Old 01-24-2020, 04:20 PM   #1

Newbie Dazed and Confused!

Getting ready to retire and see the country. After so much research and confusion, we have landed on this floorplan and this company. I have no idea if one is better quality than the other or if they are all the same trailer with different branding. I see no difference? Which should we buy? Coachman 192rbs, Forrest River 21fbrs or Rockwood 2109s? Thanks in advance for the advice to the first of many questions I'm sure.

jzilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:21 PM   #2

I'm partial to Rockwood. Seems to be better quality.

007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:37 PM   #3

Just a thought, identical floor planned FR & Rockwood's run down the same production line. The only differences are the grafix & interior fabric colors. Example: FR's Flagstaff A-frame T21TBHW is the same unit as FR's Rockwood A213HW.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:34 PM   #4

We have owned both, enjoyed them,and pretty much no major problems.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:05 PM   #5
Multi-Slacker

Welcome from SoCal!
2018 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L, 4:10 rear
Prodigy P3 Brake Controller
Andersen WDH / 2700 lb 2.5" Receiver

CurtPutnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:11 PM   #6

Not familiar with those particular trailers but from my past experience I would suggest that you buy from a dealer that is reasonably close to where you live. I that first year you may find a need to take it in for warranty work and traveling a 100+ miles to drop it off, go home, return to pick it up and then drag it home is a PIA! The other option is get what you want from where ever you get the best deal and then us an independent shop for warranty work - but that adds an extra step to the process. You have to get the work approved before the independent shop can start working on it.
Two shedding mutts
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:27 PM   #7

so the floor plans seem to be equal. now go make an inventory of all the equipment you get with each one to see if there any significant differences.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:04 PM   #8
Trailer Park Supervisor

To ease your confusion, Rockwood and Flagstaff are exactly the same, just different names/labelling, so dealers in close proximity to each other can sell the same trailers and not give the appearance of being in direct competition with each other in the buyers eyes (so I was told). My observations of both brands of the same model at an RV show confirmed they are the same, with VERY minor details that are different (like upholstery shade, maybe flooring color).
Old 01-24-2020, 08:32 PM   #9

The Freedom Express 192RBS has three extra inches of headroom and a residential-size 60x80 queen bed. Important for us tall people. Some of those you mentioned may come with a 60x74 RV queen bed. Even if you're short, getting sheets for a 60x80 bed is much easier and much cheaper because you can go to any store that sells bedding and get sheets there. Custom sheets for a 60x74 are harder to find and much more expensive.
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.6L 4.10
2020 KZ 130RBSE
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:25 AM   #10

Thanks to everyone for the advice, I have two dealers within a reasonable distance, about 75 miles in opposite directions, hopefully, they will compete for my business. I'm about 5'7" so other than the sheet size do you think I would notice the difference in beds?
jzilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:40 AM   #11

We have the 192 RBS and have been very satisfied. Plenty of room (Someone mentioned head room, which I very nice), has plenty of pass through storage, and plenty of inside storage. I added shelves to all the cabinets, and when we travel, we have plenty of extra storage left over. We opted for the 8 cu ft fridge and have plenty of room for beer AND food! We’ve had zero issues with the trailer. As far as quality, I we’ve looked all three of the trailers you mentioned. I don’t think there’s much of a quality difference between them.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:48 AM   #12
Trailer Park Supervisor

I'm 5'7" and fit fine in our Murphy bed, which is a slightly shortened version of a full size bed. As far as sheets, I buy regular full size sheets and tuck any extra under the foot of mattress. I do not buy special sheets.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:58 AM   #13

Best Advice

Pick one! MAKE THEM TEACH YOU EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW ABOUT THE CAMPER. Next. Before you sign any papers MAKE them test everything in front of you. Key word in FRONT of You. Make your deal. DO not drive off lot until you are satisfied with the dealer results. IF they refuse to do this small request walk away. Don't experience the bad that most of us have. I'm trying to make sure all new folks are protected.Just last week a friend of mine did some research to find their dream camper. They looked and looked and looked then decided on what they like. They then went to dealer close to their home and bought the camper of their dreams. Carried it home ONLY to find the one thing they wanted it did not have. The automatic landing which was on the campers they looked at. So they ended up getting a camper that was not what they really wanted but now the papers are signed and they are stuck with it. Don't be that person. Carry a friend or a camper friend with you to help assist. Good Luck in your new camper. I love my camper and I love camping with my family. The one negative thing about camping was dealing with dealers and warranty work and quality of camper. Other than that if you can get past that you'll make memories.
Tim Coltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:34 AM   #14

a word of caution on both the flagstaff and rockwood both have very uncomfortable jackknife sofas and with the way they are designed makes it a major task to find (build ) something more comfortable, we had an 21fbrs, loved the camper hated the sofa
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:29 AM   #15
Trailer Park Supervisor

