Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2017, 12:24 AM   #1

No back up camera

I got so fed up with all the bad workmanship in my new 24' Thor Quantum that I traded it in on a used 2017 Leprechaun 260QB. I lost a ton of money, of course, but I am delighted with my Leprechaun. So roomy inside, quiet on the road, and amazing storage underneath. And the interior workmanship is flawless.

But, there is no back up camera. What's up with that? Is the 260QB the bottom of the line or something?

Ted
Ojai, CA
TDLucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:32 AM   #2

For what it is worth, it probably wasn't there when you bought the RV, so I wouldn't worry about it. It's still the same "level" of RV that you thought you were purchasing.
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:56 AM   #3

It's a $500 cost but you can install a backup/rear facing camera. I like being able to keep track of things behind the trailer as we go down the road. I really don't us the camera to back up, my wife acts as my backup spotter and I use my mirrors when going in reverse!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #4

The Furion Rear observation camera can be had for ~$340 on Amazon. It's a pretty simple install (especially if you have a clearance light in the top center location of the rear wall) and takes about 20 - 30 minutes.

I removed the clearance light and installed the camera in its place using the wiring from the light circuit. The kit comes with a gasket to seal it to the wall.
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:16 PM   #5

try this.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
jrowe0521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post
I removed the clearance light and installed the camera in its place using the wiring from the light circuit. The kit comes with a gasket to seal it to the wall.
The three clearance lights are required by law. You can get a ticket for removing one. See item 7 in
Federal lighting equipment location requirements

2018 Coachmen Viking 21RD
2012 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi 4x4
Full-timing since October 2017
johntaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:08 PM   #7
DW's 401(k) Plan

There's another thread on here (hard for me to search on this tablet) about rear facing cameras.... In it is a video where the guy uses a $38 WiFi transmitter and a $16 mini camera to see out the back window of his 5er. He used his iPad as his monitor. I got the same WiFi and camera but am using my DW's old Galaxy3 as the monitor. GREAT VIEW!!!! Once I get home, I will post a picture or two. However, the camera he used in the video has the backup guides. I don't need them and will be returning the camera for one without the guides.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:33 PM   #8

I just installed a Furrion observation camer on my TT. It came prewired but I bought the complete install kit. If you have basic skills with tools and wiring this will be an easy install. I consider it a safety essential.
Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:31 PM   #9
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
There's another thread on here (hard for me to search on this tablet) about rear facing cameras.... In it is a video where the guy uses a $38 WiFi transmitter and a $16 mini camera to see out the back window of his 5er. He used his iPad as his monitor. I got the same WiFi and camera but am using my DW's old Galaxy3 as the monitor. GREAT VIEW!!!! Once I get home, I will post a picture or two. However, the camera he used in the video has the backup guides. I don't need them and will be returning the camera for one without the guides.
Here's the thread I was talking about. Check the video in the 3rd post and then my short video in post 14.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:39 PM   #10

i installled my new camera with wireless video transmitter today. must have interference. so I am getting a 50 ft video cord with rca connectoers. should work fine.
jrowe0521 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back up camera