Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 08:16 AM   #121
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1 View Post
Loud pipes on bikes or trucks is a cry for attention. These guys drive around looking to see who is looking at them.
Just wonder if Jimbo1 has ever been hit by a car while riding a motorcycle? Those of us that have realize it only takes one time (after spending months in the hospital trying to recover from massive injuries that still effect me to this day) to understand that whatever it takes to get drivers to "NOT KILL YOU" is worth it!
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply
Old 06-30-2021, 08:21 AM   #122
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsriding View Post
I'm not one but would likely be happier there than with the couple of people on here that apparently think there's something wrong with red necks. Seems very judgemental and not in the spirit of the thread.
I'm kind of one! I guess we'll have to crucify Jeff Foxworthy now! Poor Jeff...time to go cancel culture on ya buddy!
NJKris is online now   Reply
Old 06-30-2021, 08:23 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYO View Post
I'm usually pretty calm, but I lost it this spring at Anastasia SP FL.

Folks pulled in around 10:45 PM, straight pipe diesel. Left the thing running while they unloaded their kayaks, coolers etc. Of course they have to shout in order to hear each other. I was at the end of my second pour and foolishly informed the their truck was to loud.

All this after I had loaned them my air pump so they could pump up their jacuzzi.
i will never understand how some trucks can be soooooo loud.... granted, i have an 08 F350 6.4l diesel with a 4" straightpipe (i did not install, bought it that way this spring, the only truck we could find with less than 400k miles and less than $30k. i can start it up and at idle you can have a normal conversation right next to it without yelling. this truck also makes north of 600hp and 1000ft lb of torque... but at idle it is no louder than my father in laws bone stock 2004 f250 6.0 diesel... now, when i need to pull the 32ft 5ver out of the site, it gets a bit loud, but i try not to do that early....LOL

i am also looking into what would be a good muffler for it, as the drone on the road gets to be a bit much after 2 hrs of driving, reverberating off the trailer the whole way....
Old 06-30-2021, 08:28 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Just wonder if Jimbo1 has ever been hit by a car while riding a motorcycle? Those of us that have realize it only takes one time (after spending months in the hospital trying to recover from massive injuries that still effect me to this day) to understand that whatever it takes to get drivers to "NOT KILL YOU" is worth it!
jimbo1 is correct... it IS a cry for attention.... a cry for the people on thier phones to look up to see what that noise is and NOT HIT IT..... a cry to see the invisible biker that usually is not seen, and much easier to KILL if you hit them. they dont have the safety of a cage around them designed to save them... so they want YOU to stop looking at your phone and SEE THEM....

side note, i am glad you are still with us Nick, i have seen first hand how bad crashes can be on a bike, or on the side of the road in general. had a good friend killed by a distracted driver on the side of the highway... he was a roadside truck repair guy, semi drifted into the shoulder and.... yeah... truck driver was watching a movie on his ipad when he crashed into the truck my friend was working on.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:29 AM   #125
Insert witty title here

I have never once heard a motorcycle passing me until they already have regardless of how loud the exhaust is. I don’t buy the argument that it increases their safety. When I see / hear a loud anything whether it be car, truck, motorcycle, stereo etc, all I see is someone who just wants people to look at them and doesn’t give a hoot about the disturbance they are causing. It’s all about them and screw everyone else.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply
Old 06-30-2021, 08:36 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin_tdc View Post
You must ride as though "they" don't see you

I used to ride like they don’t see me, I eventually decided that wasn’t good enough. I decided to ride like everyone could see me and was just waiting to take me out in an “accident.”
Fortunately no one else was successful , I on the other hand, found some gravel with the front wheel going around a corner and had the DW on the back. I walked away with a bruise and a leather burn on my arm. DW had abrasions on her hands and knees, the knee ones left scars that she still tells the kids I caused
Daxinarian is offline   Reply
Old 06-30-2021, 08:41 AM   #127
Trailer Park Supervisor

