Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2008, 08:21 PM   #1

Question newbie: need help rockwood 2003,M2602

First time buyer, I can't believe I found this site last night been looking to buy a used rockwood been looking for a time now found a 2003 model2602 for $10,900 on a car lot is this a good price and what things do I need to look for before trying to buy. have only seen picture on internet but going to look at in a few days....... will be pulling with 1999 chevy 2wd v8 3.42 with towing package and also a 2002 tahoe 4x4 with towing package..........need help.......
1999chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:34 AM   #2

I am not sure about the price that they are asking, but your 1999 Chevy that has a tow package should have a 3.73 rear as a minimum. The 3.43 rear I believe is what is called a high speed rear. High speed rears are design for fuel economy, but minimal towing. You can double check by calling your local GM dealer ( Parts Department ) and give them the VIN number to you vehicle and they can tell you everything about the drive train and it's capability If it is Factory installed. As far as the TT, you need to know what the weight is, full load, not dry weight.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:29 AM   #3
Site Team

Nadaguides list that unit at $9600 average so your not too far off. It should weigh about 5000 lbs GVW is a bit over 6k. Look up your TV's specs and make sure they can handle it.

Take a digital camera with you and take pictures of any questionable areas. Then you can post them here and we can tell you if you should be concerned.

Things you need to look for:

Inspect the roof for tears and caulking cracks that would indicate leaking. Minor hairline cracks in the caulking are usually not an issue but need to be taken care of right away.

Inspect the exterior sides for signs of bubbling indicating delamination.

Operate every electrical item you can. (slide, water pump, lights, fans, etc)

Operate every propane item you can (stove, fridge, furnace and water heater).

Check tires for uneven wear and air pressure.

Hook it to the TV if possible and make sure the lights and brakes work.

These and just a good general overall inspection should give you an idea what shape the unit is in.

You can search this site for Ky-Dan's posts that has a PDI (predelivery inspection) list and use that as a go-by. This is not a new unit but a lot of the items still apply.