Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2019, 08:27 AM   #1

Nissan titan xd Cummins turbo diesel tow vehicle question

Wife and I have a rockwood 2606ws and pull it with a Nissan titan xd Cummins turbo diesel. Yesterday I read that Nissan wont make the diesel titan after this year. We love the truck but wonder about part availability and since Nissan wont have a diesel any more will they have diesel mechanics 5 years or 10 years from now?
Our last truck was a 2004 titan and had it 14 years so I do keep my trucks a long time but wondering if I shouldn't this time.
What's your thoughts???
Greg in michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:45 AM   #2

Don't know how much you like your Titan XD, but I would start looking for a truck shop in your area that works on diesels. These type of shops usually do a better job maintaining you vehicle, are concentrated more on what works and doesn't work when maintaining/modifying your truck and are usually less expensive.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:21 AM   #3
Voyager

Greg,

I wouldn’t worry about it. Cummins engines are in multiple trucks, both big and small, so there will always be Cummins diesel mechanics. If my Cummins ever has an issue, don’t think I’ll bring it to the FCA/RAM dealership. I’ll find a diesel mechanic.

Bob
'23 Rockwood 2205S
Bob.n.Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #4

Agree with Ortep.

Look for a good Diesel shop near you. They can discuss the options.

The thing that's going to hurt that truck long-term is the volume of vehicles produced by Nissan and if the engine was used on other platforms. If the popularity isn't there to support a robust aftermarket then you could be in for a headache.

I'm unfamiliar with the engine used and if they were used in other applications or not.

I didn't think that engine was the same as the 2500/3500 Ram. I thought it was specific to the Titan (even though it's a Cummins).
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:33 AM   #5
Grammar Pedant

I wouldn't worry 2 seconds about this. Mechanics who know how to work on Cummins diesel engines aren't going away. Nissan is a fraction of a rounding error in both the Truck market and the Cummins engine market. Whether Nissan makes trucks or diesels has no effect on the services you can expect to find.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:29 PM   #6

The Titan Cummins is a 5.0L engine built specifically for it alone. The big RAM is the 6.7L engine. Part of the problem with the engine was market share, the EPA requires recertification every 3 years and it was gonna cost Nissan $20 million dollars to continue it next year. On the initial release, they split the cost between Cummins and Nissan, but would not do that this time.

Cummins has over a dozen different models, with varying power levels. That said, their mechanics are never going away.
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:31 PM   #7

FWIW

If you love your truck, keep it.
As others suggested, find a local shop that features or specializes in diesels, and save yourself some cash on maintenance and repairs. The Nissan dealer will be your most expensive option on that front.

Nissan is very unlikely to abandon you on parts. And the engine is, after all, a Cummins. Cummins will support it.
The rest of the truck is Nissan through and through, and they will support IT.

Now, as the owner of a Dodge, I confess that I'm in a similar boat in this next area. Nissan trucks have a terrible reputation for reliability...in many cases, worse than Dodge. So your REAL decision/pain point is how much do you love the truck, and is it enough to justify the statistical reality that it might cost you a lot to maintain compared to, say, a Ford....somewhat more reliable??

My 2006 RAM 1500 owes me nothing. It has 95,000 miles on it (I don't use it to commute or for any purpose if I can use our Toyota Rav 4 instead). I haven't made a payment on it in a decade. There's no way I'd dump it for something else. But if you pile on the miles on your Nissan, it MIGHT eat you alive in maintenance and repairs. Especially diesel repairs.

Your rockwood 2606ws weighs in at about 8000 all up with full tanks, so pretty much any decent 1/2 ton pickup will drag it around. So nothing is tying you to the Nissan except your preference for a light-duty diesel. A Ford V-6 turbo will likely run rings around it. A new Dodge with a Hemi will keep up and it rides and handles like a car (comparatively).

Parts and service ability aren't deciding factors. But trade-in value (once everyone knows they are out of production) and reliability might be considerations. There's no wrong choice...just a hard choice.

Good luck.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:30 PM   #8

I thought this engine was what is in the Tiffin Breeze.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:57 PM   #9

I would take my loss now and move on rather than later
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.n.Denise View Post
Greg,

I wouldn’t worry about it. Cummins engines are in multiple trucks, both big and small, so there will always be Cummins diesel mechanics. If my Cummins ever has an issue, don’t think I’ll bring it to the FCA/RAM dealership. I’ll find a diesel mechanic.

Bob
Bob...
Issue is from all I can see the Cummins v8 5.0 engine has only been put in the Nissan not anything else.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:45 PM   #11

There is no way on this planet I would hang onto that vehicle, trade/sell it off sooner rather than later.
As others mentioned that engine was made specifically for that vehicle and not used in anything else, along with the poor sales numbers means you will be limited in finding any mechanic that has any knowledge at all on that motor.

