Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2016, 07:49 PM   #21

I vote to sell on your own, but if you must move it,call a hauling company. My brother owns his own hauling business and spends his off shift time hauling trailers, boats,horses and cars with his dually for a nominal fee. Good luck!

2014 Crusader 351 REQ Touring Edition (the Cottage)
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT (Allison B)
Nights in the Cottage: 2014: 27, 2015: 80 2016: 47,[B]2017:41
2018: Jan= 2, Feb=2, Mar=3, Apr=2, May=7, June=5, July=15, Aug=1,Sept=2,
Running Total:232
Rigpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:01 PM   #22

What happened to your TV?. What kind of TT are you trying to get rid of?
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscamping View Post
My trailer is at my home and the dealer is any good two hours away.
I didn't know you could rent trucks set up to tow a travel trailer. What type of place does so?

Thanks!
Home Depot
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:14 PM   #24

Home Depot has a truck that has a 7 pin connector that will tow his (we have no idea what he has) Travel Trailer?
Old 04-13-2016, 09:48 PM   #25

So much good information here. I really, really appreciate it.
TV is "his"....TT is mine.
I'm researching my options right now. My daughter and I want to keep camping on a regular basis. So, I either need to get a motorhome or a new TV. However, the TV has to also be my primary vehicle so it has to be a SUV. I don't want a truck as my only vehicle. My current TT, the yellow sticker dry weight is 5460# and the TT is 31ft long. I'm not even sure if an SUV is appropriate. I need to do more research. The Jeep Grand Cherokee has a towing capacity of 7200# but I know there is a lot more to it than that. Decisions....
kscamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:00 PM   #26

So you are going through a very difficult time in your life Sorry but You have more important things to consider right now.JMHO. I'm OUT
Old 04-13-2016, 10:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscamping View Post
So much good information here. I really, really appreciate it.
TV is "his"....TT is mine.
I'm researching my options right now. My daughter and I want to keep camping on a regular basis. So, I either need to get a motorhome or a new TV. However, the TV has to also be my primary vehicle so it has to be a SUV. I don't want a truck as my only vehicle. My current TT, the yellow sticker dry weight is 5460# and the TT is 31ft long. I'm not even sure if an SUV is appropriate. I need to do more research. The Jeep Grand Cherokee has a towing capacity of 7200# but I know there is a lot more to it than that. Decisions....
Have you never seen the rear window that says "trucks are for girls"? My wife wanted to keep my 2015 F150 as her daily driver. The only reason she did not is with that, my 2016 F250, and my daughter's Lincoln we had a space problem so she kept the 2014 Escape. There are a lot of full size SUVs that will pull your TT. Look at the payload 1st. Easier to find one that can pull the loaded weight than carry the tongue weight and hitch. If you go the MH route and want to tow a vehicle you get an extra motor to maintain and make sure you get a toad that can be towed 4 wheels down. Wait until you see the cost of that set up. Been there and love the 5er.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:33 PM   #28
Site Team

Before I had my own truck I called a few auto rental companies and ran into a dead end with using their truck to tow. My local U-Haul said yes to using one of their "box trucks".

Maybe the dealer would be willing to make arrangements to pick it up if it means closing a deal.

I used AAA once to tow my TT to the dealer lot but that might be different since someone stole my batteries (& other stuff).

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:29 AM   #29

All rental trucks have a tow hitch on the rear in case you are moving a boat, trailer or using their trailers. As someone mentioned, the dealer you are buying from can pull it back for you when they deliver the new one. Otherwise the truck rental is the way to go.
The Villager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:42 AM   #30

No Tow vehicle...how do I trade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
So you are going through a very difficult time in your life Sorry but You have more important things to consider right now.JMHO. I'm OUT

Ha!!! Difficult time? Not at all. What's important is I continue to make great camping memories with my daughter....like I always have. Now I just need to make it happen. SEE YA!
Old 04-14-2016, 06:54 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Have you never seen the rear window that says "trucks are for girls"? My wife wanted to keep my 2015 F150 as her daily driver. The only reason she did not is with that, my 2016 F250, and my daughter's Lincoln we had a space problem so she kept the 2014 Escape. There are a lot of full size SUVs that will pull your TT. Look at the payload 1st. Easier to find one that can pull the loaded weight than carry the tongue weight and hitch. If you go the MH route and want to tow a vehicle you get an extra motor to maintain and make sure you get a toad that can be towed 4 wheels down. Wait until you see the cost of that set up. Been there and love the 5er.

I've see the sticker! Lol! I guess it's a good problem to have? I think I'll do my SUV research today. That might be the best solution. Thank you!
Old 04-14-2016, 07:04 AM   #32
Georgia Rally Coordinator

How is he SUV going to help ya move this large tt? Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:22 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
How is he SUV going to help ya move this large tt? Later RJD

Well, some might think a large SUV would be able to safely handle towing my TT. I've been researching towing capacities here...

http://www.onlinetowingguide.com/gui...apacities.html

However, you and I both know the towing capacity is not the only factor.
After I complete my research, I may find it's not even possible and if that's the case, then on to the next option. At least I have options. We have several trips planned this spring and summer so I need to get on it!
Old 04-14-2016, 07:54 AM   #34
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

When I had my 2005 Chevy Suburban I was towing a 2012 Grey Wolf 21rr just fine. Mine was the toy hauler version. If you prefer an SUV over a truck you might look into those or the Ford Excursion. Some of the Excursions were made with a diesel. You can also find Suburbans that are 2500s as well. Rare and hard to find but they do exist.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:59 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra glide View Post
When I had my 2005 Chevy Suburban I was towing a 2012 Grey Wolf 21rr just fine. Mine was the toy hauler version. If you prefer an SUV over a truck you might look into those or the Ford Excursion. Some of the Excursions were made with a diesel. You can also find Suburbans that are 2500s as well. Rare and hard to find but they do exist.
X2. Our Excursion can handle our Roo 21SS with plenty to spare.
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:26 AM   #36

We realize that everyone is different. DW loves our Silverado 1500 ext cab. She drives it more that I do when we are not on the road, then it's 50/50. She also uses the truck bed a lot. This is not a sale pitch because we have a Chevy. The new pickups (any brand) ride as well as any car or SUV. They also have fuel management (Ford has EcoBoost) for improved fuel economy. You may also find that a large SUV may be similar priced, if not more) depending on options. We have a soft tonneau cover on our bed.The only thing pickups can not offer is 3rd row seating. Our suggestion, as other's input here, is to take a good look, drive them, then decide. Your options are open now. Explore all of them.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:50 PM   #37

Dont you have a friend or relative that could help you out with this?
JoeNanMinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:31 PM   #38

Glad you want to continue camping with your daughter. My sister and I camp with our daughters all the time and leave the menfolk home. We go out at least 12 - 13 trips a year and have so many wonderful memories.
I know there are a couple of folks that tow a long trailer with either the Durango and the Grand Cherokee. Personally, I would not want to. When we were looking to move up from our pop-up, I wanted to stay under 25 feet both due to the wheelbase of the SUV and longer trailers not always fitting into sites we like... I also wanted to stay under a trailer GVWR of 6000lbs with my Durango just because i have towed at max weight before and did not like it. So, if you want to keep your current trailer, I think you should be looking at full size SUV or truck. You already know that with a different trailer, you open up alot of possibilities for the TV that fits you and can do the job.
Happy hunting!
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:34 PM   #39

Although I towed with an SUV for years, your camper is longer than what I'd be comfortable towing.

A compromise between daily driver and TV would be:
Ecodiesel. Longer wheel base should tow it fine and the diesel gets almost 30mpg on the highway when unloaded

F150 Ecoboost: A used XLT gets ok mileage and can tow a 747 ;-)
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:34 PM   #40

Thank you so much for all of the great input. We went camping over the weekend. After paying extra attention to all the details involved with the TT/TV....I think a Class C is a better option for me. Seems easier to change one thing rather than a new TV that doesn't fit the rest of my day to day driving. Plus, a second set of eyes wouldn't be available for hook up time, tight maneuvering etc.
More research....

Tags
tow vehicle