Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2020, 04:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifestylers View Post
I carry pancake elect compressor that can produce at least 135 PSI, anything less is crap a far as inflating anything over 100psi. I don't worry about having 12volt compressor, if my diesel runs I can also fill the tires via the air chuck on the coach. I know nothing about your unit if it has air bags or air breaks, so might not be of any use to you.
The originator of the thread has a Lexington 283, Ford E chassis. Maximum pressure they will need is 80 PSI. No need for “inflating anything over 100psi”.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
The originator of the thread has a Lexington 283, Ford E chassis. Maximum pressure they will need is 80 PSI. No need for “inflating anything over 100psi”.
I would add though, that you will probably not get the pressure you need out of most self-serve air pumps (sometimes coin operated, sometimes free) at gas stations. They are often only geared towards passenger cars and will top off around 60 psi, if not even lower. This supports several of the other poster's idea that a portable air pump would go a long way to making sure you are self sufficient.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:39 AM   #23

Shy away from rear dually valve extensions that tee into one fill connection. If one tire has a problem they both do.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:09 AM   #24

Thanks for so many great tire pressure tips

I really appreciate all

Jerry
Lexington 283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:44 PM   #25

Certified

You should always buy a ‘certified’ tire pressure gauge.
Yes there is such a thing.
menekaunee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:36 PM   #26

I have a Viar compressor that stays in my TT all of the time. I have used it many times on other people's equipment but rarely on my own. I have a TPMS on the TT. Before we leave on a trip, I check the tire pressure with a gauge and compare it to the TPMS. It makes me feel good to do a physical check.
Here in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa we have Kwik Trip stations. If they have a diesel island, their FREE air compressors are faster and get higher pressure than the compressors next to the building intended for cars.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:48 PM   #27

Or you could just not over analyze it and adjust the warmer side a couple pounds lower than the cooler side. You all make it sound like there might be some catastrophic failure by missing the proper inflation by a couple pounds. There will be times when you need to check the pressure but the tires are not cold. You don't actually have to park the rig until the tires are cooled off. Do you think a tire shop or any mechanic will tell you to wait until the tires cool if you pull in to have them checked?

I will be replacing my tires this summer but they are about 12 years old. Never had a flat on either of my trailers.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:48 PM   #28

Les Schwab Tire Stores encourage you to bring your RV to their shops, and they’ll fill up the air correctly and for free!!!!
Doc Burry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:39 PM   #29

A good tire shop is your best friend. Have them inspect and rotate your dual rear tires so the valve stems fase each other. Makes it easier to check pressures and air up tires without moving the vehicle.

I have never had any luck with those portable 12 v. air compressors. Always seemed cheap to me. I am sure there are good ones. I just had a 200psi compressor with 3 gal holding tank installed on my truck. Easy to add to your rig. Couple hundred dollars. Have an outlet near the middle of your rig with a 50 ft. hose. Mo matter where you are--at home or on the interstate in the middle of nowhere -- it's always pressurized and always ready. You don't have to do anything but grab the air hose. Sweet. I was tired of driving 15 miles to air up the tires.

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:19 PM   #30
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by menekaunee View Post
You should always buy a ‘certified’ tire pressure gauge.
Yes there is such a thing.

I have 3 Accutire gauges. (about $10 from Amazon) I have checked them against ISO lab certified over the last 11 years and they have always read +/- 0.5 psi against each other and against the ISO gauges. I keep one as my personal "Master Gauge" so I can do a quick check of gauge accuracy if I ever have strange readings.

I have covered pressure gauges and accuracy in my RVTireSafety blog
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:54 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexington 283 View Post
Where is best place to properly air up tires? Dealer? Tire store? Ford dealer? Self? And can they do it if tires are "hot" ? It seems inside rear of our motor home might be difficult to check and air up properly.

What kind of tire pressure gauge should I buy?

Thanks--We just bought FR Lexington 283 (29') motor home and are very tire pressure conscious with Ford Escape and Yamaha motorcycle.

Jerry
Purchase and install solid steel valve extenders and a pancake air compressor that travels with you... and air you own tires. It's the only fool-proof method for motorhome owners. This advice comes from 42 years of owning motorhomes.
Richard Loewenhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 04:17 AM   #32

Self is the best answer

I bought an inexpensive Ryobi 18v handheld compressor. I would not be able to fill a flat tire within any reasonable amount of time, but it's more than adequate for putting a few pounds into the tires before we take off. I maintain a FMCA roadside rescue package for the situations that call for heavier duty equipment.

I bought a good truck tire pressure gauge and a tire monitor system. The latter saved me the day that I learned that rubber valve stems suck. In one day I had two tires start losing pressure (hours apart) and the monitor warned me with plenty of time to spare. Since then it's metal stems only.

Also, I don't skimp on the tires. I use heavy duty tires sold by US companies (Bridgestone/Firestone typically) as I learned some very important lessons about cheap tires in the first 12 months of ownership and have several good stories . While FS/BS tires may or may not be made in the US anymore, I've never been disappointed by them.
Jlw61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 04:46 AM   #33

Thanks guys

Sure do appreciate hearing from you

And, really wish all of us could get out on the road........
Old 04-10-2020, 10:12 AM   #34
Smittty

Air Up

I used to have problems filling my tires with the small 110 volt pancake compressor and it took a lot of room. I really recommend the Viair compressor for RV's. It is small comes in a carrying case and has everything you need. It looks small but really does the job and easy to use and store onboard. It is a little pricy but worth it. I bought mine on Amazon,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Smittty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:38 PM   #35

What you need is a truck tire gauge it is long and has a angel head to reach the valve stem on the inside tire
You can get them along with a long neck air chuck at most truck stops or places like Harbour Freight
Best to check tire pressure on a cool tire
Your tires will get warm as you are driving down the road this will give you a higher reading on your tire gauge 5-10 psi depending on the size of the tire inside tires on rear duels can run hotter than the outside tire thats ok if it’s properly inflated
Gmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:13 PM   #36
Maintenance Engineer

I bought one of those new Milwaukee (I like Milwaukee tools) portable pumps you use a 12V tool battery in, it did get my truck tire from 64psi to 80psi, but it took almost 30 deafening minutes and a full 4.0 battery to do just 1 tire, needless to say I got my money back for it. I wasn't about to hold that thing on 6 truck tires and 4 toy hauler tires at 1/2 hour each to top them all off, it's probably good for bike tires, but that's about it.

I had an ARB Twin 12 volt onboard air compressor with an additional little hot dog type tank I added installed under my motor coach, it worked pretty good, you weren't going to set a bead with it but it would fill up the 110psi tires on my motor coach. Unfortunately I sold it with the coach, but I'm probably going to get another one and just install it on my truck.

The (use to be free) air stations most gas stations have will usually drain more air out of your tires than they put in, avoid them unless you want your problems to be worse. Just pull up to any tire shop I've ever seen, they fill and check your tires for free.
Ampdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:06 AM   #37

Just sitting

We haven't moved our new to us motor home since buying just before virus

It sits on a long concrete pad

So, as yet, I haven't tried to check AP of tires, but I did get one of those long air pressure check tools from Harbor Freight

And I did buy quality extension tubes/valves and intend to screw these on only to air up inside tires to 80 psi cold and then remove

In the meantime, we, like you, are sitting still

Happy Easter everyone. Stay safe

Jerry

PS-We might see 92 degrees here today.....and break record

Tags
newbie, tire