Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2018, 01:03 AM   #1

Newby here: Looking for advice on dry camping on battery power. Please help!

Hi all,

I stumbled across this forum and wanted to join to see if you could help me figure out if a camper trailer is right for me based on my situation.

I go to deer camp in SE Oklahoma twice a year. 1 week in late october and 1-2 weeks in late November. During this time I'm way out there, no where near a power source and would have to rely on battery power. I generally stay about 3 days at a time and come home for a day or two then go back to the woods for 3 or 4 days.

I'm looking at a 2017 Salem Cruise Lite by FR model 261BHXL. So here's what I'm wondering... During the nights at deer camp it gets pretty chilly in November (usually down to the mid 20's).

If I have to run on battery power to use the furnace (assume I use nothing but the furnance) how long will I be able to make it last? I'll only use the furnace with propane during the nights, during the day we sit around the campfire when we aren't hunting. So only when trying to stay warm enough to sleep. A nice hot shower every day would be nice too.

Any suggestions, ideas, help, whatever, is very much appreciated. Like I said, I've never owned a camper trailer before and have been tent sleeping since I joined this camp 10 years ago and I'm just tired of sleeping on an uncomfortable cot in a cold tent. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to campers.

Is it possible to run my camper on batteries for 3 days at a time based on the info I've given? I can get a small generator or solar charger to help keep the charge up.

During the summer we will also use the camper (family of 4, 2 small kids) at the lake, but there will be shore power there, so not as concerned with that.

Thanks, all. I really appreciate any feedback.
whoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:26 AM   #2

If you keep your 12V battery maintained, you just might get away with about 2-2.5 days worth of general use including the heater. My suggestion for you outright is to upgrade to dual 6V Batteries and run them in series. That’s about a $220-$300 investment that will give you the amp hours you need.

After that, if the budget allows, you can start with a single 100W solar panel and controller that with the appropriate wiring and goodies, you can budget in starting at $300 if you can do it yourself.

The big question is, if you couldn’t do both, which one to do first? My vote would be solar, either rooftop or mobile panel type, because 6V is nice, but it’s nothing if you lose too much juice and no way to charge it out in the wild.
Southern California
borabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:51 AM   #3
Site Team

The furnace is the biggest drain on the battery. A single 12v battery could easily be dead by morning, if the furnace runs a lot.
Agree with two 6v golf cart batteries and a generator or solar.
A generator allows you to run the microwave or a/c, as long as the generator has enough wattage. Solar will only recharge the batteries.
By the way, the term for the Salem is a travel trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:53 AM   #4

In a hunting camp you may be able to run a generator for a couple of hours to recharge the batteries. Solar is another obvious choice, but a little more pricey and less reliable.

Another thought is that most travel trailers are not meant to be pulled up rough dirt roads and are not well suited for cold weather camping. There are some smaller manufacturers that build rugged 4 season trailers with better insulation, heated tanks etc..
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:56 AM   #5

First off, a big camper will take a lot of propane and power to keep heated. You are better off getting a smaller camper with solar and 2 or even 4 6volt batteries. Or even going with a base camp tent with wood stove and a folding cot.
Cooknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:26 AM   #6
Site Team

also, the Salem Cruise Lite is NOT well insulated.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:37 PM   #7

Newby here: Looking for advice on dry camping on battery power. Please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoward View Post
Hi all,

I stumbled across this forum and wanted to join to see if you could help me figure out if a camper trailer is right for me based on my situation.

I go to deer camp in SE Oklahoma twice a year. 1 week in late october and 1-2 weeks in late November. During this time I'm way out there, no where near a power source and would have to rely on battery power. I generally stay about 3 days at a time and come home for a day or two then go back to the woods for 3 or 4 days.

I'm looking at a 2017 Salem Cruise Lite by FR model 261BHXL. So here's what I'm wondering... During the nights at deer camp it gets pretty chilly in November (usually down to the mid 20's).

If I have to run on battery power to use the furnace (assume I use nothing but the furnance) how long will I be able to make it last? I'll only use the furnace with propane during the nights, during the day we sit around the campfire when we aren't hunting. So only when trying to stay warm enough to sleep. A nice hot shower every day would be nice too.