I think the 'loud for safety' theory is more myth also, as I am one of those who never hears a loud bike until it is past me. If anything, I think it may suddenly startle another driver as it goes by with the sudden crazy loud sound. I am very situationally aware, having worked on an aircraft carrier deck. You can't hear ANYTHING, so you become a swivel head, constantly looking around. So I normally see a biker long before I hear them. I admit I've been taken by surprise a few times by ones passing me at high speed, but again, by time you hear noise and react to it, it is already past you.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:50 AM   #128
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I think the 'loud for safety' theory is more myth also, as I am one of those who never hears a loud bike until it is past me. If anything, I think it may suddenly startle another driver as it goes by with the sudden crazy loud sound. I am very situationally aware, having worked on an aircraft carrier deck. You can't hear ANYTHING, so you become a swivel head, constantly looking around. So I normally see a biker long before I hear them. I admit I've been taken by surprise a few times by ones passing me at high speed, but again, by time you hear noise and react to it, it is already past you.
If you can't hear them until they have passed you why are you complaining about the noise?

I can't make you understand the sheer terror of being struck at 60 miles an hour by a car. Or the sorrow felt when you tell a loved one that has been slaughtered and the "killers" only response is "Oh, I didn't see them!"

I will not respond to further items in the email as it hits to close to home.

Happy camping all.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply
Old 06-30-2021, 08:51 AM   #129

Like someone else said earlier, loud exhaust on cycles only work after they pass you.
High beams, extra bright color jackets or shirts and helmets do a great job helping people see cycles coming.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:52 AM   #130

The "theory" that loud pipes save lives is quite similar to the one about wearing a helmet will break your neck in a crash..
1100mike is offline   Reply
Old 06-30-2021, 09:03 AM   #131
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
If you can't hear them until they have passed you why are you complaining about the noise?

I can't make you understand the sheer terror of being struck at 60 miles an hour by a car. Or the sorrow felt when you tell a loved one that has been slaughtered and the "killers" only response is "Oh, I didn't see them!"

I will not respond to further items in the email as it hits to close to home.

Happy camping all.
I actually never complained about the noise, just explaining how I don't believe the noise is beneficial to the rider, and obviously didn't do anything to prevent your horrible crash. I am no stranger to horrible crashes, I was hit by two vehicles at similar speeds just waiting to turn into my neighborhood after work one morning 6 years ago almost to today. Broken back, broken ribs, purple as an eggplant all over, and worst of all, blew out my left ear. How ironic is that? Deaf in left ear now.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:11 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100mike View Post
The "theory" that loud pipes save lives is quite similar to the one about wearing a helmet will break your neck in a crash..

In NJ nobody follows this helmet rule -

Be equipped with a chinstrap and have at least four square inches of red, amber, or white reflectorized tape on each side.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:18 AM   #133

It is fun to watch how threads morph. Like how this one went from campground noise to how loud motorcycles are safer. Which seems ridiculous to me as motorcycles are just inherently dangerous and being extra loud could work either for or against safety.
And the loud exhaust on vehicles: If you start your very quiet, completely stock gas engine next to my bedroom window at 5am, you will wake me up. So the level of exhaust noise isn't really a factor.
It's just part of cramped RV parks.
And if louder, non-stock exhaust is a cry for attention, then I guess I'm yelling. All my eight cylinder gas vehicles have nicely tuned dual exhaust and my diesel has a 5" down pipe back straight exhaust. And diesels only smoke if the driver wants them to and sets the tune accordingly. Mines smokes very little and only a puff when switching gears pulling up a grade. I try to be as quiet as possible when in congested areas, but I certainly love to listen to the exhaust when driving myself around
I hope I never get so old and cranky that the wonderful deep throaty sound of a muscle car going by for a few seconds annoys me!!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply
Old 06-30-2021, 09:32 AM   #134
Trailer Park Supervisor

