Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 06:35 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbells View Post
Every study on the subject has proven loud motorcycles are more dangerous than quieter ones. Loud bikes being safer is a myth.
“Every study” ��

I’ll go with personal experience where it has saved me several times.

I’d like for you to show me a “study” that proves that motorcycles were not involved in accidents because of loud pipes. You can’t, because it is not a statistic that is collected, just like stopped mass shootings, you can’t prove this type of thing because nothing happened.
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply
Old 06-28-2021, 06:42 PM   #62

Not just trucks

I agree 100% with what you all have been saying. However all this ridiculous noise is not just trucks. I see almost ever day these small, usually foreign tiny cars with tailpipes as big as an F-450 screaming down the roadway. It's noise is just plain obnoxious to put it mildly. Putting glass-packs on a V-8 is one thing that produces a maybe you could say, mellow sound. Putting these on those tiny cars achieves nothing; it's like putting a muffler on, say a sewing machine!
dpbain1 is offline   Reply
Old 06-28-2021, 06:46 PM   #63

Just came back from camping this weekend. My biggest annoyance was unleashed dogs and the constant barking. We also have a small dog and he is trained not to bark. When walking him through the park on leash I've had way to many encorters with aggressive dogs trying to get a piece of him. It's got to the point I have to carry my bear repellent for protection.
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply
Old 06-28-2021, 06:49 PM   #64

Luckily for us one of the campgrounds we spend a week over a major summer holiday enforces the rules to the letter. If there is excessive noise of any kind during quiet times, dogs barking constantly or not leashed and cleaned up after all that needs to be done is tell the host and the information gets passed along to the DNR people who have as much jurisdiction and authority as a state trooper. They get one warning from the officer on duty, after that the offending people are asked to leave.

Campgrounds that actually enforce the rules are few and far between and that is what keeps us returning every year.

Rules compliance, courtesy and consideration is in short supply these days. The rules don't apply to some and you see it every day in all kinds of situations. It's refreshing when the offenders are dealt with properly.
Rockwood Travelers is offline   Reply
Old 06-28-2021, 06:49 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbenedict View Post
“Every study” ��

I’ll go with personal experience where it has saved me several times.

I’d like for you to show me a “study” that proves that motorcycles were not involved in accidents because of loud pipes. You can’t, because it is not a statistic that is collected, just like stopped mass shootings, you can’t prove this type of thing because nothing happened.

Its more dangerous to ride a loud bike than a quiet one because everyone wants to shoot you.
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply
Old 06-28-2021, 07:05 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I agree, but nothing is new this has been going on for years. Have not noticed a change..

At least the campground we go to does not allow gas golf carts and motorcycles due to the loud noise............ Hate when the neighbor blasts their outdoor speakers.

You are stereotyping motorcycles as being loud. Not all of them are loud. I have one that is no louder than a car and much less loud than most diesels. There are a lot of mostly HD's that are extremely loud after they change the mufflers. and they blip the throttle to let everyone know they are there. Of course they wear ear plugs while riding. It's a culture thing. Same as the little four cylinder cars with the annoying farty exhaust systems.
gw1800 is offline   Reply
Old 06-28-2021, 07:07 PM   #67

It’s not just loud vehicles. We were across from a camper who arrived after 8:00 Friday evening. That is understandable as not everyone can take off work early, but at 9:30 pm he started his gas powered leaf blower to clean up his site.
Bob Springer is offline   Reply
Old 06-28-2021, 07:11 PM   #68
Site Team

Emotions heating up. so I turned on hot topic button.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply
Old 06-28-2021, 07:20 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy View Post
Its more dangerous to ride a loud bike than a quiet one because everyone wants to shoot you.
There is that.

When I was still riding I just learned to make sure I could be seen. Positioned myself so the driver in front of me could see me in rear view mirror(s) and wore bright colored riding gear. Black leather may look "bad" when walking in a bar but kind of sucks for visibility.

As for loud exhaust, drivers today probably can't hear with their megawatt sound systems cranked up.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply
Old 06-28-2021, 07:32 PM   #70

And Then . . .

. . . there is the story my Dad used to tell back in the seventies about the family that came in at 10:00 PM with a tent and proceeded to drive in the steel tent pegs with a round-nosed SHOVEL.

Paul

2023 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2608BS
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2502KS
2012 Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel
2plus1 is offline   Reply
Old 06-28-2021, 07:34 PM   #71
Open Space Wanted

Talking Why Can't We Be Friends?

Maybe they should outlaw diesel/gas tow vehicles/RVs at camp grounds and only allow electric vehicles. This would also cut down on monster trailers since towing capacity would be greatly reduced. This would help curtail all the waste from more is better. And the machismo, mine is bigger than yours would go away.

Everyone would do their part saving the trees and could come together and sing kumbaya under the stars and around the campfire.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply
Old 06-28-2021, 07:46 PM   #72

Quote:
I’m with the “why do you need to idle the diesel all morning” crowd as well as the “noise past midnight is a bit much” crowd. I also have a louder than stock motorcycle for a reason. Motorcycles are hard to notice on the road. Unless you have ever ridden one you don’t realize how much people pull out in front of, drive into the lane of, or come right at one while passing. It’s an experience like no other. Any bit of NOTICE ME is good for safety, that includes loud pipes, riding near the line in the center of the road, etc. There is also no reason to excessively idle or rev a motorcycle in a campground. I don’t want people to notice me because I think noisy pipes are cool, especially in a campground

My biggest gripe in a campground is not noise though, it’s light pollution. I like it dark, light by the fire, stars in full view. Some love their lights and don’t care how much they light up another’s area. It’s quite ignorant.

I’ll quit idling when you put a muffler on your bike. It’s only loud to the people you have already passed.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:49 PM   #73

2+1 Sorry. That was probably my dad and I but we did have a hammer. St. Louis to Disneyland in 1969 with a Ford Granada and small cargo trailer for the tent and coolers.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:55 PM   #74

Freebird

Dad was the diplomatic type, he just got up from the fire picked up his 2lb. dead-maul and proceeded to help them set up. It was clear sleep was going to be out of the question until they were done.

Paul

2023 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2608BS
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2502KS
2012 Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel
2plus1 is offline   Reply
Old 06-28-2021, 08:03 PM   #75

I believe there are all kinds of campgrounds that have all kinds of amenities that may or may not be attractive to people who are loud.

Unless you are living with your head in the sand you have to have noticed the decline in society's moral standard.

What I was taught is that good manners are always in style. Come to find out ...not everyone else was raised the same way.

If I expect to have a completely quiet camping experience I go boondocking to the most beautiful area I can find away from all humans. (did this recently in Moab and had a blast, with out seeing anyone other than who was in our group). Otherwise I think you have to expect all of the things that everyone is complaining about to take place.

As RV parks are putting people closer and closer together and more and more people are living long term in RV's to keep from being completely homeless.

Many are not on vacation but attempting to raise families and dogs etc in RV parks. This new dynamic can not help but change the face of RV campgrounds nation wide.

My wife and I spend many hours planning the type of RV trips we are expecting way in advance if we expect to avoid any of the things we don't like.

The days of rolling into a campground and expecting perfect form are gone. You can still have it all it just takes much more careful planning. My 2 cents.
USMC0369 is offline   Reply
Old 06-28-2021, 08:17 PM   #76

I just camped at an RV park in downtown Long Beach and it was one of the Quieter camping experiences despite the roads and lack of solitude. The people in camp made it quieter…no motor homes running generators, no screaming kids, no barking dogs, no party crowds…just nice people camping quietly in a less than quiet setting. I was surprised and very grateful.

Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply
Old 06-28-2021, 08:37 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
I just camped at an RV park in downtown Long Beach and it was one of the Quieter camping experiences despite the roads and lack of solitude. The people in camp made it quieter…no motor homes running generators, no screaming kids, no barking dogs, no party crowds…just nice people camping quietly in a less than quiet setting. I was surprised and very grateful.

We just returned from a 2 week trip to two different campgrounds, one near Allentown PA and one near Rochester New York. The first one was very quiet all day and night. The second was typical with kids running around during the day. However, after 7PM, all the kids just disappeared and it was quiet until about 10AM. The campground personnel were great at enforcing the rules. Only had to be done one night,.
gw1800 is offline   Reply
Old 06-28-2021, 09:18 PM   #78
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
The second was typical with kids running around during the day. However, after 7PM, all the kids just disappeared and it was quiet
You're welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chittychittybangbangchildcatcher1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	258070  
NJKris is online now   Reply
Old 06-28-2021, 09:24 PM   #79

😉

Thank you sir 👍🏻
Dcountry2005 is offline   Reply
Old 06-28-2021, 09:24 PM   #80
Canadian Member

Quote:
I’m with the “why do you need to idle the diesel all morning” crowd as well as the “noise past midnight is a bit much” crowd. I also have a louder than stock motorcycle for a reason. Motorcycles are hard to notice on the road. Unless you have ever ridden one you don’t realize how much people pull out in front of, drive into the lane of, or come right at one while passing. It’s an experience like no other. Any bit of NOTICE ME is good for safety, that includes loud pipes, riding near the line in the center of the road, etc. There is also no reason to excessively idle or rev a motorcycle in a campground. I don’t want people to notice me because I think noisy pipes are cool, especially in a campground

My biggest gripe in a campground is not noise though, it’s light pollution. I like it dark, light by the fire, stars in full view. Some love their lights and don’t care how much they light up another’s area. It’s quite ignorant.
Sorry, I have to disagree…there are no studies that I’m aware of that confirm “loud pipes save lives”.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
campground, mpg, noise