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Biker View Post
There is no way on this planet I would hang onto that vehicle, trade/sell it off sooner rather than later.
As others mentioned that engine was made specifically for that vehicle and not used in anything else, along with the poor sales numbers means you will be limited in finding any mechanic that has any knowledge at all on that motor.
I see your point. This has been bothering me since I found out. Being my Nissan is only 1 year old and is under warranty for 4 more years which is how long I have left on payments ( 0% intrest ) at this point I think I'll hold on to it for the 4 years they have to fix anything wrong then change trucks.
I welcome your thought on that plan as that is why I asked others for input.
By the way went to ford today and to get a 3/4 ton diesel with about the same options was $16000 more with tax then my Nissan. Also would have to pay intrest and also if I traded it in I'd be $ 8000 upside down on my loan so id be making intrest payments on $74000 not the 0% interest on my $50000 loan of which I owe $40000
Your thoughts?
Old 08-07-2019, 10:28 PM   #13

That’s a tuff situation to be in for sure, and one that does not have a simple answer.
I can only base my opinion on what I have seen happen in the past when auto manufacturers shut down entire brands or divisions.
All of them have been worth nothing... quickly.
Look at Pontiac, Saturn, Plymouth, they sold millions of cars and once announced they were shutting down their product was worth nothing... even though many of there parts were used in sister companies vehicles.
In your case it is a single vehicle being eliminated, a vehicle that had poor sales to begin with.
I just can’t see it ending well, and with it being a diesel power plant that most diesel mechanics have never even seen I cannot imagine the hassle of getting it serviced.
Not saying you need to jump on the first deal you can find but I would be actively looking, usually all of the big three do zero percent financing from time to time (Ford just had it last month), I know RAM usually offers it on 3-year notes if you can swing the payments.
It’s a tuff situation to be in.

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Biker View Post
That’s a tuff situation to be in for sure, and one that does not have a simple answer.
I can only base my opinion on what I have seen happen in the past when auto manufacturers shut down entire brands or divisions.
All of them have been worth nothing... quickly.
Look at Pontiac, Saturn, Plymouth, they sold millions of cars and once announced they were shutting down their product was worth nothing... even though many of there parts were used in sister companies vehicles.
In your case it is a single vehicle being eliminated, a vehicle that had poor sales to begin with.
I just can’t see it ending well, and with it being a diesel power plant that most diesel mechanics have never even seen I cannot imagine the hassle of getting it serviced.
Not saying you need to jump on the first deal you can find but I would be actively looking, usually all of the big three do zero percent financing from time to time (Ford just had it last month), I know RAM usually offers it on 3-year notes if you can swing the payments.
It’s a tuff situation to be in.
One part I left out....
It's not that their stopping the brand or division, just not going to use the Cummins turbo diesel engine anymore. It's Nissans only diesel.
Greg in Michigan
Old 08-08-2019, 07:42 AM   #15

Another thing would be to try to sell it outright to someone else. This would get you on the upside again, or at least much closer. Since you like it and aren't wanting to get rid of it, you have 4 years to sell it. This would allow the right person to find it.

"Is this a game show?"
sugarray40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:19 AM   #16
Scoundrel

I would have no problem owning that truck forever. I'm guessing there are others out there like me who would as well. Relax, keep it, drive it, sell it to someone like me if you get that worried about it.

There are buyers out there for everything....

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
I would have no problem owning that truck forever. I'm guessing there are others out there like me who would as well. Relax, keep it, drive it, sell it to someone like me if you get that worried about it.

There are buyers out there for everything....
At this point due to it being under warranty for 4 more years and the fact I have 0% interest through Nissan I think I'll keep it that long for sure and decided at that point .
This is my favorite truck ive owned since buying new trucks 30 years ago
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181011_121522.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	211820  
Old 08-08-2019, 08:59 AM   #18

Why would anyone take an out of warranty vehicle to the dealership for repairs "unless mandatory " the dealer of any kind are thieves. I see all of the time where they recommend thousands of dollars in repairs that the customers do not need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg in michigan View Post
Wife and I have a rockwood 2606ws and pull it with a Nissan titan xd Cummins turbo diesel. Yesterday I read that Nissan wont make the diesel titan after this year. We love the truck but wonder about part availability and since Nissan wont have a diesel any more will they have diesel mechanics 5 years or 10 years from now?
Our last truck was a 2004 titan and had it 14 years so I do keep my trucks a long time but wondering if I shouldn't this time.
What's your thoughts???
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:20 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiels7 View Post
Why would anyone take an out of warranty vehicle to the dealership for repairs "unless mandatory " the dealer of any kind are thieves. I see all of the time where they recommend thousands of dollars in repairs that the customers do not need.
I dont it's under warranty for 4 more years and they'll have to fix anything.
After that will parts be available on a engine they only made 4 years and didn't sell many of?
Old 08-08-2019, 09:30 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg in michigan View Post
I dont it's under warranty for 4 more years and they'll have to fix anything.

After that will parts be available on a engine they only made 4 years and didn't sell many of?
I think that's why you should talk to one of the local Diesel shops. They will be able to tell you what they see.

I understand your concern. However, Diesels are well known for their ability to go 300-400 or even 500k or more. A Cummins is typically one of the most reliable engines out there. The likelihood is pretty high that if you sold that truck and bought a gasser, the truck you have now would outlast the gasser (especially if you've done the proper maintenance).

You've probably already paid most of the depreciation on that vehicle. I wouldn't rush to pay that again on a new one (unless that's what you really want).

I should add.. I'm not looking to get into the gasser vs diesel debate here. Any comments to this post about that debate will be ignored.

Believe me, I understand that sometimes it may be cheaper to replace a gasser engine than to address some issues on a Diesel. I just spent $6,500 to have my Diesel Bulletproofed. Personally, I'd spend it again.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, tow vehicle