Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2016, 09:18 AM   #1

Newbie - Simple question

Hi there,

First time going a full hookup and I'm not sure about one thing and getting conflicting info out in the Google world.

When I hook up to the sewer do I wait for my tanks to be almost full before opening the valves or do I just leave them open all the time as soon as I get there?

Thanks!

Keith
kthoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:22 AM   #2
Site Team

Never leave your black tank valve open. You'll get what they call the brown mound. Dump when full.
Differing opinions on grey tank valves. Some leave them open. I keep 'em closed until I need to dump.

Sent (I think)

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:24 AM   #3
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoms View Post
Hi there,

First time going a full hookup and I'm not sure about one thing and getting conflicting info out in the Google world.

When I hook up to the sewer do I wait for my tanks to be almost full before opening the valves or do I just leave them open all the time as soon as I get there?

Thanks!

Keith
Leave your black tank closed until its full. You need the volume to force the flush. If you need to dump before the black is full, fill it up the rest of the way with water first.

As far as the grey goes, it's a matter of opinion. Depending on how large your grey tank is and how many people are traveling with you, the grey could fill up on you pretty fast especially after showers. Personally, I like leaving the grey open at the site but others will tell you that leaving the grey valve open will allow the sewer to vent through your drains into the camper. I just make sure that I run some water down all my drains so the traps are full of water.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:31 AM   #4

I keep the black water tank closed until full and then dump. I keep the grey water tank(s) closed until full, then dump as needed....but always have a full grey tank to "flush" out the hose after the black water tank dump. I use one small bottle of black water tank treatment each time, and upon departure, put 5 gallons of water into the tanks, to slosh about and keep solids in suspension.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:42 AM   #5

I agree with the group, keep the black closed. Not to mention if the black valve were open and on a chance the sewer drain would come off or out of the drain hole, the mess would be everywhere but where it should be.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:18 AM   #6

OK black shut for sure until full, grey I'll shut until half full I guess, I can see the need to use the grey after the black
kthoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:03 PM   #7

Gray Tank

The reason some people choose to keep their gray open is so they don't wind up standing in 3 inches of water when they take a shower and their tank is full. Keep an eye on your gauge and if necessary dump before taking a shower and you should be set. If you don't use your RV shower like some people then it can really take a couple of days or more to fill your gray depending on your water usage and how many people you have.

2020 Chevy Silverado RST
2014 Surveyor Select SV 264

2020 - 4 Nights Camping - Covid and Surgery does that.
Beluga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:05 PM   #8

Black Tank Flush

Quote:
OK black shut for sure until full, grey I'll shut until half full I guess, I can see the need to use the grey after the black
If you have one, get in the habit of using it to fill the black tank prior to dumping it. I also use the GEO method in both of my tanks. Google it and you'll see what it is. Since I've started using the GEO method, I've had no false sensor issues. Welcome to the forum.
Days Camped: 2015 = 51; 2016 = 59; 2017 = 20; 2018 = 12; 2019 =
If you're lucky enough to be camping......You're lucky enough.
beagle22b07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:27 PM   #9

With full hook ups,I leave the gray open until the night before we leave. We both take showers and have enough to flush the hose when I dump the black. Galley tank stays closed just because it'll hold several days of dish washing.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #10
Site Team

Black always closed until full. Grey depends on whats going into it. If dish water with food particles then closed as well until almost full. If only liquids (no food particles) then either option it's up to you.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Perfect - you can even go to 3/4 full on the Gray tank (I'm lazy that way )

Here is a help file I created - everything you ever wanted to know about tank maintenance

The first thing to remember is the holding tanks are just that, "Holding Tanks" and not a Septic System!

DO's
•Use plenty of water when you flush.
•Let the tanks fill to at least 3/4's full before dumping.
•Dump the Black Tank 1st & Gray Tank 2nd.