Nicely tuned is one thing. Obnoxiously loud 'look at me' is another. My Corvette has a nicely tuned performance exhaust. It is not like an inverter generator, but it sounds reasonable. If I 'get on it', it sounds like I've waken a pack of howling banshees under the hood. But I don't sit at lights, or when idling, gunning the engine like a teenager. I have to admit I have a weakness for tunnels. Love dropping into 2nd gear and punching it in a tunnel.
Old 06-30-2021, 01:00 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Nicely tuned is one thing. Obnoxiously loud 'look at me' is another. My Corvette has a nicely tuned performance exhaust. It is not like an inverter generator, but it sounds reasonable. If I 'get on it', it sounds like I've waken a pack of howling banshees under the hood. But I don't sit at lights, or when idling, gunning the engine like a teenager. I have to admit I have a weakness for tunnels. Love dropping into 2nd gear and punching it in a tunnel.
Don't most with cars like yours do that in tunnels?

The rest just honk horns. LMAO

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply
Old 06-30-2021, 01:03 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
What's so wrong about the factory exhaust that meets noise standards?.
Factory exhaust comes loud, mine has factory Indian Roadmaster stage 2 pipes as configured from dealer.
Yes, I “blip” the throttle/exhaust to wake up the texting “driver” oblivious that the light changed to green. It get’s people’s attention, even when I’m behind them. The factory horn is weak.
Try to separate out the guys who constantly rev their bikes from the ones out there just riding and wanting others to be aware of them sharing the road.

I was with others here about the loud pipes being unnecessary until I noticed how much my louder Indian gets distracted drivers to pay attention. Used to ride a honda and it was quiet.

Someone here made the comment that I may startle a distracted driver and it’s somehow more dangerous to wake them up, that’s funny.

As far as in campgrounds, there is no reason that a bike cannot be ridden without revving it constantly. We experienced a large group of bikers in a state park last year, about ¼ of them were obnoxious while the others were not. Had nothing to do with their choice of pipes.
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply
Old 06-30-2021, 01:13 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
Like someone else said earlier, loud exhaust on cycles only work after they pass you.
High beams, extra bright color jackets or shirts and helmets do a great job helping people see cycles coming.
Except that you can get the attention of a driver before passing so that is completely false. Multiple times people have started to pull out in front of me while they were looking the other way only to hear me, swing their head around, and stop.
I’m confident everyone that has this opinion that louder pipes are only heard from behind has never ridden a bike with louder pipes.
The “studies” that claim it’s a myth are done using statistics that cannot include all of these near misses that avoided a crash. That type of information is simply not collected.
I’m with you on helmets and lights. I also don’t care if other’s choose to not wear a helmet, it’s a free country.
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply
Old 06-30-2021, 01:30 PM   #138
Insert witty title here

Then install a horn on your bike that you can use when needed and dont be loud ALL the time. Once in a while to get another drivers attention is fine. Loud noise all the time is nothing more than scream for everyone to look at you.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply
Old 06-30-2021, 01:32 PM   #139
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbenedict View Post
Except that you can get the attention of a driver before passing so that is completely false. Multiple times people have started to pull out in front of me while they were looking the other way only to hear me, swing their head around, and stop.
The problem with anecdotal evidence like that is there is really no proof that they turned their head because they heard you. They may have just sensed someone or something there and turned to look.

Really it's mostly science and how sound travels. Especially when the thing making the sound is pointed in the opposite direction.

There's a reason the horns on most vehicles are pointed forward...
Iwritecode is online now   Reply
Old 06-30-2021, 03:03 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Then install a horn on your bike that you can use when needed and dont be loud ALL the time. Once in a while to get another drivers attention is fine. Loud noise all the time is nothing more than scream for everyone to look at you.

I always wanted to install a semi-truck air horn on the bike.
Daxinarian is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
campground, mpg, noise