Any suggestions, ideas, help, whatever, is very much appreciated. Like I said, I've never owned a camper trailer before and have been tent sleeping since I joined this camp 10 years ago and I'm just tired of sleeping on an uncomfortable cot in a cold tent. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to campers.

Is it possible to run my camper on batteries for 3 days at a time based on the info I've given? I can get a small generator or solar charger to help keep the charge up.

During the summer we will also use the camper (family of 4, 2 small kids) at the lake, but there will be shore power there, so not as concerned with that.

I use my TT for hunting in Ontario in Nov. My experience last year was one battery didn’t cut it for more then one day. I have one 90 watt solar panel and a 2700 watt gen. I ran the generator from about 6 pm until bed. Turned the furnace down low to save battery but the battery would still drain by early am.
Another issue depending on how cold it gets for you, but it was awful trying to keep the low point drains and gate valves from freezing. This year 2 new batteries, solar power and gen. But will use bottled water and not onboard water.

Also this year will be using two electric heaters! Propane use was 20 lb bottle a day

Good luck
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:07 PM   #8

Forrest

I see you don't have to worry of freezing temperatures. I think a generator would be the best and most reliable. Run a couple hours in morning when using max electricity and a couple hours before bed to heat up the trailer nice. Keep the thermostat low and check state of charge on battery a couple times per day. Three days should be easy with this practice. You don't need a big generator either, 900 watt is fine.
trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:24 PM   #9
Senior Gold Member

Dry camping in the cold

Quote:
Hi all,

If it is cold the furnace will suck your battery dry in one night even if you have 2 class 24 or 27 batteries. You should carry a small generator and a battery charger and charge up during the day and get yourself one of the larger portable solar panel kits and you will have some comfort on your trip. Once your batteries go flat nothing works and the fun disappears very quickly.
rthomaslyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:38 PM   #10

I live in Canada, so we expect cold (freezing) weather for over half the year. Here's my setup:

2 X 300 Watt solar panels and controller
4 X 6V AGM batteries (2 in series, times 2 for 12V and the 2 sets of series batteries are connected in parallel for more current
2 X 20 Lbs propane tanks
Propane extension kit with one external 30 lbs propane tank (so 70 lbs in total)
1 X 4100 Watt generator

This configuration meets all of our needs for boondocking.

2018 Forest River Sabre (cobalt), 30RLT
2011 GMC Sierra 3500 HD 4X4 Long Box, 6.0L Vortex
WhiteEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:54 PM   #11

We have 2 6volts in series, supplemented with a generator (honda3000). on cold boondocking nights we charge batteries next day to "resupply" for the coming night. A smaller genny will suffice. You can go longer between charging but it is more comforting to keep the batteries charged.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:45 PM   #12

I run a Mr. Heater when dry camping in cold weather....nice and toasty...
Firestone Airbag Ride Rite system
paverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:21 PM   #13

1000W generator and 2 batteries will keep you going with no trouble J would do a couple of dry runs at home to test out the run time and usage rates.
NormTn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Hi all,

<<SNIP>>

<<SNIP>>
One 12-volt group 24 (standard sized) battery won't do the job. As others have said, more battery capacity combined with solar (and/or generator) charging will be needed.

Several things to consider:
1) Power demands of your particular furnace. You may find this on a "data plate" somewhere on the body of the furnace...perhaps behind the decorative cover.
If I recall, the furnace in my PUP uses 5 amps. The one in your rig may be more like 10 amps when the blower is running...especially if it ducts the heated air throughout the camper. While I don't know your furnace's power requirements, I'll assume 10 amps to make things easy.

2) The power consumption info may be in your furnace owner's manual. If you don't have your original owner's manual, you might find it here.

3) You get to use about 1/2 of the battery's total capacity before requiring a recharge. In the case of the standard group 24, the battery has a capacity of about 75 amp hours. You get to use about 37.5. Any more and you begin to damage the battery. Fully draining (and not immediately recharging) a battery ruins it.

