Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 08:33 AM   #21
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
I also love the diesel guys that are leaving the campground at 6am but have to start their truck at 5:30 am and let it idle for 30 minutes.
And it's not even cold out. Don't get me going acadian Bob! That was one of my first RV park experiences. Laying in bed at 0530 staring at the ceiling wondering when the bad man would go away while this thing that sounded like an M1 Tank ran 10 feet outside my paper thin walls. I actually started a whole thread on that.
NJKris is offline   Reply
Old 06-22-2021, 08:40 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
I also love the diesel guys that are leaving the campground at 6am but have to start their truck at 5:30 am and let it idle for 30 minutes.
Ok...I will admit this one bugs me a bit, especially if they are real close to my site. I'm no expert on diesel having only recently started learning how they tick when I married into a home with a diesel lawn tractor. I'm fairly certain, particularly during summer weather, that they don't need to idle for 30-60 minutes before they are ready to drive.
smkauffman is offline   Reply
Old 06-22-2021, 08:50 AM   #23

Rednheck campgrounds are filled with loud exhausts and loud music.

-- Chuck
Old 06-22-2021, 08:57 AM   #24

I only warm up my diesel in the early morn for extended periods when my neighbor kept me awake past 10pm with loud music, bright lights, loud conversation, smoky fire, aromatic grilling, checking their TV is locked with the remote making it honk several times, coming in late and pointing their headlights at my RV, talking baby talk to their fur baby while it takes a dump under the nose of my fifth wheel, or inferred that 'redneck' is a duragatory term
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply
Old 06-22-2021, 09:12 AM   #25
OYO

I'm usually pretty calm, but I lost it this spring at Anastasia SP FL.

Folks pulled in around 10:45 PM, straight pipe diesel. Left the thing running while they unloaded their kayaks, coolers etc. Of course they have to shout in order to hear each other. I was at the end of my second pour and foolishly informed the their truck was to loud.

All this after I had loaned them my air pump so they could pump up their jacuzzi.
OYO is offline   Reply
Old 06-22-2021, 09:13 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I only warm up my diesel in the early morn for extended periods when my neighbor kept me awake past 10pm with loud music, bright lights, loud conversation, smoky fire, aromatic grilling, checking their TV is locked with the remote making it honk several times, coming in late and pointing their headlights at my RV, or talking baby talk to their fur baby while it takes a dump under the nose of my fifth wheel
This one made me chuckle. I dont get too bent out of shape about loud groups at the campfire, even after quiet hours (within reason, 3 hours beyond that noise cut off is a little much). Music doesnt bother me much (though I do think it is a bit presumptuous for them to think they know what type of music the rest of the campground likes to hear, lol). Kids at the playground will be kids at the playground (or pool). But one thing that absolutely drives me bonkers are the honks from locking a vehicle. Once will flash the lights. Ok, maybe you cant see the lights because there isnt a direct line of sight, so the second one gives a honk. Got it. No need for more than one honk. But hearing it honk 5, 6, 8 times???? Even walking through a parking lot at the grocery store, and hearing someone do it over and over and over. I just look at my wife and roll my eyes, and she laughs cuz she knows it drives me insane because it is beyond stoooopid. Sometimes you catch a glimpse of the honker. They get out, walk away, and you see them with their arm up in the air, pointing their key fob toward the vehicle (I dont think that helps, by the way...) and just pressing it over and over and over and over and over, as they walk away not even looking. Oh well, what can you do. It has shifted from irrational anger to laughter because of its absurdity. So at least there is that, lol.

Old 06-22-2021, 09:13 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I only warm up my diesel in the early morn for extended periods when my neighbor kept me awake past 10pm with loud music, bright lights, loud conversation, smoky fire, aromatic grilling, checking their TV is locked with the remote making it honk several times, coming in late and pointing their headlights at my RV, talking baby talk to their fur baby while it takes a dump under the nose of my fifth wheel, or inferred that 'redneck' is a duragatory term

