Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2010, 04:56 PM   #1

"New" with no clue

I'm New to The camping world,I never owned anything that is used to camp.I purchased a trailer it will be 6 weeks before I get it.So I thought I start buying things for the trailer so i'll be ready.

What are some of the most important things I Will need to purchase for My Rockwood 2604SS.
Uwantmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hello, Welcome, and congrats on the new camper. Don't purchase too much too fast. Make sure you know what is "included" in your deal. Hitch to tow with, water and sewer pipe, electric cord with adapters. Mine came with some of all this. Now, pots, pans dishes, dish washing soap, towels, bath accessories, personal hygiene, we have all this just for our camper. Start slow and see what you need. Camp in the driveway a few times, and have a list in the camper. Everything you have to go in the house and get, put on the list for the camper. Practice makes perfect, and there's no better place to practice than home. You may want to use the bathroom in the house, if you can't dump the tanks on the camper nearby. Good luck.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the post but my trailer is gone to be stored elsewhere,I will not fit down my street very tight.I no it comes with all hitch work and a cheap starter kit.Everything else is needed.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
Arn
Arn

Congrats. Great floorplan. Make sure you get a good hitch. I use Reese Dual Cam. Given your tow vehicle make sure you don't go cheap.
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #5

I purchased the Reese Dual Cam!
Old 09-12-2010, 07:22 PM   #6

The starter kits usually have enough chemicals for a weekend or two and only one roll of toilet paper. If you buy toilet paper at your local store make sure it's 1-ply and septic safe. The sewer hose is a cheap one, so I suggest a Rhino brand. Get some disposable gloves to wear when handling the sewer hose.

I don't know where you'll be camping, but you might want to pick up a 50 to 30 amp adapter just in case.

Wal Mart carries a decent supply of camping supplies at a reasonable price. If you can't find what you need there you can probably get it at your dealers.

I have bought several items online, RV Wholsalers. Here's a link.
The Original RV Wholesalers - RV Sales, RV Parts, RV Dealer, Camper Sales, Rockwood Camper, Travel Trailer, Fifth Wheel, Forest River

A portable grill is nice to have. We use paper plates and things like that alot. Of course you'll need all the other normal kitchen items plus all the bedding and bath items as well.

Other items to consider, electric tongue jack, max air vent covers, mud dauber screens for the frig, furnace and water heater and some x-wheel chocks. The kind that fit between the tires.

I forgot to mention a potable water hose (white).

The best way to find out what you need is to go camping. You'll find out pretty quick what you need and what you don't need.

Hope this helps and happy camping.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
Site Team

what will you be towing with? your TV may need some things.

get some kind of tandem wheel chocks. i made my own out of 4x4 wood and threaded stock for around $12.
BAL and RotoChoks are popular manufactured ones.
i use Odorlos for the black tank and am pleased so far.
i use Lynx Levelers to level the trailer.
check out your local Super Walmart. they often have a great RV section in Automotive. i bought most of my starter stuff there.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:34 AM   #8

Water pressure regulator, preset or adjustable. Tiedowns for your awning, spare tire for the camper and it's good to carry a 4-way lug wrench.
When you use the toilet send down planty of water as you flush, this will help get eveything deep into the black water tank and will make it easier to clean out when it's time to dump and make sure you have water in the bowl itself this will help with odors from the tank because there is no "P" trap in the toilet.....Just a few thing you might need to know....
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:44 AM   #9

Make your first trip close to home so you can go get stuff you forgot. Or camp near a Wal-mart for the same reason. We stocked our trailer with old things that we no longer needed in the house(gave wife an excuse to go shopping)

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:05 AM   #10

Maxxair vent covers are a must. Buy them before you leave the vent open and get water damage.
Mike001 is offline   Reply With Quote