4) So let's assume your furnace uses 10 amps. Run it for an hour straight and it consumes 10 amp hours. 10 amps for one hour = 10 amp hours.
Now let's assume it's cold and the furnace must run 50% of the time to maintain the desired temp...and you sleep for 8 hours. So that's a 50% duty cycle at 10 amps for 8 hours = 40 amp hours. If your battery is fully charged and healthy, it could survive that for ONE night assuming you can fully charge it the next day...and have no other draws.

5) You do have other draws: the CO/Propane detector is always on and always sucking a trickle out of the battery...24/7 so it adds up. Other draws would be the fridge ignition (why not use the fridge?), water pump (you probably won't use that, but you might), occasional lights, and so on. You've already used slightly more than half, and now you're adding more loads. That's a recipe to kill the battery.

6) 2 x 6 volt golf cart batteries in series will increase your available (usable) amp hours considerably. A "typical" 6 volt golf cart battery has a total capacity of about 225 amp hours. 2 in series do NOT double the amp hours, but they do double the voltage to 12 volts. So, with that arrangement, you can safely use about 110 amp hours before charging....a vast improvement over a single 12 volt. The dream setup (aside from Lithium and other exotic batteries) is 4 x 6-volt golf cart batteries in series/parallel delivering 225 USABLE amp hours. But you probably have no room for such a massive battery bank without significant modifications to the rig. But you CAN fit two batteries on the A-frame of most rigs.

7) Solar can recharge your batteries daily. This is a good solar package that's inexpensive and would maintain a 2 x 6 volt golf cart battery bank. Renology is another good brand. All you need to do is: mount the panels on the roof; run the wire thru a gland high on a side-wall into an inside cabinet; mount the charge controller on the cabinet wall; run the wires to the battery; attach the output of the charge controller straight to your battery bank....no muss no fuss. There are no special connections to enable this to work in parallel with the onboard converter/charger in the rig. I can provide more details if you wish....I have solar on my PUP.

8) The 400 watt system with two batteries allows for short fall/early winter days and grey skies. Depending on the weather, you may not get a full charge each day, but you will restore a lot of the battery bank's capacity even in bad weather. Keep the snow off the panels if that happens.

9) A 2 kilowatt Predator brand generator from Harbor Freight (<$500) will back you up and make you 100% energy independent for indefinite boondocking. Generator snobs may denigrate this machine, but Consumer Reports recommends it, and a friend has one and loves it.

10) This calculator is very handy for assessing your loads...especially if you decide to get an inverter to make 120 volts along the way. Always plug 12 volts into the calculator, because your ultimate power source is the battery bank. But if you have an appliance that runs on 12 volts and is rated in watts instead of amps, this calculator will help you determine the number of amp-hours used for every device.
Once you get more battery capacity and go solar, you'll want to be able to estimate your power consumption so you can enjoy the amenities built into your rig...like lights. And you may just decide to take your kids camping in the boondocks, because you'll be able to.

11) Since you plan short trips, you could leave the rig on site between visits and let the solar do its job to top off the idle batteries. Better is bringing it home and hooking up to shore power for about 24 hours or so to let the converter/charger bring the batteries up to full charge. Extended trips on solar run the risk of never fully charging the batteries, and this causes sulfation. If you're out for a week, run the generator for about 8 hours to help top off the batteries. The generator will work in parallel with the solar to fully charge your batteries.

12) All this exercise on the batteries gives them a real workout. Stash a gallon of distilled water in your rig...near the furnace...and check your electrolyte often...at least monthly...to keep them topped off.

Your "mileage" will vary, of course. Your furnace's actual amps draw is not likely to be exactly 10. Depending on the weather and how warm you keep your rig, your furnace may run more or less than half the time on a cold night. And battery use is FAR more complex than just using 50% of the rated amp-hours - especially if you start drawing big loads through an inverter and so on. But you get the idea. And these are all good rules of thumb to start with. They work well enough for typical RV uses...such as the furnace.