Don'ts
•Don't leave the dump valves open or you just might end up with the dreaded pyramid ‘o poo J.
•Don't dump anything other than water down the kitchen sink. Why? The Gray Tank does not have a power rinser and the outlet pipe is only about 1-1/4" compared to the 3" black tank drain line. This allows food particles to remain in the tank.
•Restrict the use of chlorine bleach. It's bad for the seals and not really good for a septic system (the place you are dumping YOUR holding tanks.
•Don't mix rinse tank hoses with fresh water hoses. (Ewwwww!...but I have seen this done on multiple occasions at campgrounds!)

Dump/Rinse Procedure
1. Put on a set of gloves – I went to farm supply and got a really nice pair of chemical gloves for @ $5 and they work SO much better than those cheapo disposable sewer gloves.
2. Check you hose connections.
3. Pull the dump handle of the black tank. Let the tank empty completely before you turn the rinser on.
4. Hook the hose up to the black tank rinse and run the rinser until the line runs clear water.
5. Open the gray tank valve and let it drain.
10. Close the gray tank valve, replace the cap, rinse your hose and let it drain before placing it in storage.
11. Put a liberal amount of hand sanitizer on your gloves and then wipe off with a paper towel. Take off your gloves and wash your hands (or at least use hand sanitizer).

Bob’s Tank Chemical mix
Equal parts of:
· Water
· SuperClean (You can get it on amazon.com)
· Liquid Calgon
· Pinesol
I usually mix up a couple of gallons at a time and this is usually good for a whole camping season. After every dump, I put 6OZ in my black tank & 4OZ in each of my gray tanks. Then add a gallon of water to each tank to get things started J
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Hi there,

Thanks!

Keith

Keep that sucker closed and think about emptying when you are north of two thirds (read two turds) full. Otherwise you are in for a real Shi@&y situation.
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:19 PM   #13
Back to RVing again

I was a newbie once and I thought it was neat to be at a full hook-up site, and just left the valves open. We were at the Grand Canyon and it cooled off at night. The hose was frozen in the morning. We had to wait til noon before we could leave the campground. AND I always like to have lots of grey water to flush the black through the hose. So, leave the valves closed and, of course, always empty the black first, then the grey.
Happy dumping.

Kevin
Kevin and Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:31 PM   #14

Leave the black closed but put several gallons of water in it before flushing
jackandjoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:57 PM   #15

Quote:
as already said, the gray is usually held for a flush to clean the hose after dumping the black tank,.......BUT(and there's always a BUT), with the "Sewer Solution"(links below), that isn't necessary, the SS hose is clean when the black tank dumping is completed,..... I leave our gray tank open to drain the whole time we're hooked up(no gray tank over flowing), one less thing to be concerned with while camping...... over three yrs. camping, three different trailers and we've never used the slinky hose at a camp site,.... I did buy a short piece to use at dump stations, but have only used it three times because we almost always go to full hook up campgrounds, .....

Sewer Solution for sale from PPL Motor Homes - PPL Motor Homes

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Never leave your black tank valve open. You'll get what they call the brown mound. Dump when full.
Differing opinions on grey tank valves. Some leave them open. I keep 'em closed until I need to dump.

Sent (I think)
X2

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:07 PM   #17

FWIW, ditto on dumping the black tank first followed with dumping the grey to flush. My grey collects water from the sinks and the shower. The dish detergent and soap ftom the shower helps keep the sewer hose clean.

Gloves are another issue. Do you use gloves at home? Did you use gloves when changing a baby's diaper? Maybe you wanted to at times and with a cloths pin. .. The most important thing is to keep your equipment clean AND definitely wash your hands.
johng4706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:18 PM   #18

If you leave your grey tank valve open when hooked up, put a " trap " in your sewer hose to stop the sewer gasses from passing up through your tank and out your roof vent. This way, you will not annoy your neighbors and you will not get the smell entering your unit due to wind etc.
kenenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenenn View Post
put a " trap " in your sewer hose
with the Sewer Solution hose laying on the ground and then raising up a few inches to connect into the campground sewer line, there is a natural "trap" effect, have NEVER EVER had an odor problem by leaving our gray tank valve open ........

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:20 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post

Sent (I think)
Absolutely. Never leave the black open,
Except while dumping and flushing. Grey closed for me though it can be emptied or half emptied as needed. You will need gray to flush the line when you dump black.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags