Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2020, 06:29 AM   #41

oops
pojp58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:46 AM   #42
DaLexusGuy

Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS

Coachmen Freedom Express 192 RBS.

The 192RBS was an absolutely fabulous unit. Great size, layout and solidly built. I had nothing at all to fix under warranty.

A couple points not yet discussed/considered here:

1) The sidewalls on this unit are made from Azdel, rather than Luan. This special composite wall is not prone to delamination, like Luan is. A huge selling point and differentiator when it comes time to resell.

2) The full queen bed. You may not need it but what about resale?

3) We had ours for just over a year when my wife decided we needed to move to a Class C. It sold in one weekend for more than we paid originally. Very unusual in a business where you are supposed to be upside down 30 percent when you drive it off the lot.

I like the New Motorhome but I would have been just fine to keep the 192RBS long-term.
LeoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:59 AM   #43

We purchased our rv from a discount outlet. Happens to be 50 miles away.

Saved money.

Keep in mind returning to a dealer for warantee work is moderately awful!

I was able to address all issues following an in depth PDI for minimal cost. You have to be handy! Rvís are complicated beasts..

You are in a land like bicycles. The rv company assembles parts with separate warranties.

Keep shopping. We had a sudden change in plans when the DW discovered rv king beds and a washer dryer!

Have fun.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:35 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzilch View Post
Thanks to everyone for the advice, I have two dealers within a reasonable distance, about 75 miles in opposite directions, hopefully, they will compete for my business. I'm about 5'7" so other than the sheet size do you think I would notice the difference in beds?
I'm joining the party late....
Don't base your decision just on bed size that comes with it. If you are going full time, or even extended time, you are going to replace the mattress. As long as a "normal" queen will fit on the bed location you should be all set. Buy a residential mattress as soon as you can, it will be well worth it.

Days Traveled:2021-51 / 2020-43 / 2019-37 / 2018-30
CentralMePistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:06 AM   #45

Quality and beds

I had to fix a few minor things in our Rockwood when it was new, but nothing really major. Other than that, we are very happy with our TT's quality. I agree with those who say you should be very vigilant during your walk through with the dealer, and check everything. I would also suggest making a list of things to check before visiting the dealer, especially if your memory is as bad as mine. The bed in the master bedroom was horrible (pretty common problem) but with a 3 inch memory foam topper it's now more comfortable than the bed in our house.
Happy trails!

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:39 AM   #46

Hey Retiring Newbie CONGRATS
I am trading a 2018 Rockwood 2507s on a new 2614bs just waiting. The new one will be my third Rockwood. The first year I had the 2507 I did have a number of problems. My dealer was not at all helpful or capable to fix the problems. BUT the factory in Indiana was amazing. Because of trip timing issues for me I opted to tow it 6 hours to the repair facility. It was repaired and back home with me in a week. They paid all my costs. Yes it cost me my time but to get the trailer back quickly I chose this route. What I'm trying to say is although there were problems when I first got the trailer the Rockwood factory stepped up repaired the trailer properly and paid my expenses in a short period of time. I was impressed by what they did for me and their workmanship. Thus they have a loyal customer in me.
Spragueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:21 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
We purchased our rv from a discount outlet. Happens to be 50 miles away.

Saved money.

Keep in mind returning to a dealer for warantee work is moderately awful!

I was able to address all issues following an in depth PDI for minimal cost. You have to be handy! Rvís are complicated beasts..

You are in a land like bicycles. The rv company assembles parts with separate warranties.

Keep shopping. We had a sudden change in plans when the DW discovered rv king beds and a washer dryer!

Have fun.

They seem a lot simpler than wrenching on vehicles, just the wiring alone on a modern vehicle is mind boggling.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:23 AM   #48
Trailer Park Supervisor

That's a fact. But you still need to know a thing or two about a thing or two plumbing and electric.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:41 AM   #49

It's like working on a teeny tiny house... well for us it will be. Some people have RV's almost as big as our 1100sqft ranch.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:39 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazman View Post
I had to fix a few minor things in our Rockwood when it was new, but nothing really major. Other than that, we are very happy with our TT's quality. I agree with those who say you should be very vigilant during your walk through with the dealer, and check everything. I would also suggest making a list of things to check before visiting the dealer, especially if your memory is as bad as mine. The bed in the master bedroom was horrible (pretty common problem) but with a 3 inch memory foam topper it's now more comfortable than the bed in our house.
Happy trails!
A 3" memory foam topper from Costco has made my 192RBS bed so comfortable that I don't want to get out of it! Another perk of getting a residential 60x80 bed is that the topper fits perfectly.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:47 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
A 3" memory foam topper from Costco has made my 192RBS bed so comfortable that I don't want to get out of it! Another perk of getting a residential 60x80 bed is that the topper fits perfectly.
10X^^^^^^!!!!
Old 01-31-2020, 12:34 PM   #52