Unlike a good tent (thoroughly ventilated), don't let it get too cold in the camper, because condensation from human breath is a real problem in a cold camper. You'll regret that. Ventilating helps, but on a still (no breeze), cold night, there will be little air exchange, so the camper will literally be dripping (or frosting up) inside without adequate heat. Cracking a window defeats the purpose of running the furnace, and there is a LOT of space for warm, moist air to collect above the windows in an RV. And it's no fun to be sleeping in a camper that's below freezing inside anyway.

P.S. The links are more like illustrations than specifications. E.g. the gland may need to be bigger to accommodate larger (say #6 AWG) wire from the panels. Assembling all the right components is dependent on the capacity of the solar array.

Battery University is a great resource for all things battery...revisit the link attached to the word sulfation and explore.

2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:09 PM   #15

I measured the electrical demand of my furnace with a meter resolution of 0.01 amp. It draws 3.36 amps when running and burns about 1 pound of propane an hour. Running the furnace for 10 hours (flame time), then, will consume 33.6 amp hours and 10 pounds of propane. If you do this for 2 days you're out of propane and you need a bigger battery than first seems apparent.

Seems easy to figure out the amp hours you need and get batteries (plural) and LP cylinders (also plural) for this use. A problem with the batteries is their capacity is grossly overstated. Typical "80 amp hour" Group 24 battery only supplies about 56 useful amp hours before the voltage drops too low to run anything. Even a 1000watt genset will keep your batteries changed. Propane, then, becomes the critical item.

In truly cold temperatures you'll need to keep at least some heat in the camper 24/7, not just when you're inside.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:25 PM   #16

I get away with a single Harbor Freight 1000 watt generator. Run it in the morning during breakfast and while you gear up. Run it again from dark till you go to bed. That should get you a good 5-6 hours of charge time. Set your heat too a bit over 50 when you go to bed.
Get a digital voltage monitor so you can keep the battery above 11.9 volts as much as possible.
I found a monitor on Amazon that fits in the 12 volt cigarette lighter type plug on my wall.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:41 PM   #17

A pair of 6V batts supply about 210amphours of which 1/2 is usable before you need recharging. Another pair would add another 210 or 420 in total with 210 usable.
The IDEAL charger would be in the 80-90 amp range since that is ALL such a dual bank can absorb and LESS charging ability just will make you run your generator longer. That means you will need a genny that puts out at least 1000 watts in a perfect world... I'd suggest 1500 to account for losses in conversion.
You should also get a TRUE batter monitor as you need to know exactly when to recharge while in use...and you need to know exactly when you can STOP recharging so you can save on fuel and wear and tear on the genny AND to you don't murder your batteries. It will take about 6 hours of runtime a day to take your batteries from 50% full to 100% full if you have a converter rated at 20% of the battery amp hours. (i.e. a 20 amp charger for a 100amp hour battery etc. )
Note that a true battery monitor is NOT a voltmeter which is totally unreliable for readings on an in use battery and cannot tell you when it is actually at 50% or 100% ...it also can't tell you things like how much time you have left at present state of charge WHILE you are using your stuff. See Victron or Trimetric for true monitors.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:50 PM   #18

Boondocking

All this math makes me dizzy. Buy a cheap generator. It’s a hunting camp! Fire it ip in the pm and run it all night if necessary to power electric heaters.
Without air cond. my gen will run 8 hours pn 3-4 gal. Gas.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:50 PM   #19

Like PaverDave, I use a small catalytic heater when we camp in the cold (or a quartz type electric heater if we have an electrical hookup). Our catalytic heater is a Coleman Black Cat - but it looks like they don't make them anymore. I'm sure there are other manufacturers that do...

We run it on low and if it's above freezing outside, it will keep it in the 50's in the trailer. Besides not using any electricity, it doesn't wake me up by cycling on and off all night! FYI, even on Hi, it will only use a little less than one 16oz tank per night
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:56 PM   #20

The warmer you try to keep a travel trailer the more often the furnace will run. I just turn my furnace down to 55 and rely on good sleeping bags to keep warm during cold weather. My wife used to lay claim to the dog for extra heat

By doing this there was plenty of battery left in the AM to heat up the TT and about 7 AM I'd just start the generator.

If you want "toasty" all night then plan on adding battery capacity (which will take longer to charge the next day).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, camping, dry camping, power