That’s some list! Sounds like a good idea, but not sure the smoky fire issue should be on the list🤣
Old 06-22-2021, 09:17 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
That’s some list! Sounds like a good idea, but not sure the smoky fire issue should be on the list[emoji1787]
[emoji16][emoji16][emoji1787]
Old 06-22-2021, 10:58 AM   #29

one that got me was they have these damn bright lights on the front of the 5th wheel that are used for unhooking, but they leave them on all night as decorations. I asked her to turn them off and she replied "let me go ask my boyfriend if I am allowed". ???
TowPro is offline   Reply
Old 06-22-2021, 11:25 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
one that got me was they have these damn bright lights on the front of the 5th wheel that are used for unhooking, but they leave them on all night as decorations. I asked her to turn them off and she replied "let me go ask my boyfriend if I am allowed". ???
I'm betting that will all change after marriage
Old 06-22-2021, 12:01 PM   #31
Insert witty title here

Hey, look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me .....Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1624381070193.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	257595

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply
Old 06-22-2021, 12:14 PM   #32

If I go to Myrtle Beach in a 850 campsite campground I expect some noise. ...... If expect quiet and want to see and hear nature.... I can stay home.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply
Old 06-22-2021, 01:06 PM   #33

When Did We Become Our Parents?

The last trip we pulled in on a Tuesday morning, the day after memorial day. It was totally quiet except for the sounds of nature. Friday rig after rig pulled in and gone was the silence. Loud trucks, music of ALL genres, dogs barking, kids squealing, loud laughter, doors banging, horns honking, lots of smoke and everything else that goes with lots of people of all shapes, sizes, race and belief. My first thought was there goes the peace and quiet and I could have kept that mind set but instead I chose to meet and make new friends of all ages. Life is way too short to let little things get in the way.
momraising5boyz is offline   Reply
Old 06-22-2021, 01:28 PM   #34
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post

Another time there was a very loud dog barking long into the night. Folks had him tied under the picnic table and he was all twisted up. They were, of course, passed out in a tent 5 feet away...

-- Chuck
We must have been in the same CG at the same time.....
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply
Old 06-22-2021, 01:49 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkauffman View Post
The only time recently I have really noticed any excessive noise was during Ohio Bike Week. That's to be expected and you just need to know going in that sleep may not be plentiful for the week.

It does seem like some people spend a lot of time running in and out of the campground in their trucks but it hasn't been enough noise to really bother me.

I have a somewhat loud bike and fairly loud truck and always idle through the campground when I come and go. I like to try to keep the noise and dust if there's stone drives down. I also know that at any moment kids and/or pets could appear in the road. Could even be an adult suddenly appear from behind a parked truck or something.
I have a "biker neighbor" that is very considerate when he leaves on his Harley.

Have another neighbor that invites all his friends with "bikes" over to his house so they can start their werkend rides from his place.

6-8 bikes all leaving "at full blast" in a 25 mph residential area. Loud enough to make people consider drastic action.

Never understood the need to remove factory exhaust and add new that just makes it louder. I remember the unmodified police Harleys were more than fast enough and far less deafening.

Noise in campgrounds from the obnoxious is another reason I really enjoy boondocking. Rarely hear others come or go.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply
Old 06-22-2021, 02:10 PM   #36
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
...Never understood the need to remove factory exhaust and add new that just makes it louder.
Never understood that, either. They will lay out some serious cash for those bikes and the first thing they do is yank off the factory pipes and install their own. The Municipality of Anchorage had a law regulating motor vehicle exhaust noise, but it's either been repealed, or they just don't enforce it anymore.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply
Old 06-22-2021, 02:13 PM   #37

Not campground related but...

I live in an area where people love to roll coal with their trucks. Aside from the Durango R/T and her sweet but thirsty V8, I drive a Tesla mainly because it saves me hundreds in gas every month, and also the ability to blow away Vettes, Stangs, or other muscle cars at the stoplight is awesome. The coal rollers love nothing more than pulling in front of me and bellowing huge amount of smoke from their exhausts.

I know there are anatomical insecurities related to things like this, but it is pretty annoying.
ciditad is offline   Reply
Old 06-22-2021, 03:48 PM   #38

What is a “coal roller”?

I’ve never heard that term.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:07 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesptr View Post
What is a “coal roller”?

Old 06-22-2021, 04:10 PM   #40
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesptr View Post
What is a “coal roller”?

From Wikipedia

Quote:
Rolling coal is the practice of modifying a diesel engine to increase the amount of fuel entering the engine in order to emit large amounts of black or grey sooty exhaust fumes, diesel fuel that has not undergone complete combustion, into the air.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
campground, mpg, noise