I guess it depends on how long you plant your butt on it, lol. I have a sofa that folds down so a Murphy bed comes down on it in my Rockwood (is that a jackknife sofa? you lift seat up, and pull it towards you, then seat back starts to fold down). Fine with me. Not as great as my home sofa, but fine for camping.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I guess it depends on how long you plant your butt on it, lol. I have a sofa that folds down so a Murphy bed comes down on it in my Rockwood (is that a jackknife sofa? you lift seat up, and pull it towards you, then seat back starts to fold down). Fine with me. Not as great as my home sofa, but fine for camping.
i would think that is a jackknife soft, but trust me if you had the same we had you would be doing everything possible to get rid of it there is a super long thread on this in the Minilite microlight section
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:51 PM   #17

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
I'm partial to Rockwood. Seems to be better quality.
I agree on Rockwood.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:44 PM   #18

Sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The Freedom Express 192RBS has three extra inches of headroom and a residential-size 60x80 queen bed. Important for us tall people. Some of those you mentioned may come with a 60x74 RV queen bed. Even if you're short, getting sheets for a 60x80 bed is much easier and much cheaper because you can go to any store that sells bedding and get sheets there. Custom sheets for a 60x74 are harder to find and much more expensive.
Weve had a short queen sized bed both in our motor home and in the fifth wheel we owned prior. Ive never bought specialty sheets. Regular queen sheets just tuck under the mattress easily. No issue
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:46 PM   #19

Before you buy

Suggestion. Do more than a "walk through" before buying. Tell the sales person that, while you are checking it out, they are free to work with others because you will be in it for a couple of hours.

Take the time to lay on the bed for 5-10 minutes to check its comfort level. Sit on the couch for 10 minutes while just looking around, cloesly, at the interior. Sit at the dining table for 10 minutes to see if that is acceptable. "Pretend" you are fixing a meal and see if there is actually enough room. Write out a list of everything you figure you will need refrigerator space for then check out how much space exists. Do the same for clothes and everything else you need storage space for. Stand in the shower and see if it has enough room.

Next, go outside and check storage space, note how much is in front of the axle and how much is behind. This will play an important part on tongue weight and how much you can place in the storage on a trailer.

More areas to ask about. How easy is the access to the water pump, filter system if there is one, converter to keep the batteries charged, breaker and fuse panel, manual recovery if you have a slideout and it quits working, where is the plugin for the fridge, is the television 12 volt or 110, are the lights standard or LED, and where are all of the drains and valves needed for winterizing.

Look at the tongue plate, on a tt, and it will tell you the max tongue weight allowed. Exceed that weight, and the tongue collapses, and it's your fault, not the manufacturers. Determine how much you can add, like more batteries or more, and bigger, propane tanks before you spend the money on something you can't use.

Will you be spending most of your time in "improved" campgrounds, with power, water and dump station, or in "dry camping" where there might be water available? That will determine if you might want to use 6 volt deep cycle batteries, set up a good solar power system and get a generator big enough to run things like the A/C, microwave, hair blow driers and keep the batteries full when not enough sun is available.

Finally, for trailer towing, the size of the tow vehicle (TV). Make sure that the TV is strong enough to tow thru mountains without problems. More importantly, make sure it is able to handle stopping in a safe manner and the suspension is in control of the trailer, not the other way around.

Before "heading out" for the first time get some traffic cones, (Home Depot and others have those), go to a wide open parking lot, set up some corners to go around and to back into, "slam" on the brakes, at low speed of course, to get the "feel" on how much longer it takes to stop and to make sure the brakes are properly adjusted.

The driving thru, and backing thru, the curves will help you be more aware of how much more space you need to maneuver compared to the car. (I mention that because I've seen more than a few rigs ripped along the side from turning too "tight" and dragging against trees, light and power poles and other parked rigs.)

Towing is easy as long as you do some practice and practice patience.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:51 PM   #20

2109S

We have a 2017 Rockwood 2109S, and we love it! Some of the things I wish were different have already been changed on the new models (like a linen closet above the toilet for instance). I agree with the person who said to make sure you get a really good orientation. Ours lasted 1.5 hours, and I took notes and photos. It has helped us several times. Only thing I don't like is the sofa - not very comfortable sitting for an evening.

Eldereaglewatcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, newbie