Whether a boat or an RV....make sure the bed is a std Queen or King and that it is mostly a walk around so your partner does not have to crawl over you and you can change the sheets and make up the bed easily. Trying to replace custom sized mattresses is time consuming and expensive. A regular size bed is too small for a couple long term... Here is link to Rockwoods and Flagstaffs 25FBLS (just under 26 ft). By the way, other important considerations are, can you get to the bathroom when the slideout is closed. This unit has the largest bathroom of any unit, A large pass thru storage is also essential and 2 house bats plus solar panels on the roof. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post2194710
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:13 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzilch View Post
Getting ready to retire and see the country. After so much research and confusion, we have landed on this floorplan and this company. I have no idea if one is better quality than the other or if they are all the same trailer with different branding. I see no difference? Which should we buy? Coachman 192rbs, Forrest River 21fbrs or Rockwood 2109s? Thanks in advance for the advice to the first of many questions I'm sure.
The Forest River (Flagstaff 21fbrs) and Rockwood 2109s (also made by Forest River), appear to by identical floor plans, weight, length etc. I would go with whichever one I could get the better deal on or if you could find a good conditioned 2 or 3 year old model and save thousands, is what I did. I've had my 2016 Forest River Surveyor (bought used) for two years with no problems whatsoever. I bit of advice. Buy local if you can. Many dealers won't service your TT unless they sold it to you, especially warranty work. Mine was out of warranty so it didn't matter.
the Coachman 192rbs (also made by Forest River is somewhat smaller with less storage space. I was considering it until I found my Surveyor 201rbs at a better deal and considerably more storage space, especially in the rear bath. It even has more bathroom storage (linen, clothes, etc.) than the Flagstaff or Rockwood. Good luck and happy camping.
pwrriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:23 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazman View Post
Happy trails!
Ditto on the 3" memory foam topper. I purchased ours at a Walmart on our very first outing. Fortunately there was a Walmart 20 miles from the campground so we only had one night on the factory mattress. You don't need a whole new mattress. the queen size 3" toppers are a little over 4200 at Walmart. A friend of mine drove all the way back to Minnesota from California to buy theirs and ended up buy the memory foam topper at a Walmart on their second day return trip. then they had trouble getting warranty work done at dealers here in Northern California. Fortunately, your dealers are only 50 miles from your home.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:40 PM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrriver View Post
A friend of mine drove all the way back to Minnesota from California to buy theirs and ended up buy the memory foam topper at a Walmart on their second day return trip. then they had trouble getting warranty work done at dealers here in Northern California. Fortunately, your dealers are only 50 miles from your home.
We bought our first new HTT, from a Chicago dealer and drove from Napa, California and back. A 4000 mile roundtrip drive.
FR found us three local NorCal dealers willing to do the warranty work. The only caveat was we knew we wouldn't be first in line for work. No problem for us because we dropped it off in November and said just have it done by March. That way we got 4 months free storage.
Never had any issues getting warranty work done and everything that needed fixing, got fixed. One of the dealers didn't even sell any FR products.
And we still could've used independent RV shops or mobile RV tech. We just had to get pre-approval from FR and be willing to be reimbursed.
We would happily make the same trip again, if the savings were substantial.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:48 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralMePistol View Post
I'm joining the party late....
Don't base your decision just on bed size that comes with it. If you are going full time, or even extended time, you are going to replace the mattress. As long as a "normal" queen will fit on the bed location you should be all set. Buy a residential mattress as soon as you can, it will be well worth it.
The full size queen could be a final decision maker. Easier to fit the sheets, memory foam topper and a plus for resale.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:53 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldereaglewatcher View Post
We have a 2017 Rockwood 2109S, and we love it! Some of the things I wish were different have already been changed on the new models (like a linen closet above the toilet for instance). I agree with the person who said to make sure you get a really good orientation. Ours lasted 1.5 hours, and I took notes and photos. It has helped us several times. Only thing I don't like is the sofa - not very comfortable sitting for an evening.
My wife video taped our walkthrough on her phone. Best idea ever.
thedarkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:58 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoS View Post
Coachmen Freedom Express 192 RBS.

The 192RBS was an absolutely fabulous unit. Great size, layout and solidly built. I had nothing at all to fix under warranty.

A couple points not yet discussed/considered here:

1) The sidewalls on this unit are made from Azdel, rather than Luan. This special composite wall is not prone to delamination, like Luan is. A huge selling point and differentiator when it comes time to resell.

2) The full queen bed. You may not need it but what about resale?

3) We had ours for just over a year when my wife decided we needed to move to a Class C. It sold in one weekend for more than we paid originally. Very unusual in a business where you are supposed to be upside down 30 percent when you drive it off the lot.

I like the New Motorhome but I would have been just fine to keep the 192RBS long-term.
I'm going to amend a privious reply I made on the 192rbs. The layout on the Coachman 192rbs versus the Rockwood 2109s and Forest River 21fbrs seem to be identical execpt for the 192rbs is the only one with a full size 60x80 queen. Probably sacrificed the length of the sofa being only about 64 inches versus 72 nches on the other two TT. Unless your going to have an adult or tall teenager sleeping on the sofa, I would go with the full size queen. That's a big plus for us. All three TT's are made my Forest River. Bottom line, Find the best deal as all three are so similar.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:06 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
We bought our first new HTT, from a Chicago dealer and drove from Napa, California and back. A 4000 mile roundtrip drive.
FR found us three local NorCal dealers willing to do the warranty work. The only caveat was we knew we wouldn't be first in line for work. No problem for us because we dropped it off in November and said just have it done by March. That way we got 4 months free storage.
Never had any issues getting warranty work done and everything that needed fixing, got fixed. One of the dealers didn't even sell any FR products.
And we still could've used independent RV shops or mobile RV tech. We just had to get pre-approval from FR and be willing to be reimbursed.
We would happily make the same trip again, if the savings were substantial.
Ditto, to the above comments. But if you're going to travel that far, make sure to enjoy the journey, as I was going to drive to Iowa to get one to save about $3,000 but he sold it a week before my planned trip.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:13 PM   #60
Site Team

Just a comment.
Forest River doesn't make any RVs, their divisions make RVs.
Just like Thor Industries. Thor doesn't make Montana or JayFlight trailers, Keystone and Jayco do.
Just like Thor Industries' acquired divisions, Jayco and Keystone, some of FR's divisions, like Coachmen and Dynamax, operate independently. They were acquired by Forest River Inc because they were struggling during the Recession.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, newbie