Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2020, 08:33 AM   #1

Newbie with Humidity

Hello all!

We are newbies that just set up our 2021 Rockwood 2109S in the tough Iowa humidity. We were told to run our air conditioner on high constantly and not use AUTO due to the possIbility of freeze up.

Humidity inside is hovering around 65 to 80 depending on when the condenser kicks on. Currently humidity outside is 90% so yes it is ugly out. The problem I have is how to keep it down around 50 inside the trailer? The condenser lowers it almost to a comfortable level then it hits the temp and then the fan just circulates the humidity back up. So it feels cool but very sticky. Just very frustrating.

What can a newbie do? Should we use AUTO? Should we not? Buying a dehumidifier is probably in our future but I would of thought for such a small living space the ac unit would be able to manage.

Any help or comments are greatly appreciated.
FlintRockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:45 AM   #2

I just run a small dehumidifier that keeps the humidity around 40-45. We're in Alabama where the humidity can get nasty.
Bryon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:53 AM   #3
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryon4 View Post
I just run a small dehumidifier that keeps the humidity around 40-45. We're in Alabama where the humidity can get nasty.
I lived in AL for 20+ years. I can’t imagine a device getting the humidity down to 40-45!!!

I love living in OH. Humidity will be 60% and everyone is tugging at their collars and griping about the humidity. We just chuckle to ourselves.

On a practical note: During storage, we keep a pair of gun-safe dehumidifiers in the RV, renewing them about once a month. After almost 4 years, our camper still smells new. None of that musty smell that comes with age.

Humidity probably ages campers faster than anything else.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:54 AM   #4

A dehumidifier is probably in your future.
You can try blocking up windows to keep the heat and humidity from entering the trailer. Unfortunately, in any trailer, as soon as you open the door, the heat and humidity defeat your a/c. Using a small fan to help circulate the air might make it feel a little less 'sticky'.
We live near Houston, Texas where humidity is constant and the battle against humidity is also constant.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:11 AM   #5

Your window ac Units were not designed to control humidity. That requires double or triple the energy. Only controls temp.

Set the ac on auto. If humidity is too high, run a dehumidifier.

The usual problem is when the outside temps are in the mid 70’s. Unit does not run enough to help humidity. Homeowners keep dialing the temp,down. Then you could add space heaters.

That is basically how you make a humidity controled room. Bigger ac plus a heater. Plus fancy controls.
tomkatb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:26 AM   #6

I am not saying this is YOUR problem but it is a known issue. Sometimes when an A/C unit is too big it will cool off quickly without having enough time to properly dehumidify. This is often an issue when you have small room with like a 12,000 BTU window unit, you feel cold and sweaty at the same time. RVs have the added challenge of poor insulation, frequently opened doors, and often sitting in the direct sun. Cooking, showers, wet bathing suits and towels can all add to the humidity issues.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:56 AM   #7

If you are going to pop for a dehumidifier, take a pass on the thermoelectric ones. Not real effective. Ivation makes a15 pt compressor style that is about the size of a pail o cat litter, works well an draws 200w of electricity
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:47 PM   #8

Outstanding welcome to the forum fellow CAMPER

Old 06-30-2020, 06:25 PM   #9

Thank you!
FlintRockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:32 AM   #10

I would run on auto, first try a small fan that you leave on all the time, if that will not help you out then think about a dehumidifier. But I found the fan really helps. Your not alone in a high humidity area, also keep all the doors and windows closed, these small AC just can’t remove enough humidity and a AC is just really a dehumidifier. You will feel better with air running across your skin, when the AC shuts down, also turn the AC on sooner then later once your unit gets hot inside it becomes worst. I use to try to be in my CG by 3 pm other then that you will not feel comfortable until like 8 or 9 PM.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:50 AM   #11
Site Team

I would run on Hi to get humidity down then switch to Auto once it cools. Also make sure none of the vents are blowing directly on the thermostat as that will cause it to cycle too often.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:14 AM   #12

To those calling for a "Dehumidifier" one by-product of a Dehumidifier.....is warm air. I run one in our basement all summer long...(Eastern Nebraska) they put out a fair amount of warm air.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:17 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
To those calling for a "Dehumidifier" one by-product of a Dehumidifier.....is warm air. I run one in our basement all summer long...(Eastern Nebraska) they put out a fair amount of warm air.
This is also a 30A unit so A/C and dehumidifier will eat up most of the load capacity.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
This is also a 30A unit so A/C and dehumidifier will eat up most of the load capacity.
Yep !
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:53 AM   #15

We're in the Tampa bay area. Don't understand the recommendation to run the AC fan continuously as that is likely dumping humidity right back into the trailer.

Try auto and see what happens.

We always run our AC on auto, and will use the High fan speed when it's really hot and when first turning it on. It's never frozen up.

Of course one man's comfy is another's sweltering box of Hell on Earth [emoji1].
I grew up in Indiana and thought I knew humidity until I lived in MS for two years. And now living in FL, it's amazing how you adapt. Visiting family in IN two years ago, they complained about the humidity, my wife and I just LOL'ed.
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Control
tony5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:46 AM   #16

I’m sorry, I do not have an answer for the air conditioning

In the interim
Try Moisture Eliminator.
Small container which traps moisture in the air. Deposits water in container. Works for us. Dollar Tree is our source

Safe Travels
okie dokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:19 AM   #17
Brake is on left

Keeping the fan in auto, while annoying, will help. If the fan is constantly running it will reintroduce moisture from the evaporator coil and drain pan after the compressor turns off. For the extreme humidity you are experiencing its likely a dehumidifier is needed to wring out more moisture to get it where you want it. But try auto first and see.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:21 PM   #18

My wife and dog can not stand the humidity. On a trip to GA last Christmas it was in the low 60's and rained the first 2 days. To cool for AC, to warm for much heat. We bought this little dehumidifier (a couple of pints I think) for $80 from Ace hardware. While it helped, it didn't really do too much. I took my showers in the nearby bath house to keep the hot water out of the trailer.

On a recent camping trip where there was a forecast for rain and temps that would limit the amount of time the AC ran so we pulled the 70 pint unit from our basement and took that. Now that got the humidity down to under 40% and kept it there. WooHoo! The windows were starting to get condensation when turn it on... an hour later they were dry. The problem is the unit is large, kind noisy, cost north of $200 and draws 7amps. Don't care though... 50A trailer and happy wife.

If others have solutions that are better/easier/cheaper I'd be interested.

Jim M.
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:39 PM   #19

while NOT CHEAP, this looks like an option for improving stock AC unit...

read # 8, 9 and 10

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2361980

then read here

https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-m...ts/accessories

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:54 PM   #20

this is an amazing country! some of us actually buy humidifiers to get moisture into the air.

Tags