51

Sounds like pretty decent logic, I'll be checking that out myself.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:40 AM   #52

If $25 for walkie talkies isn't in the budget you may want to re-think a travel trailer.
Santini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:51 AM   #53

I appreciate the advice although I'm not sure how helpful that was... I think we will manage fine. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2017, 10:04 AM   #54

...but remember

Quote:
I appreciate the advice although I'm not sure how helpful that was... I think we will manage fine. Thanks!
Lotta' good advice from some good forum people. After a trip or two, you'll know what you need, what you don't and what you're going buy next. Most important piece of advice? Have fun!

Days camping previous years: Not Enough
Days camping in 2021: Still Not Enough
MaineCampingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:08 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Joe View Post
The best suggestion I can offer is pack up and camp in your driveway for a weekend, bring a pad and pencil and see what you forgot or want, before traipsing to a campground and finding out your needs.
X2 if you can do this in your driveway, but most of us don't have a 50A connection at home. And x2 on getting what you need for your style of camping, not everything everyone else says. We took several very close to home camping weekend trips before we went very far on a trip. Close to home is close enough you can go get a tool you find you need, go to Wally World and pick up a hose you need without ruining a trip, or call the dealer to ask how to make something work because you forgot how to operate it when he was telling you about the 157 features of the RV.
I agree also with several others on getting a EMS (Energy Management System) very soon; we had pulled in to an overnight campground last year and found the shore power at the post was not good before we connected the trailer. I have the older model Progressive Industries EMSPT50C Surge Protectors and really like the ability to take it and connect before we back into a spot if the park looks sketchy on maintenance. Some like to install the built-in types but I just moved mine to a new RV and didn't have to re-purchase this expensive accessory.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:13 AM   #56

Quote:
LOL! I have a folder with receipts for everything we have bought for the RV(s). I have not, and will never total the receipts! While I don't have a bad heart, it would be a test nevertheless!
Old 03-30-2017, 10:27 AM   #57
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Sounds like pretty decent logic, I'll be checking that out myself.
My camper has 2 slides, both on the same side. I will actually block my camper up in such a way that the slide side is 1" higher so when the slides are opened, it settles back level.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:45 AM   #58

@MaineCampingFan - I completely agree, I have learned so much just from this thread let alone from the many forum posts here. I just didn't think making the statement not to get a travel trailer because I don't feel I need walkie talkies at this point was very nice, lol. But I get it, everyone has an opinion and each person will know whats best for their situation, that's why I just take it all in. And you can certainly tell how passionate everyone is with what the knowledge they share, one of the many reasons I decided to post and maybe even later be more involved.

@D_B Travelers - I can't even imagine the amount we will spend when all is said and done, although, it will probably never be done. You are essentially buying a whole 'nother home on wheels, pretty exciting stuff! We are going to check into the EMS for sure, sounds like a pretty big essential item from what I've been reading so far...
Old 03-30-2017, 10:48 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
X2 if you can do this in your driveway, but most of us don't have a 50A connection at home. And x2 on getting what you need for your style of camping, not everything everyone else says. We took several very close to home camping weekend trips before we went very far on a trip. Close to home is close enough you can go get a tool you find you need, go to Wally World and pick up a hose you need without ruining a trip, or call the dealer to ask how to make something work because you forgot how to operate it when he was telling you about the 157 features of the RV.
I agree also with several others on getting a EMS (Energy Management System) very soon; we had pulled in to an overnight campground last year and found the shore power at the post was not good before we connected the trailer. I have the older model Progressive Industries EMSPT50C Surge Protectors and really like the ability to take it and connect before we back into a spot if the park looks sketchy on maintenance. Some like to install the built-in types but I just moved mine to a new RV and didn't have to re-purchase this expensive accessory.
I never thought about prechecking out site with portable unit. That is a good idea. I was thinking of hardwired to prevent theft.

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:51 AM   #60

Quote:
My camper has 2 slides, both on the same side. I will actually block my camper up in such a way that the slide side is 1" higher so when the slides are opened, it settles back level.
Yes, our Windjammer 3001W has two super slides on one side also. We bought a 12" level with markings for 1/8" and 1/4" off center; we learned to set up 1/8" per foot high on the slide side, and then it would be level once we pushed out and settled for a couple of hours. Just a trick you learn after about 3 campouts.